HELP! 2001 f350 GEM or bcm problems, seeking advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-08-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! 2001 f350 GEM or bcm problems, seeking advice

2001 f350 4 door longbed 4x4.* *i've had it sence 85k miles,* *it now has180k miles.* * * about 4 years ago the truck would not automatically lock the hubs,* which are vacuum operated.* * i had a great mechanic check it out and he traced it to what he called the body control module, (i have also read that these are called the "GEM", which a lot of electronic functions run thru in that truck.* *everything else worked so i just started using the manual locks on the hubs,* * * suddenly,* *my truck will not go into 4x4 low,* *but it will go into 4x4 high(according to the dash light indicator).* * *it is likely it is the electric actuator on the transfer case but it could also be the "BCM"* * * * * apparently replacing the bcm is* harder than it seems for this year truck,* ford stopped making the them.* * neither I nor my mechanic could locate one.* * i believe they have to be pretty much matched up to the truck.* *

first question,* *are they called a "BCM" (BODY CONTROL MODULE) OR A "GEM"? ARE THEY THE SAME!

second question,* *if anyone here has had this go out,* what did you do for a solution?* *i have heard there is a place you can send them to to get "rewired" or something.* *i have also heard of pulling a fuse to "reset" the system* *and also disconnecting the battery.*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-08-2019, 04:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No "BCM" (I think of that as being a Chrysler Term). But now for the confusing part

During the '01 run, some got a GEM, some got a VSM (the electrics were being updated) and how you can tell is actually by the Instrument Cluster (which itself became a Module, taking the GEM's basic functions). IF your cluster has a Digital OD and a Trans Temp Gauge in it, then you Do NOT have a GEM. IF you don't have those things in the cluster then you HAVE A GEM (located on the backside of the in-cab fuse panel and the first thing you should look for is that it's been getting Wet because of a, common, windshield leak)

Whether or not you have a VSM (Vehicle Security Module) depends on the trim level of your truck. Trucks with only the basics (no central locking, no ESOF, that kind of stuff) had no need of the VSM as the Cluster was doing the basic body functions now.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-08-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
No "BCM" (I think of that as being a Chrysler Term). But now for the confusing part

During the '01 run, some got a GEM, some got a VSM (the electrics were being updated) and how you can tell is actually by the Instrument Cluster (which itself became a Module, taking the GEM's basic functions). IF your cluster has a Digital OD and a Trans Temp Gauge in it, then you Do NOT have a GEM. IF you don't have those things in the cluster then you HAVE A GEM (located on the backside of the in-cab fuse panel and the first thing you should look for is that it's been getting Wet because of a, common, windshield leak)

Whether or not you have a VSM (Vehicle Security Module) depends on the trim level of your truck. Trucks with only the basics (no central locking, no ESOF, that kind of stuff) had no need of the VSM as the Cluster was doing the basic body functions now.
THAT IS confusing for sure. i do not have any stock digital guages in my cluster, and definetely no transmission temp gauge.

i do have the esof though. when i switch it to 4x4 low, the "low" light doesnot come on anymore, but the "4x4" is still lit, which i assume means that it is still in 4x4 high. it just i hope the pics come thru. it is an XLT trim. not sure what central locking is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-08-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

well, can't upload my pics
post #5 of 13 Old 07-09-2019, 04:49 AM

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my cluster description Not a digital gauge of any sort but rather the mere presents of a Trans Temp gauge at all (no 2000 has a TT gauge in the cluster and All 2002's do have them). So 2001's have either the "old" (2000 and down) electrics or the "new" (2002 and up) electrics.

But, and maybe even easier, is your Odometer. Does it have numbers on wheels that mechanically turn or digital numbers? (old electrics mechanical ~ new digital).

Again, the 2000 (and some '01's) have no gauge and Mechanical OD) and all 2002's (and some '01's) have a TT gauge and a Digital OD).

Which do you have?
post #6 of 13 Old 07-09-2019, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my cluster description Not a digital gauge of any sort but rather the mere presents of a Trans Temp gauge at all (no 2000 has a TT gauge in the cluster and All 2002's do have them). So 2001's have either the "old" (2000 and down) electrics or the "new" (2002 and up) electrics.

But, and maybe even easier, is your Odometer. Does it have numbers on wheels that mechanically turn or digital numbers? (old electrics mechanical ~ new digital).

Again, the 2000 (and some '01's) have no gauge and Mechanical OD) and all 2002's (and some '01's) have a TT gauge and a Digital OD).

Which do you have?
i must have the older style with "old electrics" since i do not have a TT guage and my odometer is mechanical. would this indicate a body control module rather than a gem?
post #7 of 13 Old 07-09-2019, 08:01 AM

No, again, the GEM is what Ford calls their BCM and you DO HAVE a GEM (backside of in-cab fusebox) and next you might drop that box (easy to do just 4 screws and it drops down) and look at the GEM for signs of corrosion because it's been getting wet.

You have no BCM, VSM, nor a Cluster that's performing body functions in your '01.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-09-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
No, again, the GEM is what Ford calls their BCM and you DO HAVE a GEM (backside of in-cab fusebox) and next you might drop that box (easy to do just 4 screws and it drops down) and look at the GEM for signs of corrosion because it's been getting wet.

You have no BCM, VSM, nor a Cluster that's performing body functions in your '01.

got it. i found it behind the fuse box. there are forum posts about pulling a fuse or disconnecting batteries to "reset" the gem ,,,or possible the ecu. do these strategies make any sense,, or just internet myth?

found a place in florida that sells rebuilt gems for 450$ good or bad price? can they even be found new anymore?
post #9 of 13 Old 07-09-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwind View Post
got it. i found it behind the fuse box. there are forum posts about pulling a fuse or disconnecting batteries to "reset" the gem ,,,or possible the ecu. do these strategies make any sense,, or just internet myth?
Couldn't hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwind View Post
found a place in florida that sells rebuilt gems for 450$ good or bad price? can they even be found new anymore?
I'm afraid I can't be of much help with pricing or availability, I'd be surprised if you had to spend that much though...

BUT, is the ESOF the Only issue you're trying to cure with changing the GEM? I would do a little investigation into the system before I did that! Have you confirmed that the motor on the TC isn't moving? Could it be stuck? Can you move the drive into the TC by hand to make sure everything inside will move?

Does the GEM look corroded inside? The connector looks like it's healthy and clean?
post #10 of 13 Old 07-09-2019, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Garage
Lets see what Mike at Autonation has to say about price and availability has to say. @fordsvtparts

2003 F-350, CC, LB, 285/75/16, Autometer Gages, Fox 2.0's (Thanks to Corey), Sninister Bypass Coolant Filter, 4" Turbo Back,Leece-Neville 230 Amp Alternator, 6.4 litre starter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode