LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 Old 07-31-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
MSM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEED TO VENT!

Dropped my 2000 F350 off last Monday,(9 days ago), to have a 6"Pro Comp lift put in. I bought the lift kit and had it shipped to the shop. I called Monday afternoon to see if it was done. He said they had to order some bolts and shackles from Ford and the rear brake line would not be in until Aug 7th. He said he had to cut the rear shackles off, as they were rusted. He also said the stock driveshaft looked way to short, but has since spoken with Pro Comp and they have assured him that it will still work. So, my truck has been sitting on the lift since last Monday(9 days ago). Should I be very agitated? Because I am. Please tell me why I should remain calm....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 07-31-2019, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Garage
1) Agitated? Yep...I would be. In reading your post, for me, they didn't communicate with you. As soon as they knew this stuff, they should have called you to keep you in the loop.

2) OTOH - Should you take some deep breaths? Ummm....yep. The flip side is they have your truck. Obviously, it isn't drivable now AND you want it fixed RIGHT. So...remaining calm when you talk with them, even if only for now, makes sense.

Just my thoughts -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 CCLB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5th Wheel |

Proud Veteran | US Navy - '76-'80 - Petty Officer 2nd Class (E5)
post #3 of 67 Old 07-31-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
MSM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
1) Agitated? Yep...I would be. In reading your post, for me, they didn't communicate with you. As soon as they knew this stuff, they should have called you to keep you in the loop.

2) OTOH - Should you take some deep breaths? Ummm....yep. The flip side is they have your truck. Obviously, it isn't drivable now AND you want it fixed RIGHT. So...remaining calm when you talk with them, even if only for now, makes sense.

Just my thoughts -
Thanks, yes, I agree I want him to do a good job and don't want him to feel I was angry and would never go back there again, although I told him that I was disappointed it was taking so long.

I wish he could have ordered everything he needed before he started the work. I mean the brake line that we need is available online from a few places , but his parts distributor says not until August 7th. I told him that it was available online and he did nothing last week. Two days ago I called him again and asked if I should order the brake line to get it quicker. He said to go ahead. So, I ordered it and it is supposed to be here on Aug 5th, so that should get the truck back to me two days quicker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 Old 07-31-2019, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Also, think of this... In the end when it's all fixed and said n done...you could even ask for a discount for all the mishaps and time lost...its likely they'll give it to you.
MSM likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to F(Frankenstein)-250 For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 67 Old 07-31-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
MSM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by F(Frankenstein)-250 View Post
Also, think of this... In the end when it's all fixed and said n done...you could even ask for a discount for all the mishaps and time lost...its likely they'll give it to you.
He is charging me 700 to put the lift in, but with all the bolts he ordered, and having to cut the shackles off and order new ones, I am thinking it is going to be more than 700. 3 weeks to put it in might be a negotiating point.
post #6 of 67 Old 07-31-2019, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 1162 Post(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
$700 seems pretty cheap to me for a full front and rear lift kit. I bet he has well more than 10hrs @70hr into it, especially with the other rusted parts he had to order/replace.

One thing most shops dont like, usually me too, is when customers bring us parts for us to install them. I refuse most of that work when they bring cheap AutoZone parts because they will usually fail way sooner than OEM, I will not warranty labor or the parts someone brings unless we are an authorized dealer for the parts.

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
Left Coast Geek (07-31-2019)
post #7 of 67 Old 07-31-2019, 11:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
It could be that he thought he had everything and was good to go. the rear shackles are hit/mis if they come out ok or not. Not sure where you are but it doesn't seem like a very big town if they have to order and wait for parts. I would imagine most ford shops would carry the shackles and bolts, but maybe not.

$700 does sound cheap. Also i know many places that won't even allow you to supply parts at all...just like Corey has stated.

it's a bummer that things didn't go smoothly and you haven't had your truck for a while, but that is how it goes sometimes. Just keep positive and look forward to your truck being lifted; should put a smile on your face when you are able to get it back
[email protected] and MSM like this.
post #8 of 67 Old 08-02-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
MSM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
$700 seems pretty cheap to me for a full front and rear lift kit. I bet he has well more than 10hrs @70hr into it, especially with the other rusted parts he had to order/replace.

One thing most shops dont like, usually me too, is when customers bring us parts for us to install them. I refuse most of that work when they bring cheap AutoZone parts because they will usually fail way sooner than OEM, I will not warranty labor or the parts someone brings unless we are an authorized dealer for the parts.
I get a lot of work done there. The 700 includes an alignment also.

He told me to order the kit I wanted. I did some research and then sent him the info. on the kit. He looked it over and then told me to order it. Brake line is supposed to be in tomorrow, so hopefully he can get it done Monday. I will post the results. Thanks fo the help.
post #9 of 67 Old 08-05-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
MSM

Garage
Now he tells me that the front brake line that he ordered doesn’t fit. My god what is happening to me!
post #10 of 67 Old 08-05-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
MSM

Garage
I had the truck for 20 years and never touched it now this disaster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode