99 n7.3 psd was not well taken care of, no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 07-08-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 n7.3 psd was not well taken care of, no start

OK Im new to this forum but not new to diesel engines but this one has me stumped.
Have gone over the basics:
CMP replaced 5 times 2 bad Ford 1 Bad IH had to ask for the dark one by part number now show RPM in scan
Valve cover harness replaced as well as sections of the external harness on both side due to insulation missing
IDM full of water Replaced
PCM could not pull codes opened full of corrosion Replaced
Have good fuel flow clean fuel
Have good LP oil flow into HPOP
Have flow out of HPOP
Have good solid 5v ref at all sensors
Have good grounds where a ground should be no opens or shorts (after fixing harness above)
DTC check shows no PCM codes just some known GEM codes
WTS functions as normal
Buzz test sounds good and strong on all 8 returns with no errors

The only thing that was done properly on this truck was oil changes so at least that isn't any issue

What I have now is intermittent ICP reading seems to be all or none value in Forscan shows about 2200psi or its nothing.

When it does show as soon as cranking stops it drops instantly to 0 no bleed off time. I have not checked orings yet because truck was running when it shut off to not start again. Did however run too rich and billowed white unburnt fuel but with the UVCH having burnt wires there was at least one injector that didnt fire with a possible 2 others. Truck was low on power as well.

Could that many orings have failed that the HPOP cant actually make enough pressure to fire the injectors or the HPOP itself gone that fast? Ive never seen either before but Im in a small town in the middle of Ohio.

If I missed checking a basic by all means let me know but if any of this has happened to anyone else did you find the cause and a remedy?

this is a first build early 99 the PCM that was in it was the first revision as well as the 110v IDM (now 120)
Thanks for any help or ideas
DaveP. likes this.

Last edited by yeknom; 07-08-2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spell check
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-08-2019, 03:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Try unplugging the ICP sensor and see if it starts. If it does thatís your problem, I also suspect a bad IPR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 28 Old 07-08-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3_TurboDiesel View Post
Try unplugging the ICP sensor and see if it starts. If it does thatís your problem, I also suspect a bad IPR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have tried that as well. Forgot about doing that and listing.

Not even a whiff of smoke.
Also the IPR nut was tight and attached.

When I checked level in HPOP it was totally full, not sure if that means anything but all the other PSD 7.3s Ive worked on it was an inch or so below the thread level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 07-08-2019, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Can you monitor ipr duty cycle while cranking?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 28 Old 07-09-2019, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Coupla things, anytime you unplug the ICP you should set a code. Not sure why ForScan wouldn't have picked that up.

Next 2,200 psi is what the PCM sets as a Default value for the IPR to run with and if you see no pressure rise & fall (plus that particular 2,200psi) I'm gonna guess it's not believing your ICP sensor. You really need to be able to accurately read codes and get sensor readings to go from here. How have you determined that you have good "flow" from your HPOP? Can you get a, High Pressure, Gauge on it?

When attempting to Start, configure your app (TorqueApp is actually easier for this) to monitor these 4 important things (there are thresholds that the PCM needs to see exceeded before it will trigger the IDM to fire the injectors).

While Cranking on the starter, what do you get for;

RPM
ICP
IPR
Voltage
post #6 of 28 Old 07-09-2019, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No gauge as of yet, working on that.
As for flow I simply loosened up the line to see if there was any oil coming out.

I am going to run over to where the truck is in a few minutes and I will get the 4 readings. The only one I know for sure off the top of my head is RPM from 160-175. That was a chore with the CMP as I could not get a good one until I got my hands on the "C" revision and put it in and FINALLY got RPM reading this was Sunday when I found the good one.
post #7 of 28 Old 07-09-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

IPR 64.84 % Injector Control Pressure Regulator
ICP 27.3 kPa Injector Control Pressure
RPM 177 rev/min Engine Revolutions Per Minute
VREF 5.03 Volt Reference Voltage
VPWR 10.94 Volt Module supply voltage
FUELPW 0.53 ms Fuel Pulse Width

Unable to use TorqueApp have a USB to OBD-II need bluetooth to use phone.

Getting a different reading from the ICP than I did yesterday. Yesterday it was either 0 or 2200 psi (converted)
post #8 of 28 Old 07-09-2019, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Isnt 27.3 kpa like 4 psi? Your ipr duty cycle is maxing out, so the computer keeps telling the ipr to try harder waiting to see the correct amount of pressure, which your icp is not showing. Something goin on in that system.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 28 Old 07-09-2019, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yea, you've got a HiPres Oil problem...

The fact that the IPR has "maxed-out" is a good indication that the PCM isn't happy with the Injection Pressure (ICP) and if this were only the sensor, it would have started when you unplugged it (if there was, in fact, good pressure that the sensor was reporting wrongly).

If the reservoir is full, then either the HPOP isn't capable of making good pressure or the good pressure it Is making is being bled-off somewhere. Next maybe pull the valve covers and look for signs of a serious O-ring leak.

7.3_TurboDiesel likes this.
post #10 of 28 Old 07-09-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Yea, you've got a HiPres Oil problem...

The fact that the IPR has "maxed-out" is a good indication that the PCM isn't happy with the Injection Pressure (ICP) and if this were only the sensor, it would have started when you unplugged it (if there was, in fact, good pressure that the sensor was reporting wrongly).

If the reservoir is full, then either the HPOP isn't capable of making good pressure or the good pressure it Is making is being bled-off somewhere. Next maybe pull the valve covers and look for signs of a serious O-ring leak.
HPOP is indeed full. Will get covers off and see if I find leaks. Odd thing is even with the UVCH with one wire for injector and 2 for GP it didnt start hard before. Then one day on a 50 mile trip was 34 miles in and it died (think due to water in IDM plus the corroded PCM). Has anyone seen enough o-rings fail that quickly to cause pretty much no pressure in the hi side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode