Opinions wanted for keeping EGTs down - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-16-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Opinions wanted for keeping EGTs down

I have a 2003 e450 bus that I would like to reduce egts while pulling long hills on the highway. It is a 7.3 which needed injectors and a IDM. I also replaced the exhaust which was a major restriction and didnt allow the engine to build full boost. Most i could get was 13 psi and it was super sluggish, now I can get 20 psi. It runs like a dream now until highway speeds. On hills the EGTs will easily hit 1200 while trying to maintain 70 mph. I know that's not super dangerous... but the route we take has lots of many mile long hills and the egts just sit at 1150 for minutes on end.

Now my question is this, Should I spend the time and money to cobble and shoehorn an intercooler setup? Or should I go with water meth injection and get a tuner on it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20190413_142546_LI.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	6.68 MB
ID:	720867  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-16-2019, 06:58 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You probably have lower gearing so 70mph probably has the rpms higher than most single rear wheel pickups. One thing that CAN help reduce egts but not a huge decrease is the wicked wheel 2 turbo wheel.

Did you go with a straight pipe exhaust? I only saw about 100 degrees egt decrease when removing the cat and muffler on previous diesels.

A hydra chip will help but again its a combination of things that will make the biggest difference. You can try the daily driver tune for your trucks pcm code.

The hydra chip comes with an online server link to tons of tunes for your trucks specific ecm code so you could try the various daily/performance tunes and see which ones net you the lowest egts. A tow tune MAY work better because it will try to keep the truck at higher rpms more.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin

Last edited by Heavy_GD; 07-17-2019 at 09:38 AM.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-16-2019, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

It has 4.10 gearing. When i rebuilt the turbo I put a factory style billet wheel in. I picked that because I didn't want it too loud inside. But I have the riff raff wheel on my truck now and it isn't that bad. Maybe I will upgrade to that. I have been waiting to pull the trigger on the hydra for a while now... honestly I don't have a good excuse for why I haven't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-16-2019, 07:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I got my hopes a little too high with the wicked wheel 2 personally but it did completely eliminate the turbo surge during heavy towing and give me a couple more psi and reduce egts but wasn't a game changer per say. I would still add it to any 7.3l that tows though. Did you do a full straight pipe exhaust? Some don't like the drone that can be created but even a hi-flow muffler is still better than the oem unit and still keeps sound manageable.

The vans have some complications but some folks have fabbed a custom intake that can give a little more air flow etc. You will have to google it though I didn't save the link.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #5 of 18 Old 07-16-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Yes it is straight exhaust with a flow through 24 inch muffler. There is a drone but its not unbearable. I posted on here the intake i made ( https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...econoline.html ) it works really well and probably helps with egts a bit. But I never drove the bus before all the mods I put on it so i cant be too sure.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-16-2019, 12:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
One thing you can do is drop down a gear, this will raise RPM 's which reduces the EGT's.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-16-2019, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
1150 degrees is acceptable...your engine will run fine for hours on end at that temp. Saw you have 410 gears so dropping down a gear probably isn't an option to get more air?
post #8 of 18 Old 07-16-2019, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 1131 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly96 View Post
It has 4.10 gearing. When i rebuilt the turbo I put a factory style billet wheel in. I picked that because I didn't want it too loud inside. But I have the riff raff wheel on my truck now and it isn't that bad. Maybe I will upgrade to that. I have been waiting to pull the trigger on the hydra for a while now... honestly I don't have a good excuse for why I haven't.
This will help with EGT's will that billet wheel you have.

https://cncfab.us/i-30498146-kc-turb...ct-300103.html

And this for safe power.

https://cncfab.us/i-30498022-php-hyd...php-hydra.html

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

post #9 of 18 Old 07-17-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. It's unfortunate that its so easy to remove the turbo on the van bodies... I really have no excuse for turbo upgrades.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-18-2019, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly96 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. It's unfortunate that its so easy to remove the turbo on the van bodies... I really have no excuse for turbo upgrades.
My opinion....if the van does what you want aside from the perceived "high EGTs" that are still within safe operating range, I'd keep driving it as is and invest or safe the money you'd spend on the "upgrades"

39 years old
no debt aside from my house
paying the house off within 5 years
White_Buffalo7.3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode