LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-17-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
O2 7.3 Exhaust/Cold air intake Upgrade

Hey guys-

Just doing a bit of research and looking for a bit of input- I am wanting to do a few inexpensive upgrades to my diesel that will give me a bit more power and increase fuel efficiency(hopefully) - from what I have read most 7.3 owners suggest starting with a cold air intake system...and the system that is talked about a lot for my 02 F350 7.3 with 109,000 miles is the S&B Filters 75-5062 Cold Air Intake for 1998-2003 Ford Powerstroke 7.3L - and the 4 inch 4MBRP S6200P Turbo Back Single Side Exhaust System upgrade listed on Amazon

Both of these can be purchased on Amazon at fairly reasonable prices and from what I understand can really help to lower EGT's as well as increase power and fuel efficiency. Has anyone used these products on their diesel?? What has been your experience??

Also, I had a loss of boost under a load and discovered that I had a crack on my intercooler boot on the hot side- I live in southern Az where the heat can be unbearable- had it replaced with a new OEM part from ford but was wondering if there is a better quality boot kit that I can get so I can replace my other boots before they fail as they are original....I saw boot kits from Sinister and Riff Raff but wasn't sure if I should take a chance....any input??

Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-17-2019, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I noticed gains when I upgraded my own exhaust, although I can't say much about the cold air intake. There is another intake that NAPA sells which many people run. I think it's the 6637. Better filtration over stock, but lacks the box that most cold air intakes feature (to isolate engine bay temps).
I'd stick with the OE boots personally.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-17-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpepper70 View Post
I noticed gains when I upgraded my own exhaust, although I can't say much about the cold air intake. There is another intake that NAPA sells which many people run. I think it's the 6637. Better filtration over stock, but lacks the box that most cold air intakes feature (to isolate engine bay temps).
I'd stick with the OE boots personally.
Thanks so much for your input!
The Following User Says Thank You to CamoGirl For This Useful Post:
frozenpepper70 (08-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-17-2019, 10:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGirl View Post
Hey guys-

Just doing a bit of research and looking for a bit of input- I am wanting to do a few inexpensive upgrades to my diesel that will give me a bit more power and increase fuel efficiency(hopefully) - from what I have read most 7.3 owners suggest starting with a cold air intake system...and the system that is talked about a lot for my 02 F350 7.3 with 109,000 miles is the S&B Filters 75-5062 Cold Air Intake for 1998-2003 Ford Powerstroke 7.3L - and the 4 inch 4MBRP S6200P Turbo Back Single Side Exhaust System upgrade listed on Amazon

Both of these can be purchased on Amazon at fairly reasonable prices and from what I understand can really help to lower EGT's as well as increase power and fuel efficiency. Has anyone used these products on their diesel?? What has been your experience??

Also, I had a loss of boost under a load and discovered that I had a crack on my intercooler boot on the hot side- I live in southern Az where the heat can be unbearable- had it replaced with a new OEM part from ford but was wondering if there is a better quality boot kit that I can get so I can replace my other boots before they fail as they are original....I saw boot kits from Sinister and Riff Raff but wasn't sure if I should take a chance....any input??

Thanks so much
Although the s&B looks pretty under the hood, the Riffraff Donaldson blue 6637 is an inexpensive and effective CAI. Get it with the prefilter sock from Riffraff also. Under-the-temps don't effect the intake temp much at all and won't increase EGT's. I live in phoenix and run it and a 5" straight pipe. I love my setup. Also, if you don't have one already, get the PHP hydra. It will also help fuel mileage. I have lifted truck with 37'' MT's and run my hydra on 140 extreme tune daily driving and see 15 MPG's consistently.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-17-2019, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A free flowing exhaust is a good thing to do to any Turbo engine, the cold air thing, not as important.

Read about here -> https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...ood-temps.html

That being said,,, years ago I did the Ford AIS filter with both a "fender sleeve" and the "ZooDad Mod" to the radiator support to funnel cold air to it. The 7.3 is a pretty de-tuned system in stock form. The biggest bang for the buck you'll see is with some simple tuning.

Don't waste time or money on trying to make it more efficient. It's old tech and you're never going to make serious improvements on fuel mileage. You won't recoup the expenses in savings.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-17-2019, 11:49 AM
Fire From the Clouds!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
I have both an S&B intake and 4" MBRP. They do exactly as described, suck in air and blow it out.

With the S&B there is two filter options, oiled and dry. With the oiled filter you can reuse it multiple times by cleaning it and re-oiling it (red filter). If that doesn't interest you, like myself, they make a dry filter (white filter) that is one time use and keep switching it out like a typical filter. If you go with the dry filter I highly recommend getting their filter sock with it as it keeps a lot of dirt out of the filter. There is other options out there that will do the same thing for less, aFe, 6637, etc but I like the cosmetic function of it too, if that matters to you.

The S6200p is their aluminium with muffler. You live in Arizona so salt isn't an issue and it will most likely last a long time if you keep it in Arizona, it will start to rust out immediately if gone through a winter with salt. They also make a T409 steel option which is what the factory exhaust is made of but will brown like the factory exhaust if in contact with salt. The T304 is what I have and its for environments that see nonstop salt but will always stay shiny.

Regardless of what options you choose there will be a noticeable sound difference, you'll hear more air being sucked in when building boost and the truck will sound a lot louder from outside the cab or with the windows open. Most MBRP kits come with a muffler, if you do want more sound MBRP makes a matching muffler delete pipe.

On a stock truck you won't really notice too much of a difference with these mods. It's all about tuning but you need these mods as the absolute basics to do tuning.

For intercooler boots I went with these https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-3L-Late-1...ty!10308!US!-1 because they match my engine parts and colors. But BD Diesel, Mishimoto, RiffRaff, are all good options, just depends what color and whose sticker you want.

2002 Ford F350-Lariat-CrewCab-LongBed-7.3L PowerStroke Intercooled Turbo Diesel!
2.5 PMF lift on 325/60r20 Nitto M/T's
Enough Stuff To Pull Yours!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-17-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
A free flowing exhaust is a good thing to do to any Turbo engine, the cold air thing, not as important.

That being said,,, years ago I did the Ford AIS filter with both a "fender sleeve" and the "ZooDad Mod" to the radiator support to funnel cold air to it. The 7.3 is a pretty de-tuned system in stock form. The biggest bang for the buck you'll see is with some simple tuning.

Don't waste time or money on trying to make it more efficient. It's old tech and you're never going to make serious improvements on fuel mileage. You won't recoup the expenses in savings.
Thanks for the input....the link was very helpful...guess the CAI with the box is not really necessary....unless you have bunches of money- which I don't!!! Thanks again....just trying to make my dinosaur a little more efficient!!
post #8 of 17 Old 08-17-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

[QUOTE=Horizon122;16319049]I have both an S&B intake and 4" MBRP. They do exactly as described, suck in air and blow it out.

With the S&B there is two filter options, oiled and dry. With the oiled filter you can reuse it multiple times by cleaning it and re-oiling it (red filter). If that doesn't interest you, like myself, they make a dry filter (white filter) that is one time use and keep switching it out like a typical filter. If you go with the dry filter I highly recommend getting their filter sock with it as it keeps a lot of dirt out of the filter. There is other options out there that will do the same thing for less, aFe, 6637, etc but I like the cosmetic function of it too, if that matters to you.

The S6200p is their aluminium with muffler. You live in Arizona so salt isn't an issue and it will most likely last a long time if you keep it in Arizona, it will start to rust out immediately if gone through a winter with salt. They also make a T409 steel option which is what the factory exhaust is made of but will brown like the factory exhaust if in contact with salt. The T304 is what I have and its for environments that see nonstop salt but will always stay shiny.

Regardless of what options you choose there will be a noticeable sound difference, you'll hear more air being sucked in when building boost and the truck will sound a lot louder from outside the cab or with the windows open. Most MBRP kits come with a muffler, if you do want more sound MBRP makes a matching muffler delete pipe.

On a stock truck you won't really notice too much of a difference with these mods. It's all about tuning but you need these mods as the absolute basics to do tuning.

WOW....fabulous informative reply....thanks so much!!
post #9 of 17 Old 08-17-2019, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 1145 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I've got both of what you are looking for in stock also.

www.cncfab.us

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

post #10 of 17 Old 08-17-2019, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
do the exhaust first. I have the MBRP 4" turbo back and no cat and no muffler. I have the AFE intake with the oiled filter. Have about 50,000 miles on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in