• 1 Post By SparkyF250

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-10-2019, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel comparison

I usually fill up at a shell (I see best stats with their fuel) but I've been reading up on "76". Its a truck stop with renewable diesel. How would a. 7.3 run with that fuel? They claim to have >70 cetane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-10-2019, 07:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Fuel comparison

7.3s will run on anything, I wouldn’t think twice about it. They’ll never miss a beat on trans fluid, waste motor oil, heating oil, kerosene, cooking oil (without glycerin) ULSD, high sulfur diesel, bio fuels, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
96coal449 likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-16-2019, 08:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
And do not mix motor oil with veg oil.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-16-2019, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Quoted: 3263 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I wouldn't add any of the mentioned crap in my 7.3, while it may run with that chit in the fuel it's not a good idea. A good quality diesel fuel and a demulsifier type additive to help separate the water is all that ever goes in my tank. A pre-powerstroke IDI will digest anything with it's mechanical injectors, HEUI injectors cost more and they're harder to change. 76 will be fine, most important thing is a station that turns over enough fuel to keep it fresh and clean.

Sparky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-16-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
I go back and forth across the country. I have probably run every brand of fuel. some of has been bio because thats all that was available. Never noticed any difference. However do not use bio diesel if your truck will be sitting for months. I have been told by a few truck owners it grows algae
post #6 of 10 Old 09-16-2019, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyF250 View Post
I wouldn't add any of the mentioned crap in my 7.3, while it may run with that chit in the fuel it's not a good idea. A good quality diesel fuel and a demulsifier type additive to help separate the water is all that ever goes in my tank. A pre-powerstroke IDI will digest anything with it's mechanical injectors, HEUI injectors cost more and they're harder to change. 76 will be fine, most important thing is a station that turns over enough fuel to keep it fresh and clean.

It’s all in how you filter it. My dad runs waste oil on his e350 and has been off and on for the past 120k miles. He filters it all down to 1 micron. He’s still on original injectors at 290,000 miles, it started right up at 0 F this past winter, they’re still very healthy

post #7 of 10 Old 09-16-2019, 06:25 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Quoted: 3263 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3_TurboDiesel View Post
It’s all in how you filter it. My dad runs waste oil on his e350 and has been off and on for the past 120k miles. He filters it all down to 1 micron. He’s still on original injectors at 290,000 miles, it started right up at 0 F this past winter, they’re still very healthy

That's the thing, most guys don't have a way to filter it that fine. I used to run red farm fuel all the time in an old 6.9 IDI when it was still high sulfur and pump fuel was ulsd, night and day! Even the 7.3 psd would rather have high sulfur since that's what it was made to run on
7.3_TurboDiesel likes this.

Sparky

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

post #8 of 10 Old 09-16-2019, 10:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleslottedflaps View Post
I go back and forth across the country. I have probably run every brand of fuel. some of has been bio because thats all that was available. Never noticed any difference. However do not use bio diesel if your truck will be sitting for months. I have been told by a few truck owners it grows algae
Actually all diesel fuel grows algae just drop your tank and have a look that's why you do hutch mod to get rid of those stupid screens that plug up with algae
post #9 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thomson View Post
Actually all diesel fuel grows algae just drop your tank and have a look that's why you do hutch mod to get rid of those stupid screens that plug up with algae
yeah but bio fuel is more prone to grow it. And I dont buy from places that I never see diesel trucks at.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 06:04 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Buy Biobor = bye algae. It’s really that simple

Once it leaves the refinery from its delivery method, then into a tank at the distributor, then to a truck to a station, and from those tanks to your truck you have no idea the filtration, tank conditions, or inspection methods and intervals before you swiped your card. Everything is probably ok, but it could be inferior. We test our fuel each delivery and each fueling. Aircraft are sumped daily and tested before each flight day, and with fuel consumption at 1.5 gpm per aircraft we turn A LOT of fuel. Even with all that we still use Biobor in the tanks we own. If all parameters are perfect, you can’t prevent temperature changes that lead to condensation, which leads to algae and microbial growth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode