help, car stereo adcvice 2001 f350 need new stereo with xm/sirius, - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 Old 07-29-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help, car stereo adcvice 2001 f350 need new stereo with xm/sirius,

the current stereo is not so good and obviously ford made them this weird huge size, like 8" wide and 5" tall. anyone know of an easy direct replacement, just replacing it so i can get a xm radio compatable radio. anyone done this recently, is it a big job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 07-29-2019, 12:01 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwind View Post
the current stereo is not so good and obviously ford made them this weird huge size, like 8" wide and 5" tall. anyone know of an easy direct replacement, just replacing it so i can get a xm radio compatable radio. anyone done this recently, is it a big job?
go to https://www.crutchfield.com/S-4aXAsPVqsCl/ and select your make/model/year/options and you can choose a new deck. 99% it comes with the din adapter, wire harness, and ford stereo deck removal tool. I hadn't done a stereo and speakers in 15 years and I used them last year. took me maybe an hour to put in new stereo deck and two speakers. I just never did rear doors with replacements etc.

There customer service and prices are incredible. I even did the wifes 09 Subaru forester last year and again perfect fit. the speakers and deck came with no cut wire harness connectors too.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #3 of 59 Old 07-29-2019, 12:18 PM

Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,749 Posts
Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
IIRC a DBL DIn will fit

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 Old 07-29-2019, 12:19 PM

google double din in superduty = lots of hits

I suggest Pioneer I have had great luck and get tired of the decks tech after about 5 years. when i upgrade i am pulling out a working stereo

6.0 flush pdf
post #5 of 59 Old 07-29-2019, 06:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
I got a Sony universal single DIN car stereo with the Siruis receiver plug in. I got the Sirius XM receiver from Best Buy. I got an adapter kit for my truck off ebay. I put it in. I have am fm cd and sirius, I'm sirius !
post #6 of 59 Old 07-29-2019, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Left Coast Geek Send a message via MSN to Left Coast Geek Send a message via Yahoo to Left Coast Geek
Metris and Scosche both make an adapter for a single DIN to fit in the SuperDuty din-and-a-half space. Metra also makes an adapter harness that plugs in to the the factory harness so you don't need to do any wire cutting, just splice this adapter onto the harness that comes with your aftermarket stereo.

(you can put the goody tray on the top or bottom, I opted for the top...)
doubleslottedflaps likes this.
post #7 of 59 Old 07-29-2019, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Totally doable and not even that difficult, I would recommend Crutchfield, use their harness build service, makes it almost plug and play
minimal amount of cutting rewards you with excellent sound and NAV if that's where you want to go

2004 F250 CCSB 4X4
4" Skyjacker lift
3:73 gears
35x12.5x18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on Method MR309 wheels
KDD heads, ARP studs, BD exhaust manifolds, DieselSite up pipes, Mishimoto degas bottle
PHP Insight PRO
PHP Atlas 40 FICM tune
post #8 of 59 Old 07-29-2019, 07:34 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Left Coast Geek Send a message via MSN to Left Coast Geek Send a message via Yahoo to Left Coast Geek
personally, I think Crutchfields is overpriced and overrated but if splicing a few wires is too hard, sure pay them. the harrness I used cost $11 and took me about 30 minutes to splice as shown in those pics. I opted to solder and shrink-wrap mine.

no cutting was needed to install the single DIN adapter I used, other than trimming tabs off the adapter taht aren't used in a superduty install (its a generic Ford adapter used for a variety of models).

I also replaced all the factory speakers in mine with JL Audio speakers, using wiring adapters like these, https://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-5600.../dp/B01GBPWAXW so no splicing or cutting was required, and these mounting adapters so I could fit 6.5" round speakers both front and rear.
PVC Speaker Adapters - CNC Machined - In Stock or Custom Made

(I think 6.5 rounds have better sound quality than 5x7 ovals)

Last edited by Left Coast Geek; 07-29-2019 at 08:40 PM.
post #9 of 59 Old 07-29-2019, 08:38 PM

Garage
this reminds me, I want to put a SPDT switch on the power wiring to the stereo, so I can switch the stereo's red wire over to the always-on yellow power so I can play the stereo with the truck shut off.... i hate that 4 minute timer that immediately resets if a door is opened.
ZMANN likes this.
post #10 of 59 Old 07-29-2019, 09:53 PM

Crutchfieild and overpriced
my experiance I bought 9 speakers for my wifes tahoe and a deck from them
i bought an MTX 5 channel amp from ebay and the gold series RCA 6 pair from radio shock ( remember them?) for hookup

installed over a day and took the family for a drive smoke started pouring out of multiple speakers ,, turned out the rca jacks were mislabeled and it was mixing lows and highs to the amp
amp fried and put high voltage to the speakers

crutchefield replaced all of them and shipped no questions asked

The Amp I had to pay to get fixed a
because it was an ebay sale not retailer and now MTX does not fix amps and honestly I think they suck ( i have 3 smoked MTX amps and no one to fix )

Sonic and others have better prices but sometimes having a valid warranty thru an authorized retailer is valuable

as far as the pay for splice i won't do it since most of my installs are limited to basics since i use RCA out

6.0 flush pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode