Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

P1211 and P1249 Input Needed

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Bri_Man57 
#1 ·
Hey gents,

Got a couple code questions I would like your input on.

Truck is an 02 Zf6, pretty much stock except an S&B Intake, 4" exhaust, and a hydra using the standard PHP tunes. 232k on the clock.

Both situations below happen after towing with the 65HP "light Tow" PHP tune, not crazy heavy, 1500lb camper in the bed, 7k trailer behind me.

Continuously get P1249, and its because my "red tube" to the waste gate is not hooked up. Not really surprised EXCEPT.......I thought the tunes would have written this out?? Or since I have a hydra, should I have that "red tube" hooked up?

Newer issue and more concerning, starting to pick up P1211 which is ICP is below/above desired level (gonna guess below). Truck has both new ICP and IPR in the last 1.5 years because the IPR failed. Truck never starts hard, never smokes (in that tow tune anyway), and no real difference in performance (although sometimes I do feel like the truck runs very slightly different-like it will tow better in OD (Remember Zf6) sometimes rather than others). I just get the CEL and when I check it that code is there. I have read that P1211 can be triggered by a tuner asking too much of the HPOP, but isnt that typically a soft code? Have gotten the P1249 plenty of times because of the overboost, but the P1211 seems like a newer issue.

So my question is for the P1211 - is this something to be concerned about or is it just the tuner asking too much? If that is the case, it is asking too much because the HPOP has 232k on it and is starting to indicate its inevitable failure? Supposedly, and I mean supposedly, the injectors were done at 175k but I can't prove or disprove that. When I did glow plugs and UVCH, the #8 injector was the AD code or whatever, where Ford put a different one in that cylinder for some issue they were having.

In short:
1: P1249 - should I have the wastegate hooked up with the Hydra installed?
2: P1211 - Is this something to be concerned about or is it just the tuner asking too much?

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#5 ·
Yes you should have the wastegate hooked up, and yes, the ICP code is from the hydra demanding too much high pressure oil.

I used to get the same code(s) with the canned tunes on my TS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I figured it was the Hydra demanding too much oil pressure, but is it simply demanding too much or can the stock HPOP not put it out due to wear? Like, should I be concerned about the HPOP?

The ICP code could also be if your ICP pigtail is on its way out. Take a look at it and if it looks like its out of a 20 year old truck I would change it.

Your red line isn't something I would keep unplugged. I'm surprised you have no mention of turbo surge by doing that with a 100% stock turbo and a tune while towing.
I do have an ICP gauge adapter between the pigtail and actual ICP, but will double check the pigtail. When I changed the ICP, i dont remeber noticing anything odd about it.

This is also in relation to what @7.3_TurboDiesel was saying about the red tube, the red tube being unplugged was a super common mod years ago, but wasnt sure if that was a stock only mod or something people would do with a tuner. Would the tuner hold the waste gate back from releasing pressure or it will be stock at 15 psi like justin is eluding to below? And the reason there is no mention of surge is because, I simply didnt mention it lol. It definitely get surge, I have to back out of the throttle to get it to stop.

For the 249 wastegate solenoid code:

That's TOTAL crap to say you have to had the red tube plugged in... That's not affecting the wastegate code at all... The tune is pushing your boost what the ecm and maf/map can read so it throws the code. Clear it and ignore it. A custom tune can and should eliminate it but you have absolutely no need to worry running your configuration with that code.

The tunes that come through the php library are not set to turn the over boost code off and I have gotten that code running stock file with a heavy haul on a long steep grade hill. Again do not plug the red tube back in that's total nonsense and you'll hate the max 15ish psi boost too. Just clear the 249 code. I still get it every once in a while with stock ecm tune, AIS intake, straight pipe and wicked wheel 2.

For the 1211 code:

The 1211 is a potential issue though. Like mentioned above if its the OEM/original unit I would replace it and the wire pigtail. Its common due to the heat cycles and oil causing damage to it overtime. Most likely at your miles the original HPOP is having trouble keeping up with the demand from the tunes compared to stock configuration. around 200-250k You will actually notice a albeit slight power increase with a new hpop, icp and ipr.

PS the manual transmission owners are a double edged sword for the two codes above. You control the shifting so you can learn the speed/rpms/boost that sets it off and keep it from coming back. Its doable with the 4r100 auto units but not as easy to stay in the specific rpm/boost range desired. Regarding the surge its super common on late 99-03 trucks but it was super common to run a wicked wheel or the new wicked wheel 2 to all but eliminate it. I can still get the slightest ever surge with the wicked wheel very rarely on heavy loads but I don't plan on getting injectors/turbo combo soon so I just ease out of it and its gone. ITS NOT CAUSED BY UNPLUGGING THE RED TUBE.... its caused by the surge of air over the compresser wheel. It can hurt the turbo in the long run because the disrupted air caused the bearings to bounce/jossel ever so slightly. very rolling smoothly over the oiled surfaces. The wicked wheel 1 was just the wheel from the early 99s by the way too...
For the red tube, do you think it will release at the 15 psi or will the tunes hold it longer? I sort of thought the tune should have wrote it out but apparently not based on what you are saying.

I'm guessing the pigtail is cheap, maybe I'll just go ahead and do it. The ICP itself is new as well as the IPR. I had planned on getting a whicked wheel 2/turbo rebuild kit at some point, but then I see people talking about their KC turbos and I start drooling! lol.

Do you think its time to start planning for an HPOP?

#3 ·
The ICP code could also be if your ICP pigtail is on its way out. Take a look at it and if it looks like its out of a 20 year old truck I would change it.

Your red line isn't something I would keep unplugged. I'm surprised you have no mention of turbo surge by doing that with a 100% stock turbo and a tune while towing.

#4 · (Edited)
For the 249 wastegate solenoid code:

That's TOTAL crap to say you have to had the red tube plugged in... That's not affecting the wastegate code at all... The tune is pushing your boost what the ecm and maf/map can read so it throws the code. Clear it and ignore it. A custom tune can and should eliminate it but you have absolutely no need to worry running your configuration with that code.

The tunes that come through the php library are not set to turn the over boost code off and I have gotten that code running stock file with a heavy haul on a long steep grade hill. Again do not plug the red tube back in that's total nonsense and you'll hate the max 15ish psi boost too. Just clear the 249 code. I still get it every once in a while with stock ecm tune, AIS intake, straight pipe and wicked wheel 2.

For the 1211 code:

The 1211 is a potential issue though. Like mentioned above if its the OEM/original unit I would replace it and the wire pigtail. Its common due to the heat cycles and oil causing damage to it overtime. Most likely at your miles the original HPOP is having trouble keeping up with the demand from the tunes compared to stock configuration. around 200-250k You will actually notice a albeit slight power increase with a new hpop, icp and ipr.

PS the manual transmission owners are a double edged sword for the two codes above. You control the shifting so you can learn the speed/rpms/boost that sets it off and keep it from coming back. Its doable with the 4r100 auto units but not as easy to stay in the specific rpm/boost range desired. Regarding the surge its super common on late 99-03 trucks but it was super common to run a wicked wheel or the new wicked wheel 2 to all but eliminate it. I can still get the slightest ever surge with the wicked wheel very rarely on heavy loads but I don't plan on getting injectors/turbo combo soon so I just ease out of it and its gone. ITS NOT CAUSED BY UNPLUGGING THE RED TUBE.... its caused by the surge of air over the compresser wheel. It can hurt the turbo in the long run because the disrupted air caused the bearings to bounce/jossel ever so slightly. very rolling smoothly over the oiled surfaces. The wicked wheel 1 was just the wheel from the early 99s by the way too...

#6 ·
The tune is overriding the normal ecm protocals for boost and the older php tunes just didn't have the boost override written into them. With the standard php tunes, and red tube unplugged you'll never hurt anything except if you push through turbo surge... The surge is actually bad for the turbo and even the wicked wheel 2 only cured mine 99% of the time. The red tube gets you 2-3 psi more and then you can squeeze another 1-2 by tightening the wastegate a few turns but you will not hurt anything with the mild php tunes and stock turbo/injectors.

As far as the hpop you need to get a few readings to see where you are at:

idle psi
full throttle with empty truck psi
and idle/full throttle with the tune

99.999999 etc% the tune is just pushing the stock hpop past its capabilities but again not harming anything. The tune is just allowing the truck to work within its safety limits not the stock limits etc.

read the pdf I attached. Its from swamps diesel and lays out basic testing to check your hpops status stock and tuned and is very accurate. Compare your readings to the specs and that will let you know if its worth replacing. Personally I feel the icp pigtal or the icp monitor splice is causing issues but that's just my 2 cents. But again just leave the red tube unplugged your not hurting anything. Ford designed the oem stock parameters very conservatively. Numerous people run 50+ hp tunes for 400k miles with zero issues outside of leaks, regular wear n tear etc.

good friend of mine has been running a tune for nearly 250k with zero issues other than some leaks which my truck had when I got it 100% stock lol.

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks Justin for the PDF. I ll give it a shot.

In regards to the turbo, I actually saw 24 psi on my gauge (which is a glow crap and I think reads a touch low) going up a decently steep but short grade loaded about a month ago. Had the best run I have ever had at it, was able to keep the RPM's higher than normal and actually noticed much less turbo surge. Truck was just eating it lol.

Just wondering if red tube plugged in, I should see higher boost since the tune will tell the wastegate to now open right? Or is the PHP library tunes so old that they dont do that either? lol

If I decide I dont want to do a turbo, I will probably do a WW2. Cure most the surge, little higher boost, hopefully slightly earlier boost, rebuild the turbo, I feel that is a super solid budget setup. I would probably keep the EBV because I am one of 6 guys on here who like it lol.

Taking the diesel loaded to the desert this weekend, might hook the red tube back up and see how much it sucks lol. I can also monitor the ICP readings this weekend, but rather than the hot tune empty like the PDF suggests, it will be a tow tune while loaded. Might get some info though. The PDF says to use the highest tune you have, I do have the 120 "race" tune loaded but dont really use it. Just seems a little much, I have PMR's, just never really felt the need to try it. The 100 performance is pretty spunky for the old gal.

#11 ·
so update, got too busy before my trip to mess with the truck, got unsettling news at work that made me distracted, but still went on my trip. Left red tube plugged in, didnt change the ICP gauge splicer deal, didnt change anything other than monitoring with torque. The Glow Crap gauge is definitely off a few psi (sigh). So, oddly enough I went almost the same place I went the weekend before, but didnt pull any codes this time. Checked before I came home, nothing, no CEL the entire time. Maybe I didnt hit high enough boost enough times to trigger the P1249 code, little odd I didnt trip the the P1211, didnt feel like i was easier on the truck.

Was trying to monitor ICP with torque, going up the big hill on the journey. Was in 65HP light tow tune. One issue is my torque is a little laggy, and it was hard to watch and keep my eyes on the road. From what I could see, HPOP seemed okay. In 4th (1 less than OD in the 6 speed) pulling the grade, the ICP stayed mostly in the 2600/2700 range, did see a couple blips in the 2300/2400 range but it recovered, but this could have been a slight adjustment to the throttle? When I saw it blip, the truck did NOTHING different, felt exactly the same, and when I would look down again the ICP was back in the 2600/2700 range.

So basically, not sure if I have any new information :) The swaps instructions say to do unloaded, high tune, full throttle, which I couldnt do in my situation. Camper is still on the truck, when I get it off I will follow their instructions more closely and see what I come up with.

1 more thing I thought was interesting, I happen to have % throttle as one of the gauges on toque, and was surprised how what I felt was like 1/8 to 1/4 throttle was actually like 50% to 60%. Didnt feel like the pedal range was lining up to the actual reading. I know DP used to do that, but didnt think PHP tunes were like that? I would need to check it on stock setting to verify.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.