6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-10-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP Upgrade?

Hello all, I'm looking to get some input on upgrading my hpop. I've owned my 2003 7.3 for about two years now and replaced one injector along with doing some other upgrades. The engine has about 236,000 miles on it (she's just gettin her legs) and I have no idea if the hpop has ever been changed. It looks like it's been on the engine a long time. When I start the truck in any outside temperature or if the engine is warm or cold, I get a lumpy idle for about 15 seconds and the it idles smooth. It's not a skip it just seems a little rough on start up. Has anyone else run across this condition with their 7.3? Also I've been eyeballing the Adrenaline hpop as a replacement. Anyone install one on their 7.3 and is it as good as it sounds? Thanks

2003 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat 4X4 236K Miles
SCT X4 40hp Tow Tune, S&B Cold Air Intake, Wicked Wheel 2, ATS Ported Turbo Housing, Diamond Eye 4" Exhaust, Mishimoto 6.0 Transmission Cooler, RedHead Steering Box, Eaton Truetrac differential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-10-2019, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Could be a lot of things, but the HPOP would be pretty far down the list of things. Most likely tired injectors. Might try new injector o-rings

Travis T

1999.2"5 F350 4X4 CC 7.3 LWB SuperLift, AIS, Gooseneck, Zoodad, South Texas Outfitters Bumpers, Autoenginuity Ford 4R100HD

2002 F250 2X4 CC SWB (Wife's) Stock except for AIS filter and Gooseneck
post #3 of 16 Old 07-10-2019, 10:16 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoteacher View Post
Hello all, I'm looking to get some input on upgrading my hpop. I've owned my 2003 7.3 for about two years now and replaced one injector along with doing some other upgrades. The engine has about 236,000 miles on it (she's just gettin her legs) and I have no idea if the hpop has ever been changed. It looks like it's been on the engine a long time. When I start the truck in any outside temperature or if the engine is warm or cold, I get a lumpy idle for about 15 seconds and the it idles smooth. It's not a skip it just seems a little rough on start up. Has anyone else run across this condition with their 7.3? Also I've been eyeballing the Adrenaline hpop as a replacement. Anyone install one on their 7.3 and is it as good as it sounds? Thanks
before you start spending $600 plus all the labor on a HPOP I would hook it up to a monitor and check the readings for the following:

ICP sensor- what does it read during the rough idle vs when it smoothes out
IPR sensor- what does it read during cranking, idle, and full throttle

The IPR commands how much pressure the hpop creates is used for the engine. I.E. common for it to stick open or bad wire harness due to heat and oil causes all sorts of issues. The ICP relays the info to the pcm to use and dictate what the ecm demands. If your hpop is putting out good pressure but the ipr nut needs tightened, or sensor is failing it will never run right etc.

Also whats the injector readings?

also whats the Under the valve cover harness look like? if its the OEM most likely its not in the best condition and needs to be replaced... ONLY USE MOTORCRAFT for the sensors. you can Google many the folks who spent money/time twice to replace parts house with ford down the road.

Also what oil are you using? at 236k the original injectors are nearing the end of their performance life cycle. I.E. they work but not the best. You will notice a good improvement if you use a synthetic blend like the rotella t5 15w-40 or I settled with the new rotella t6 15w-40 full synthetic since it helped me so much at -25 here in winter. First time I ever use full synthetic and its really helped cold weather performance.

I would start researching for a monitor like an scangauge, edge insight or troq pro app and blue tooth to obdII adapter before throwing parts at it.
ToyMan, john galt and Hydro like this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-10-2019, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I have a adrenaline pump on mine and love it. Mine starts and runs good idles smooth. Holds pressure great all the way to red line and has not missed a beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 16 Old 07-10-2019, 04:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
How long ago did you replace the one injector and why just one? Do you use an additive in the fuel? I have about 2000 miles on my injectors, changed at 200K, and I couldn't be happier.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-10-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I replaced #6 injector last winter after a rough idle on below 20 degrees start up. The injector was not as loud as the rest during a buzz test. I replaced my IPR and icp soon after replacing the injector. I only use OEM Ford parts from my local Ford dealer. Sounds like I should replace the injectors? I was trying to hold out and get a set of stage 1 injectors from Full Force Diesel. I tow a 12k camper so any extra power would be welcome.

SCT X4 40hp Tow Tune, S&B Cold Air Intake, Wicked Wheel 2, ATS Ported Turbo Housing, Diamond Eye 4" Exhaust, Mishimoto 6.0 Transmission Cooler, RedHead Steering Box, Eaton Truetrac differential.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-11-2019, 06:48 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoteacher View Post
I replaced #6 injector last winter after a rough idle on below 20 degrees start up. The injector was not as loud as the rest during a buzz test. I replaced my IPR and icp soon after replacing the injector. I only use OEM Ford parts from my local Ford dealer. Sounds like I should replace the injectors? I was trying to hold out and get a set of stage 1 injectors from Full Force Diesel. I tow a 12k camper so any extra power would be welcome.
You could try and change the oil to a synthetic blend or full synthetic and see how it runs. That is usually a bandaid until high milage 7.3ls owners can afford new injectors. You will notice a difference in idle, performance even in warm weather. I personally saw too much oil consumption with the rotella t6 5w-40 so I switched to the new t6 15w-40 both full synthetics and so far my oil consumption is back to normal 1.5-2qrts in 5k mile change intervals.

again the synthetic blend or full syn is a temporary solution.

did you replace the wire connectors and few inches of wire for the IPR? its VERY COMMON to replace the sensor and still have IPR related issues do to the wiring being so bad.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #8 of 16 Old 07-13-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I replaced the ICP because it showed signs of oil leaking out the top. I replaces the IPR valve as kind of preventive maintenance, the pressure looked good on the scan tool but the valve looked like it's been there a long time. The connector looked good when I changed the IPR and I have the old IPR valve in the glove box just in case. I bought the truck 2 years ago with 210k on it with no service history records so I'm replacing known trouble areas as time and money allow. I've also done some performance mods that really woke the old girl up. When I replaces the injector I noticed each injector had a cylinder number painted on top, so I'm thinking someone may have rebuilt the injectors but I don't know when they were done. The truck performs great except for the 15 second rough idle on start ups. Living in the northeast I'm also battling rust. I already rebuilt a used bed (new floor from Ford and patch panels) and installed it on the truck. Next up is replacing the cab with a rust free one I've acquired. I know my 7.3 engine can run for ever but I'll be riding around on a frame and a milk crate if I don't address the rust. And no I can't bring myself to spend $70k on a new truck and having to worry about a $10k fuel system repair. I'll take my old disappearing 7.3 any day.

Last edited by Autoteacher; 07-13-2019 at 08:09 AM.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-13-2019, 05:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Been around 7.3s and these forums since 2004, I've never seen or heard of a HPOP failing.....most replace for more oil to drive bigger injectors.
7.3_TurboDiesel likes this.

Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

97 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD E4OD 203K all original
99 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF6 253K all original
post #10 of 16 Old 07-16-2019, 02:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've got the adrinaline and love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in