8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 10-10-2019, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey all
I've been doing a lot of research on here and have found quite a few useful threads while upgrading my 7.3.

Here's where I'm at.
Based in the South West with 100+ degree summers. When I haul in the summer, I try to run the rig at night as much as possible.

2000 F-450 cab and chassis with flatbed / hidden gooseneck.
Stock auto transmission
4.88 rear end.

Purchased 2015 one previous owner with meticulous service log with a pulled carfax report to back up.
currently 425,000 miles

4" pipes all the way back
Wicked wheel II
EBPV Delete Kit
Turbomaster wastegate kit
Cold Air Mod w/ Motorcraft FA-1757 Air filter
Mishimoto 6.0 Transmission cooler upgrade
Edge Insight CTS2
PHP HYDRA CHIP - running the extreme 25hp tune

I use the rig for a heavy haul about 8 times a year approx 1000-1,500 miles R/T. with occasion 7% freeway grades.
Pulling 50' triple axle LoadMax Gooseneck.
16k-19,500k total weight.

I would like to take this setup a step further and would like to know what I could do to increase HP and also help keep my oil temps down. My EGT's will get up there while going up steep grades which is normal. I would like to be able to run lower EGT's of course.

I ran some data log recordings during my last haul, i could upload the data files if someone would be able to take a peak 🙂

I do my own mechanical work, however I plan on bringing the rig into a shop as I have a few leaks that I has me chasing ghosts.

Is there a recommended Oil cooler upgrade that I should be considering?

The rig runs great, I'm just looking for some better towing performance.

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Last edited by MRGTO68; 10-10-2019 at 01:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-10-2019, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm actually building a 2002 7.3 tow rig. I'm the third owner and the engine was pretty badly maintained and requiring a rebuild. So after doing a ton of research and contacting most of the vendors on this board and some external vendors. I came up with a build that's about 480-500 hp and lots of torque (950-1050). It's not cheap. I've got about $12k in parts. It can be done but it's a matter of dollars. The biggest obstacle in your build may be the automatic transmission. A good tow trans will not be cheap. I am using the ZF-6 to avoid all the auto drama. In order to produce the kind of power you need you'll be switching to a T4 turbo setup. I chose the sx364.5 as research seems to indicate it will keep the egt's down and provide lots of power. As for injectors, I chose hybrid 205/30's to keep the smoke down. Of course you'll need a chip for all this. If you want even more power, the nozzles can be upped. This set up will require at least Ford forged rods. Using them will require a crankshaft rebalance. If you're going to rebalance I strongly recommend a Fluid damper balancer as they are way better than stock at isolating crank harmonics.

This is just scratching the surface of the build. There is suspension upgrades and clutch choice or auto transmission builds to get into also.

It's expensive to do it right, but it is fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 F350 CC 7.3 5-SPD
post #3 of 30 Old 10-10-2019, 08:22 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTO68 View Post
Hey all
I've been doing a lot of research on here and have found quite a few useful threads while upgrading my 7.3.

Here's where I'm at.
Based in the South West with 100+ degree summers. When I haul in the summer, I try to run the rig at night as much as possible.

2000 F-450 cab and chassis with flatbed / hidden gooseneck.
Stock auto transmission
4.88 rear end.

Purchased 2015 one previous owner with meticulous service log with a pulled carfax report to back up.
currently 425,000 miles

4" pipes all the way back
Wicked wheel II
EBPV Delete Kit
Turbomaster wastegate kit
Cold Air Mod w/ Motorcraft FA-1757 Air filter
Mishimoto 6.0 Transmission cooler upgrade
Edge Insight CTS2
PHP HYDRA CHIP - running the extreme 25hp tune

I use the rig for a heavy haul about 8 times a year approx 1000-1,500 miles R/T. with occasion 7% freeway grades.
Pulling 50' triple axle LoadMax Gooseneck.
16k-19,500k total weight.

I would like to take this setup a step further and would like to know what I could do to increase HP and also help keep my oil temps down. My EGT's will get up there while going up steep grades which is normal. I would like to be able to run lower EGT's of course.

I ran some data log recordings during my last haul, i could upload the data files if someone would be able to take a peak 🙂

I do my own mechanical work, however I plan on bringing the rig into a shop as I have a few leaks that I has me chasing ghosts.

Is there a recommended Oil cooler upgrade that I should be considering?

The rig runs great, I'm just looking for some better towing performance.

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Not gonna lie without putting 10k into the engine and 5k into the transmission (pretty accurate number wise) your kind of good to go...

One way you could is with a tow tune using the php hydra. for that weight they probably wont recommend more than the heavy 25hp file with modified shift points. Another method is getting a modified valve body (you can install it in 30 minutes in the driveway) It will modify the shifting characteristics and John Woods Transmission and Bryans Truck Shop have been in the 7.3l game for A LONG TIME. IF YOU HAVE AN AUTO but I didn't see it mentioned assumed because of the transmission cooler.

Another route would be 160/30 modified injectors but you will have to use a chip to run modified tunes even for stock power mode. It will give you a nice bump but its gonna be hard to keep egts down without getting into a turbo and then money starts flying out the window.

Personally: get a php hydra and run a tow tune and see how It goes. After that its gonna be a ton of money to see reasonable hp out of a 20yr old diesel. Slight chance the HPOP could be replaced along with a new IPR. Your hpop is way over due and you would notice it but nothing dramatic. As far as oil cooler the 7.3l is very effective and not many kits outside of hodge podge ebay junk exist for improved oil cooling etc. Its just a 20 yr old diesel carrying a ton of weight. Your limited by the technology unless you got an extra 15k around. At that point a 2014 or newer 6.7l would be the next best thing.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 10-10-2019, 08:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
What they said. That's a bunch of weight (I know, I tow 16,500 with my 350). Mod's to my truck are:
Air-Raid cold air input, Garret GTP38R Ball Bearing turbo, AFE intake, CRX Intercooler pipes, RiffRaff Boots, Billet Plenums, 160/30 Full-Force Injectors, Banks Monster Turbo-Back 4 inch, PHP Hydra running a 25 hp tune (that's a bit hot under load - I have to watch EGT's) and I push it through a dual disk south bend organic clutch.

There's other mods to the truck (like air bags and camera's), but from a power point - it gets the job done. It doesn't keep up with the new ones, but it gets there reliably.

If I do anything more, I'll have to tear into the bottom half I am sure and I just don't want to do that.

01 F350 Dually 4x2 Long 7.3 - Manual - Mods: Hutch, Harpoon, Remote Fuel Filter, Dual Disk Southbend Clutch, Heim Joint, Gauges, Disabler, 08 Tail w/Camera, Pioneer Head w/Lockpick, Exhaust Brake, Rails, Air Raid, 06 Headlights, 50 cent, Air Bags, Hydra, Riff Raff Boots, AFE Blade Runner intake, CNC HPOP lines, Banks Monster Turbo Back 4 inch, Billet Aluminum Plenums, ATS Boost Fooler, AFE Wastegate, Bellowed Up Pipes, Garret Powermax Ball Bearing Turbo, 160/30's, Moroso Pan, CnC 4 Fuel X-Over, CxRacing Intercooler Pipes. Coming next: ?? Wish list: Train horn, 4x4 conversion.

06 Mustang GT - GCC spec (Infidels May be closer than they appear) (SOLD)

16 Sonata Hybrid - Gas saver
post #5 of 30 Old 10-10-2019, 06:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Sounds like you already have a good setup. For more power Id do 160/30s which are good for towing, not big enough to cause crazy EGTs. Also custom tunes will really help the transmission shift better.

If youre going for big power/big injectors, a T4 Mount and turbo will be necessary to keep EGTs down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 30 Old 10-11-2019, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A lot of good info here guys, thank you. If I was doing a heavy haul on a regular basis, i probably take the 12k and put a nice down payment on the new 2019/2020 450 cab/chasis with the 34k tow rating 😉

I'm not sure if I want to dump the big $$$ Into massive turbos and injectors right now.

I am running hydra tunes, I thought I listed that in the op

However i would like to get more info on upgrading the hpop.

I was researching the 160/30's and stumbled across this on the gearhead site which discussed 160/80's.

"160cc/80% Nozzles – The increased flow rate of the 80% nozzles are capable of producing more than 80 RWHP over our Stage 1′s. These injectors are great for a person that wants to use their truck for daily driving, towing, or just playing around on the street. You can literally detune these injectors to run stock HP Levels or power levels of right at 400 RWHP. We recommend turbo and HPOP upgrades for these injectors, but it is not required. Custom tuning is required for optimal performance.
Thoughts?

Last edited by MRGTO68; 10-11-2019 at 01:38 AM.
post #7 of 30 Old 10-11-2019, 04:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
How high does you oil temp and egts get?

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #8 of 30 Old 10-11-2019, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
The stock hpop is good for up to about 160/30's. Yours however may be a bit tired and if you're even thinking of going higher than 160 or 180/30's in the future, if you're going to replace it anyway - may as well go for the upgrade that supports the larger injectors.

The Turbo breathing better is what will really help - get air in, get it out. Stay in the power band for those climbs. My first big improvement was the hydra (which you have) - the second one was the turbo/exhaust (which you have 1/2 of, before turbo - with loaded trailer of 16,500 behind me, 6% over 6 miles - it would struggle to do 40 mph without melting down EGT) - after turbo - 50-52. The injectors do help - but not as much as the turbo. If I were you - the next mod would be larger turbo. You'll need it anyway to take advantage of the larger injectors should you go that route.

[email protected] is who you want to talk to (somehow there's a way to link him in here - I don't know how) - he knows his stuff and the service is awesome. Did right by me, has great advice for what you are looking to do.

01 F350 Dually 4x2 Long 7.3 - Manual - Mods: Hutch, Harpoon, Remote Fuel Filter, Dual Disk Southbend Clutch, Heim Joint, Gauges, Disabler, 08 Tail w/Camera, Pioneer Head w/Lockpick, Exhaust Brake, Rails, Air Raid, 06 Headlights, 50 cent, Air Bags, Hydra, Riff Raff Boots, AFE Blade Runner intake, CNC HPOP lines, Banks Monster Turbo Back 4 inch, Billet Aluminum Plenums, ATS Boost Fooler, AFE Wastegate, Bellowed Up Pipes, Garret Powermax Ball Bearing Turbo, 160/30's, Moroso Pan, CnC 4 Fuel X-Over, CxRacing Intercooler Pipes. Coming next: ?? Wish list: Train horn, 4x4 conversion.

06 Mustang GT - GCC spec (Infidels May be closer than they appear) (SOLD)

16 Sonata Hybrid - Gas saver
post #9 of 30 Old 10-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTO68 View Post
A lot of good info here guys, thank you. If I was doing a heavy haul on a regular basis, i probably take the 12k and put a nice down payment on the new 2019/2020 450 cab/chasis with the 34k tow rating 😉

I'm not sure if I want to dump the big $$$ Into massive turbos and injectors right now.

I am running hydra tunes, I thought I listed that in the op

However i would like to get more info on upgrading the hpop.

I was researching the 160/30's and stumbled across this on the gearhead site which discussed 160/80's.

"160cc/80% Nozzles – The increased flow rate of the 80% nozzles are capable of producing more than 80 RWHP over our Stage 1′s. These injectors are great for a person that wants to use their truck for daily driving, towing, or just playing around on the street. You can literally detune these injectors to run stock HP Levels or power levels of right at 400 RWHP. We recommend turbo and HPOP upgrades for these injectors, but it is not required. Custom tuning is required for optimal performance.
Thoughts?

@[email protected]

I mentioned cncfab in this post. I would Call Corey. He will help you choose the right set up for your needs with everything in mind etc.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #10 of 30 Old 10-11-2019, 08:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Like I said above. Every vendor I spoke with recommended a T4 with the new sx364.5 with a 1.0 housing. It's not the fastest spin up but egt's are no longer an issue with a hybrid injector in the 205-230/30 range. I'll let you know in a month or so as mine is being machined starting Monday. Of course the supporting mods must be in place like, exhaust, bottom end, cylinder head/valve train, hpop, fuel mods, drivetrain, and chip.
MRGTO68 likes this.

1996 F350 CC 7.3 5-SPD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode