Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Locust, NC
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E99 F550 Upgrade Project - 2wd to 4wd, Turbo, etc
Early 1999 F550, 7.3L, ZF-6, 2wd, crew cab, 210K mis, stock except for 4" turbo-back exhaust. I probably put less than 3000 mis per year on it, mainly hauling around a big slide-in camper with a small toy hauler in tow. An F550 is probably a bit overkill for this, but I like having the extra payload (and brake!) capacity when needed. My main objective for this truck is fuel economy and longevity. I don't want to sink a ton of money into this truck, but I don't want to go cheap either. I'll spend a little more to have a reliable long distance hauler.
4wd conversion - The existing "reman" ZF-6 (with about 50K mis on it) started jumping out of 5th gear a while back and just recently started rattling really bad so it's time for it to go. I've been wanting to convert this truck to a 4x4 since I've owned it so I procured a 4wd parts donor.
Also needing attention... the up-pipes are leaking and the clutch pedal will occasionally hit the floor after a long highway run.
2000 F550, 7.3L, ZF-6, 4wd, single cab, 150K mis, stock. It's a total rot-box being an ex-PA plow/sander truck. It ran but had a miss and fluids were leaking everywhere so, unfortunately, I only got to drive it around the yard.
Here is where the questions start to pile up...
- Is the 4x4 trans/tcase going to bolt right up? I already know I'll need to deal with driveshafts and floor shifter. Anything else?
- Is there any wiring harness/control stuff involved in the trans swap?
- What clutch should I use for best driveability and durability for towing/hauling?
- Any recommendations on clutch hydraulics?
- And the BIG can-o-worms... do I stick with the early 99 turbo set-up or do I swap in the 2000 set-up? If so, why? ...and how?
- Any other things I should consider swapping/upgrading/eliminating while I'm in this deep?
Last edited by bull gear; 07-09-2019 at 09:04 PM.