Fuel supply line from fuel tank to chassis. Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-06-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel supply line from fuel tank to chassis. Help

I have developed a fuel leak along the chassis. Dropped the midship 37 gal fuel tank and the hose that is leaking is the grey semi hard nylon fuel line with some kind of quick connect fitting at the sender. Ford says NLA as do the Reilly’s, Napa. Can I Substitute a standard rubber fuel line in this location or is the pump in the tank High Pressure? This is kind of a 911 situation as I have a 6000 mi trip I’m beginning in 4 days and I’ve got to get this back up and running now!! HeLP!!!

Ford couldn’t even come up with a part number that I thought represented the part. # 1C3Z-9S278-AA

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-06-2019, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Garage
The fuel pump is mounted on the frame(just under the driver feet area), not in the tank -- so yes a diesel fuel rated rubber hose would be fine -- don't use the cheap hose -- would be a good idea at some point to drop the tanks and clean the in-tank screens

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-06-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hydro

Thank you. So regular rubber fuel line is okay for the supply side as well. Why in the hell did Ford use that damn plastic hose instead of a conventional rubber hose? I’ve been pulling my hair out in clumps all day because of it. Go Figure!

I thought that I read somewhere that the pump was in the tank top and was rated at 150 psi. Maybe that was for the gas engines. IDK.

Ill check the screens tomorrow. Oh and the O ring for the sender is NLA as well.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Garage
"Regular rubber fuel hose" used to be decent stuff, but not any more -- I usually use the premium emissions rated hose nowadays, it has an extra layer of reinforcing and seems to hold up against cracking longer -- the nylon hose you have is pretty common, the problem is fittings on the ends -- you can use a hose and clamps for a connector, but you need the metal insert to keep it from collapsing over time -- can also use the brass compression fittings on the nylon hose(need to use the insert)

The machines I work on daily use the nylon line that is over a plastic connector, they can be repaired by heating and stretching the line -- it has a memory and will shrink onto the fitting

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-14-2019, 04:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
THIS MAY BE TOO LATE FOR YOUR TRIP.....

BUT THIS LINK MAY HELP.....

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...l#post16254083

I GOT THE HOSE FROM A LOCAL AUTO SUPPLY HOUSE.....I MADE SURE THAT I GOT THE MULTI-LAYERED FUEL INJECTION RATED HOSE.....IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY.....I WAS GATES BRAND HOSE.....(WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY).....AND IT WORKED WITHOUT ANY ISSUES.....
post #6 of 15 Old 08-15-2019, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Wood's Powerstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETFURIOUS View Post
THIS MAY BE TOO LATE FOR YOUR TRIP.....

BUT THIS LINK MAY HELP.....

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...l#post16254083

I GOT THE HOSE FROM A LOCAL AUTO SUPPLY HOUSE.....I MADE SURE THAT I GOT THE MULTI-LAYERED FUEL INJECTION RATED HOSE.....IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY.....I WAS GATES BRAND HOSE.....(WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY).....AND IT WORKED WITHOUT ANY ISSUES.....
@GETFURIOUS
That's good medicine right there
GETFURIOUS likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-14-2019, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Frustration

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill chasser View Post
I have developed a fuel leak along the chassis. Dropped the midship 37 gal fuel tank and the hose that is leaking is the grey semi hard nylon fuel line with some kind of quick connect fitting at the sender. Ford says NLA as do the Reillyís, Napa. Can I Substitute a standard rubber fuel line in this location or is the pump in the tank High Pressure? This is kind of a 911 situation as I have a 6000 mi trip Iím beginning in 4 days and Iíve got to get this back up and running now!! HeLP!!!

Ford couldnít even come up with a part number that I thought represented the part. # 1C3Z-9S278-AA

Bill
I have been having a problem that I THINK I have tracked back to those nylon tubes. I have a 48 gallon steel replacement tank that make the fit even tighter. My truck would start up fine and run great for about 5 miles and then would feel like it was starving for fuel until it would not accelerate at all. I had done the hutch mod years ago so no in tank filters to plug but dropped the tank and there was obvious sediment and crap on the bottom. Took it to a good radiator shop and had it flushed, reinstalled, not better?!?

Drove it to a local DSL shop who said the #8 injector was failing... They have about 170K on them so decided to replace with FFD Stage 1.5, Edge for basic data and code reading, FRX, HPx. Starts up great, runs fine for about 5 miles... Changed the fuel filter and upon shining a bright lite inside, found a ton of MUDDY SLUDGE Bought the fuel bowl seal kit and reinstalled, no change. Bought fuel pressure tester and am getting 60psi, UNTIL IT IS UNDER LOAD where it drops to 0 !!! Pulled line to pump and installed tubing into a jug of fuel and it runs great with no pressure drop at all. The issue has to be from the tank to the pump! Dropped tank AGAIN, blew out lines really well this time, took apart and checked all connections and reinstalled. No change!!?! Replaced nylon tubing with new fuel line using OE "quick connects" and reinstalled. NO Change! The tubing is making a hell of an s curve and it may be getting crushed, VERY TIGHT FIT that cannot be seen or felt. Did the exterior jug intake again to confirm and it still does run great when not pulling from the main tank. The angle of the sender fitting is about 7 o'clock and the feed and return lines about 3 o'clock. A 90 degree elbow on 1 end might help but I hate the idea of restricting the line.

Suggestions?
post #8 of 15 Old 09-14-2019, 05:34 PM

ARE YOU USING THE ORIGINAL FUEL PUMP.....OR HAS IT BEEN REPLACED?....

IF IT IS THE ORIGINAL PUMP....IT MAY BE "WEAK" UNDER LOAD.....AND STARVING YOUR TRUCK.....

DO YOU HAVE A PRE-PUMP FILTER SYSTEM INSTALLED?....

GOT ANY PHOTOS?....
post #9 of 15 Old 09-14-2019, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
The pump was replaced many years ago and I was about to order one, but cannot keep throwing parts at the truck! Running low on funds I had scrimped on the UVCG harnesses so had to go back in. I replaced the IPR after throwing a 1211 and was worried about the HPOP but realized I need to slow down and ISOLATE THE PROBLEM!

If I am getting 60psi after max acceleration when not drawing off the 47 gallon tank, in my mind the problem is from the tank to the pump.

I am not currently running a pre-pump filter. I'll look for some pix. I haven't been taking many pictures due to the fact I am not sure what I am doing and very much figuring it out as I go.

Last edited by BioSteve; 09-14-2019 at 06:24 PM. Reason: finish thought
post #10 of 15 Old 09-15-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSteve View Post
I have been having a problem that I THINK I have tracked back to those nylon tubes. I have a 48 gallon steel replacement tank that make the fit even tighter. My truck would start up fine and run great for about 5 miles and then would feel like it was starving for fuel until it would not accelerate at all. I had done the hutch mod years ago so no in tank filters to plug but dropped the tank and there was obvious sediment and crap on the bottom. Took it to a good radiator shop and had it flushed, reinstalled, not better?!?

Drove it to a local DSL shop who said the #8 injector was failing... They have about 170K on them so decided to replace with FFD Stage 1.5, Edge for basic data and code reading, FRX, HPx. Starts up great, runs fine for about 5 miles... Changed the fuel filter and upon shining a bright lite inside, found a ton of MUDDY SLUDGE Bought the fuel bowl seal kit and reinstalled, no change. Bought fuel pressure tester and am getting 60psi, UNTIL IT IS UNDER LOAD where it drops to 0 !!! Pulled line to pump and installed tubing into a jug of fuel and it runs great with no pressure drop at all. The issue has to be from the tank to the pump! Dropped tank AGAIN, blew out lines really well this time, took apart and checked all connections and reinstalled. No change!!?! Replaced nylon tubing with new fuel line using OE "quick connects" and reinstalled. NO Change! The tubing is making a hell of an s curve and it may be getting crushed, VERY TIGHT FIT that cannot be seen or felt. Did the exterior jug intake again to confirm and it still does run great when not pulling from the main tank. The angle of the sender fitting is about 7 o'clock and the feed and return lines about 3 o'clock. A 90 degree elbow on 1 end might help but I hate the idea of restricting the line.

Suggestions?
I MISSED THAT PART WHEN I READ IT THE FIRST TIME.....

IN ORDER TO SOLVE THIS ISSUE.....YOU MAY HAVE TO TAKE THE BED OFF.....SO THAT YOU CAN SEE THE ENTIRE FUEL LINE PATH WHILE IT IS INSTALLED.....

IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET A CAMERA OR A CELL PHONE UP THERE TO TAKE A PHOTO AND SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE?....

ONE LAST IDEA.....IF THE LINE IS GETTING CRUSHED / PINCHED WHEN THE TANK IS BOLTED IN PLACE.....YOU MAY HAVE TO PUT A SHIELD OVER THE HOSE OR DIMPLE THE TOP OF THE TANK TO PROTECT OR MAKE SPACE FOR THE FUEL LINE.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode