• 1 Post By GETFURIOUS
  • 1 Post By 2002F3504X4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-19-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How long is too long?

We own a 2002 F-350 crewcab dually 4x4 with the 7.3 PS, 6 speed manual. Bought the truck new. It now has 69K miles on it. The truck goes to the dealer for repairs which have been few and far between. I do all of the fluid changes and minor stuff. I use the Motorcraft diesel oil and Motorcraft filters. I run Optilube XPD in the fuel and one quart of Optilube oil fortifier in with the oil. Air filter and fuel filter are changed every 15 K miles, and usually look clean. We have an 11 foot slide in camper that stays on the truck most of the time, and we tow a 22 foot sport boat. The truck rarely sees in town driving. It mostly spends it's time on the interstates. I start the engine weekly and run it for 30-45 minutes. In the winter the truck never leaves the mountain we live on. It stays parked inside a garage when not in use. I have been changing the oil and filter every 6 months or 3K which ever comes first. Sometimes it will have 2500 miles on the oil, and other times just a few hundred. My question is will it hurt anything to go longer on the time if the truck hasn't been driven much? Is 9 months or a year too long if the mileage hasn't gone over 3K? The dealer says I change it too often and am wasting money. I don't plan to ever buy another truck. The truck goes to my son when I am gone. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180707_144533_1566261608295.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	5.09 MB
ID:	722027  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-19-2019, 07:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
You should be fine going 9 months to a year on good quality oil. Especially if you use it on the interstate. Diesels are prone to getting condensation in the oil when they’re only used for short trips because they take longer to warm up than gas engines, but since that’s not how you use the truck, you should be fine

Also, in this day and age a 7.3 with that mileage in that condition is very valuable... hold onto it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 08-19-2019, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Sounds like you have been taking great care of the truck, I don't mind wasting money on changing the oil at 4K, clean oil means happy 7.3L.

Also Love the black cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-21-2019, 03:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Beautiful truck!!!
post #5 of 10 Old 08-21-2019, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Wood's Powerstroke
Naaa. Keep on doing what you're doing and it will be fine.
john galt likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-21-2019, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Do what makes you comfortable. It's your money, but everyone's resources. Based on your usage, I feel your 6-month changes are excessive.

OEM's have recommended oil change intervals in miles OR elapsed time for eons. Many modern vehicles have oil-life monitoring based on operating conditions. The oil life monitors I'm familiar with (GM), turn on the service light at 12 months, regardless of mileage. My change interval in miles is much longer than yours, but works out to about 12 months of use. The majority of my annual mileage is run during the Summer. So I change the oil in the Fall before it sits for the off-season, and it's good for another year. In the big Diesels in the yachts I maintain, I recommend and use 2 years as a change interval recommendation if the engine isn't being used much, but these engines hold 8 Gallons so changes are expensive. I have several gasser Garage Queen cars here that aren't driven more than a few miles a year. They get changed every 5 years.

As I said, do what you're comfortable with. I feel 12 months is conservative for an engine that isn't started very frequently, and when it is, it is brought up to operating temperature, not just moved around the yard.
JustinOOO9 likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-22-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. The last oil change was February 1. The truck has been on one multi-state trip and a 1/2 dozen 16 mile round trips to the boat ramp. It has covered 900 miles. We have a camping trip planned for this weekend, and a trip to Florida planned for next weekend. After another trip planned for Thanksgiving the mileage will be around 2500. I'll change the oil then and will have been in the engine for 9 months. I believe that should be sufficient to avoid problems and not waste money.
7.3_TurboDiesel likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-22-2019, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002F3504X4 View Post
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. The last oil change was February 1. The truck has been on one multi-state trip and a 1/2 dozen 16 mile round trips to the boat ramp. It has covered 900 miles. We have a camping trip planned for this weekend, and a trip to Florida planned for next weekend. After another trip planned for Thanksgiving the mileage will be around 2500. I'll change the oil then and will have been in the engine for 9 months. I believe that should be sufficient to avoid problems and not waste money.
YOU COULD SEND AN OIL SAMPLE TO THE LAB AND GET MORE ACCURATE INFORMATION AS TO WHAT YOUR OIL'S CONDITION IS.....

AND.....GREAT LOOKING CAT.....
john galt likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-22-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll send the cat to you if you want? We live in a very rural area just outside of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We have no animal control in our county. People dump animals all the time. We currently have nine cats. I get all of them spayed or neutered, shots, and medications. They have a heated and cooled building they sleep in. That particular cat is Buddy. He adopted us 9 years ago. He is a barn cat of sorts who will let you touch him if it's his idea.
GETFURIOUS likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-22-2019, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
I will ask her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode