11Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Unread 07-15-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dyno vs synthetic blend

The rotella synthetic blend is on sale at the same price as the dino oil. Should I get the blend? Once I do, can I go back? Will it help my engine life?

I've seen it on sale before but stuck with the dino.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Unread 07-15-2019, 03:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Any good quality oil, changed at 5k intervals will be fine. You can blend dyno and synthetic and go back to dyno anytime. The big advantage to synthetic is in extreme heat and cold temps. Flows better cold and stands up to heat better.
post #3 of 19 Unread 07-15-2019, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Regular 15w40 changed every 5K works fine for me. Synthetic doesn't help your engine last longer unless you the kind of person who forgets to change the oil and runs it 10-20K between oil changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Unread 07-16-2019, 02:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I know from experience that synthetic oil changed regularly works to prevent wear in the cylinders and help with all other moving parts. I have a street rod with a big solid roller and 14.5-1 compression going on 24 years old. I drive it daily. Nothing but synthetic oil. I removed the plugs the other day and took my inspection camera and looked in the cylinders. Looked like I just built the motor. Every criss-cross from honing was still there. Convinced me right then.
post #5 of 19 Unread 07-16-2019, 06:41 AM
DieselDC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugtruck1* View Post
I know from experience that synthetic oil changed regularly works to prevent wear in the cylinders and help with all other moving parts. I have a street rod with a big solid roller and 14.5-1 compression going on 24 years old. I drive it daily. Nothing but synthetic oil. I removed the plugs the other day and took my inspection camera and looked in the cylinders. Looked like I just built the motor. Every criss-cross from honing was still there. Convinced me right then.

So how many miles with said oil + 24yr? If itís not over 200k itís not worth mentioning.

óóóóósignatureóóóóó
~Donít overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...
post #6 of 19 Unread 07-16-2019, 06:45 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnut View Post
The rotella synthetic blend is on sale at the same price as the dino oil. Should I get the blend? Once I do, can I go back? Will it help my engine life?

I've seen it on sale before but stuck with the dino.

Long story short.... You will like the synthetic blend and your 20yr old injectors will too. I ran Delo 15w-40 since they day I remembered changing oil NOTHING WRONG WITH IT... But, I tried synthetic oil for the first time ever last year and I'll tell you what... My truck really likes it in cold weather. You stick my truck in -25 with 15w-40 dyno and 15w-40 full synthetic or even the t5 synthetic blend and you will hear/feel a difference BIG time.

DISCLAIMER: Im not saying synthetic oil is the best thing since sliced bread but diesels running in below zero ABSOLUTLEY WILL run smoother. Its the ONLY REASON I started and to be honest I have not developed any leaks. I did notice a increase in oil consumption when I used the t6 5w-40 so I switched to the new t6 15w-40 and its been better. again Im not saying its the best thing but the truck will run smoother on a syn blend or full synth oil ESPECIALLY in cold weather.

Can you tell I like the capitol letters lol.
john galt likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #7 of 19 Unread 07-16-2019, 10:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Diesel DC; I agree with you on the terms of if its not over 200, 000 miles is not worth mentioning on a regular car, that being said on a race car that's driven on the street daily with14 1/2 to 1 compression, 600 lift solid roller cam and regularly sees 8000 RPM on a weekly basis to have the criss-crosses in there after 24 years that is significant. On the milage, 50,000 plus. Ford 351W
john galt and SparkyF250 like this.
post #8 of 19 Unread 07-16-2019, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
cold weather (below freezing) you should be running 5w-40
post #9 of 19 Unread 07-17-2019, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I live in South Georgia so cold isn't a problem.

In your opinion, is an oil change based solely on miles or also date? It's been 5-6 months since a change but only 2000-2500 miles.

post #10 of 19 Unread 07-17-2019, 05:52 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
This is how a Mobil oil rep explained the key difference to me a long time ago. Imagine the red being individual ďmoleculesĒ of a synthetic, and the black being conventional oil. Synthetic oils still use petroleum as their base product. The base oil is refined through temperature and pressure to produce uniform and consistent sizes and shapes (synthesized). The uniform size and shape allow the molecules to fit tighter together, thus forming a better barrier between moving parts. Conventional oilsí molecules are different shapes and sizes. The lab made additive packages are added, (also synthetic), which serve various purposes from cleaning (detergents), anti wear, to anti foaming agents and anti wear additives, and viscosity changes. Contrary to what some believe, the base oil never wears out in an engine-not even in a turbine. Itís the add packs that break down-think recycled oil here. The used oil is hydrocracked to separate any contaminants, and the base oil is reused. Synthetic blends are just that. Blends. I recall 20% as the number he said back then, but each manufacturer has different parameters on their percentages. Even using 1% is still considered a blend. The main purposes of oil is obviously lubrication, but also cooling and its ability to hold contaminants in suspension.

Are synthetics better than conventional oils? Absolutely without a doubt. Iíve used synthetic since Iíve been driving in everything from my cars and trucks to lawnmowers and bobcats. Thereís a good reason why GE, Turbomeca, and Rolls Royce use synthetics. An engine failure at altitude usually doesnít end well for folks onboard. All that being said, conventional oil isnít going to harm your truck. Itís really a matter of cost and preference. Itís like smoking a brisket. Do I use charcoal or seasoned wood? The end result is the same whichever I choose-it ends up in the septic tank when Iím done.
john galt and SparkyF250 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode