Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   99-03 7.3L General Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-general-discussion/)
-   -   Tie rod quality? (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-general-discussion/1368521-tie-rod-quality.html)

Peanut Gallery 09-07-2019 05:25 PM

Tie rod quality?

Need to replace tie rod on my E99. I was looking at Moog but remember reading the quality of Moog parts was fine down hill in the last few years. This still the case? Hoping to save a bit over the Motorcraft, any other quality brand I should look into?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

SparkyF250 09-07-2019 05:35 PM

I've read the same thing about Moog but I went ahead and used them to replace the steering parts on my 05 a couple years ago, they're just as tight and right now as they were when I installed them. Will they last the same number of years as you get out of OEM parts? I dunno but they're lifetime warranted.

00t444e 09-07-2019 07:54 PM

I have had good luck with the TRQ brand parts from 1A auto, they have a lifetime warranty and the quality is equal to Moog but they cost less. Moog is overpriced, they used to have better parts but since they switched much of there manufacturing overseas, the quality of most of their parts is about the same as any of the other cheaper brands.

7.3_TurboDiesel 09-09-2019 01:28 PM

I havenít had good experience with MOOG stuff. I bought sway bar bushings and a track bar from them and none of them fit. The track bar was too long and the bushings were loose on the sway bar. Junk if you ask me. Even the cheapo advance auto stuff fit better than their stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bart_3500 09-09-2019 04:05 PM

I was told by my transmission mechanic that a lot of Ford parts are made in China now. He has to custom make a planetary drum because the Ford drum is made in China and will not hold up to our transmission requirements.

doubleslottedflaps 09-09-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7.3_TurboDiesel (Post 16328251)
I havenít had good experience with MOOG stuff. I bought sway bar bushings and a track bar from them and none of them fit. The track bar was too long and the bushings were loose on the sway bar. Junk if you ask me. Even the cheapo advance auto stuff fit better than their stuff

thats not junk. you bought the wrong parts dont blame moog

doubleslottedflaps 09-09-2019 05:54 PM

all of us roadracers use moog because its still the best

7.3_TurboDiesel 09-09-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doubleslottedflaps (Post 16328359)
thats not junk. you bought the wrong parts dont blame moog

They were correct, I doubled checked part numbers. The track bar was only about 1/8Ē longer than my stock one, but it was enough to make it not fit

SparkyF250 09-09-2019 06:45 PM

Like I said, I did the front end of my 05 with Moog and everything fit perfect and works the same. I use Moog u-joints too

Nickjames525 09-11-2019 05:33 PM

As a technician who works on a high volume of stuff, I can tell you that I see more failed moog parts than any other parts.. ESPECIALLY u joints. Use oem front end parts and spicer u joints ONLY.

I’m just the tech. I make no money on parts. However, I will NOT install any aftermarket OE front end parts.