Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2008 Mirror Upgrade Heat Function Wiring

892 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Arizona_SVO 
#1 ·
Hello, I recently upgraded to power 2008 mirrors with heat and lights. The truck had none of this from the factory so I had to wire everything myself. I have not wired the heat function yet. I do not want to hard wire the heat to be on at all times, and I do not want to install another switch.

I was wondering if it would be possible to tie them into the climate control wiring so the mirror heat would be powered when my defroster is turned on on the dash. Is this possible? Has anyone had any experience doing this?

#2 ·
No I have not done this -- was thinking of a way tho

You could attach a micro switch to the defrost door actuator and use that to switch a relay connected to the mirror heat

Reactions: doubleslottedflaps
#4 ·
Micro switches are exactly what the name implies - they are rather small switches used in all kinds of things where space is a premium. You can find them on Amazon or any retail electronics store. They usually have 3 leads - a common, a NO, and a NC - when the switch is activated, the NO closes and the NC opens. You probably do *not* want to wire the heat lead directly to that - rather have it power a relay that sends power to the mirrors. You'll probably overload the switch and burn it fast.

They are notorious for breaking the actuator arm off of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.