post #11 of 25 Old 11-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
@DaveP.

Mind if I ask the brand of the remote start if ya know etc?
This is a little long, but its your thread, so read-up.

Mine is a Viper. This truck was my first install in 2008. I've done a bunch more since then, always with DEI products (all the "snake brands" Viper, Python, etc are DEI), and I've learned a lot.

When the OO had it, he lived in the Rockies and had to plug it in because it was outdoors. He would go out in the single digits and snow in his PJ's to start it, take his shower and get dressed then go out and leave. Because of the EBPV, it wouldn't make power to safely pull onto the Highway in front of his house until it was adequately warmed up. His wife got tired of hearing him ***** so she approached me about putting a R/S in it so he didn't have to go out in the snow twice.

I have a sophisticated Ghost Switch system (I've mentioned it from time to time), which is integrated into the alarm / RKE / Remote Start system. Lots of wires in my truck have been cut, but I know what I'm doing. My installs don't create problems where none existed before I worked on it. The original Viper was fine, but the fobs finally cratered and were more expensive to replace than a new system with updated fobs. I just spliced the new brains wires to the old wires, I left the interfaces to the truck wires untouched. My system is complicated, but has functioned flawlessly for 12 years.

There are stand-alone Remote Starts that aren't too complicated to install. I know the wire colors in the truck by memory, and can suggest some install techniques learned by experience that will make it neat and simple. Look at Viper 4001 4003 series. If you go for it, shout out. I'll help you.

This pic is from a few years ago. Note the cluster-fuc of connections in the center of the pic. These are the interfaces to the Ignition switch. I know how to do these much more neatly now. The black box on the right of the pic is the satellite relay for the R/S. Newer equipment has the relays onboard, and are more compact. A lot of the other mass of wiring is for the ghost switch, Pac Brake, and other things. I'd love to clean this up. But it all works.

mounting onboard battery maintainer-img_2692.jpg
JustinOOO9 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 11-05-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1706 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I've never installed a alarm/remote system but figured it can't be impossible as long as I take my time and double check things. I'll look more into it to be honest. Also Id probably opt for a security/remote start combo since it makes sense in my mind and we use the truck for our road trips and I don't quite like relying on my usual techniques etc.

I'll send you a PM if I get brave enough to try this myself but you have my promise not to stalk you if/when I ask for any tidbits of wisdom hahaha.
DaveP. likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #13 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 06:44 PM

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,798 Posts
Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Quoted: 4034 Post(s)
DEI viper for my truck also it was the same unit that saved my last truck from being stolen ( when somone popped the door handle the stock truck would think someone used the key)
the viper sounded and they drove off in their van without ever entering the truck

the Ravelco is ok but then you can not remote start, and they have let tons of them onto the gray market I have seen them brand new for as low 20 bucks

the old days they only sold to authorized sellers and you had to buy them installed unless you made special arrangements and did not live near an authorized retailer

their real deterent is when you goop up the splice wire area with non drying sealant and make it less than fun to figure out dummy wires from real splices

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 09:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
This is the "brains" of my self-designed, self-installed passive Ghost Switch system. I did this system in 2013 shortly after I purchased the truck. Again, I've thought of a few aspects I could do differently. I can eliminate 4 relays with different circuitry I didn't think of 7 years ago. But again, it works flawlessly, so I'm not motivated to tear into it just because I can make it better. It works the way it is. Every time I turn it off and open the door, the truck is protected.

No one is going to defeat this without many hours of tracing wires, and a through understanding of the truck's wires it is interfaced to. This was about 30 hours to fab and install. Not including design time during coffee hour.

mounting onboard battery maintainer-img_2696.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2695.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	724921  
JustinOOO9 likes this.
post #15 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
shoot dang lol! Not gonna lie that looks intense! I found two installers for Viper so I was going to see what prices looked like. My Dad bought a newer Toyota that someone did a crappy job on a diy alarm so a friend from work called a local guy who did a great job. I will see if I have pics. But he turned a rats nest crack job into something that looked oem and re set up the oem alarm. If someone stole his truck he wouldn't make it out of the driveway though so hes not worried.

As much as I love the diy stuff I may call a professional and at least entertain some quotes for a viper system. Does it has a big draw on the batteries? I only drive the truck one or twice every 2 weeks in the winter but, way more often in the summer. Hence my whole onboard battery tender situation haha.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #16 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
shoot dang lol! Not gonna lie that looks intense! I found two installers for Viper so I was going to see what prices looked like. My Dad bought a newer Toyota that someone did a crappy job on a diy alarm so a friend from work called a local guy who did a great job. I will see if I have pics. But he turned a rats nest crack job into something that looked oem and re set up the oem alarm. If someone stole his truck he wouldn't make it out of the driveway though so hes not worried.

As much as I love the diy stuff I may call a professional and at least entertain some quotes for a viper system. Does it has a big draw on the batteries? I only drive the truck one or twice every 2 weeks in the winter but, way more often in the summer. Hence my whole onboard battery tender situation haha.
If you've never done one before and don't plan on doing many more in the future my advice is to just pay a reputable person to do it.

It really is as easy as following all of the steps and doing things correctly but if you have no experience it's the "gotchas" that will surely frustrate you. If you're not a patient person than completely forget about doing it yourself.

When you install these things you are cutting and splicing into important stuff which can seriously affect the reliability of your vehicle now and well into the future.

Then again, if you are looking for something to do, have the time to dedicate to the task, have a bit more than cursory experience with 12v (and feel confident) -- go for it.

It's a rewarding experience when you've done the work yourself and press that start button on the fob for the first time and the vehicle starts up w/o letting any of the magic smoke out from under the dash.

Good luck -- and you can't go wrong with the DEI stuff.

-RF
DaveP. likes this.
post #17 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
I do pretty much all repairs and maintenance for the vehicles and house but Im the first to admit im not afraid to call an expert with some things. I am moving in a couple of weeks and the truck isn't a daily driver anymore so im feeling calling a professional may be the best route for me. This weekend I will experiment with installing the onboard noco battery tender too and will post pics. to date, I have found TWO pictures of battery tenders/nocos mounted. a battery tender 800 on powerstrokenation or FTE and a noco like mine on a 4runner. Hopefully someone will find this and get more ideas of mounting the darn things lol.

I was more worried about heat and vibration but not so much at this point etc. I'll update regarding my mounting experience and when I can get the DEI/Viper unit installed. really appreciate the great info as always.

post #18 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 01:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
As far as battery maintainers go, I don't believe a better one is made than CTEK. They come with the wiring that you can leave connected to the battery terminals, and they use a quick connect from the maintainer to the battery. It works very nicely if you use them frequently on multiple vehicles.
post #19 of 25 Old 11-09-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Not my favorite spot as the face will get scratched eventually but wow Ford won the competition in cramming the most stuff in the engine bay award for sure!

I have the wire ran next to the block heater for now. I’m gonna get tiny bolts with washers as I don’t truck the little screws holding it down on they rubber plastic cover but for now seems to be fine.

Not really sure where else I could put it because it’s bigger than it looks when you start test fitting spots lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ED096504-D374-4EF4-921E-11088A868192_1573338972514.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	725017  
ZMANN and voodooridr like this.

post #20 of 25 Old 11-09-2019, 05:22 PM

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,798 Posts
Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Quoted: 4034 Post(s)
it is better to let an authorized retailer do the DEI install so the warranty is good they do not warranty DIY

chances are low that you would have a module s failure but it happens ,, I had the local retailer do mine then i went and took all their scotch locks off and soldered the whole install
added my own extras and bought a DEI bit writter to customize the functions

6.0 flush pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode