Doing a clutch in my 00' 7.3 wondering what should I be aware of - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-24-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Doing a clutch in my 00' 7.3 wondering what should I be aware of

Hi folks,

Like stated I am doing a clutch this weekend in my truck and I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row. I have a Southbend 194460K kit coming and rear seal. Anything else I should be thinking about while I am in there? The truck has an edge chip that I run on the most conservatively setting. It has 235,000 fairly easy km and doesn't get flogged too hard, just DD with kids and occasional boat or wood runs. Any pointers greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-24-2019, 01:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The Southbend kit is pretty spot on (I'm on my second one - not because of failure, because I needed more clutch due to mods). Your kit is the one I had - now I have the SFDD3250-6-ORG. It's one of the easier clutches to replace all things considered. Lot's of room to work, relatively easy access to the bolts. 1/4 turn slave cylinder.

Ensure you have the upgraded fork is about the only thing I can think of. You're in there anyway - might as well ensure you have that in there too.

When putting the rear mount up - do not tighten anything until all the bolts are at least started - makes it a heck of a lot easier to assemble the braces.

Make sure the output shaft rotates the input shaft to ease alignment - other than that it pretty straight forward. The rear seal is a joy, that's for sure. I did *not* rent the tool. 2x4 across and a good mallet to drive it home.
SparkyF250 likes this.

01 F350 Dually 4x2 Long 7.3 - Manual - Mods: Hutch, Harpoon, Remote Fuel Filter, Dual Disk Southbend Clutch, Heim Joint, Gauges, Disabler, 08 Tail w/Camera, Pioneer Head w/Lockpick, Exhaust Brake, Rails, Air Raid, 06 Headlights, 50 cent, Air Bags, Hydra, Riff Raff Boots, AFE Blade Runner intake, CNC HPOP lines, Banks Monster Turbo Back 4 inch, Billet Aluminum Plenums, ATS Boost Fooler, AFE Wastegate, Bellowed Up Pipes, Garret Powermax Ball Bearing Turbo, 160/30's, Moroso Pan, CnC 4 Fuel X-Over, CxRacing Intercooler Pipes. Coming next: ?? Wish list: Train horn, 4x4 conversion.

06 Mustang GT - GCC spec (Infidels May be closer than they appear) (SOLD)

16 Sonata Hybrid - Gas saver

Last edited by Arizona_SVO; 06-24-2019 at 01:41 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-24-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is the (hopefully) upgraded fork part of the Southbend kit or is it a separate thing I need to sort out? The rear seal is ok to do without special tooling? I will stick to your tips about keeping it loose until all started. Pretty standard practice for most. Will I need a second person for bleeding the slave? All i have is a flat shop floor, ramps to get me about 9" off the ground and a HD trans jack normally for commercial trucks, no hoist. Am I going to hate my life? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-24-2019, 02:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Have 7 quarts of Redline MTL to dump in the shifter hole before you put it back on, you will thank yourself later. Penzzoil Syncromesh is also a good fluid to use if you don't want to spend the money on the Redline.
SparkyF250 likes this.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-24-2019, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The fork is *not* part of the kit. You will have to get it separately if you want it. You shouldn't have to bleed the slave - the whole thing pops-off the transmission with a 1/4 turn. You will have no issue on a flat floor (I just did mine in a driveway - no ramps at all). It's not too bad - first time it took me several hours - second time I can drop/swap/reinstall in about 3 with time for breaks in there.

01 F350 Dually 4x2 Long 7.3 - Manual - Mods: Hutch, Harpoon, Remote Fuel Filter, Dual Disk Southbend Clutch, Heim Joint, Gauges, Disabler, 08 Tail w/Camera, Pioneer Head w/Lockpick, Exhaust Brake, Rails, Air Raid, 06 Headlights, 50 cent, Air Bags, Hydra, Riff Raff Boots, AFE Blade Runner intake, CNC HPOP lines, Banks Monster Turbo Back 4 inch, Billet Aluminum Plenums, ATS Boost Fooler, AFE Wastegate, Bellowed Up Pipes, Garret Powermax Ball Bearing Turbo, 160/30's, Moroso Pan, CnC 4 Fuel X-Over, CxRacing Intercooler Pipes. Coming next: ?? Wish list: Train horn, 4x4 conversion.

06 Mustang GT - GCC spec (Infidels May be closer than they appear) (SOLD)

16 Sonata Hybrid - Gas saver
post #6 of 16 Old 06-24-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes filling a trans with the stupid bottle and maybe a hose is lame for sure. I did just change the oil about 10,000km ago so should be ok. I can't remember exactly but it was a Penzoil Synthetic Mercon ATF I believe in a silver bottle. Seems like there are a couple opinions on what to run in these ZF6s. I'm not overwhelmed with the smoothness of my ZF6 maybe partly due to the clutch on its last legs, I have to make double sure I have the clutch ALL the way on the floorboards before going into gear (have to hold a little pressure on the shifter before depressing clutch) and between shifts. It takes a little focus to make smooth shifts unlike dare I say, my old Toyota Landcruiser or gasp....a Dodge with NV5600.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-24-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok thanks I will line up that clutch fork then!
post #8 of 16 Old 06-24-2019, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 3069 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangoman View Post
Yes filling a trans with the stupid bottle and maybe a hose is lame for sure. I did just change the oil about 10,000km ago so should be ok. I can't remember exactly but it was a Penzoil Synthetic Mercon ATF I believe in a silver bottle. Seems like there are a couple opinions on what to run in these ZF6s. I'm not overwhelmed with the smoothness of my ZF6 maybe partly due to the clutch on its last legs, I have to make double sure I have the clutch ALL the way on the floorboards before going into gear (have to hold a little pressure on the shifter before depressing clutch) and between shifts. It takes a little focus to make smooth shifts unlike dare I say, my old Toyota Landcruiser or gasp....a Dodge with NV5600.

Pretty sure you'll have to source the upgraded fork. Autonation Ford WBL usually has the best OEM prices. @fordsvtparts Also the hard shifting could be the fork, mines doing that now. I'll replace the clutch when I drop it do change the fork.
fordsvtparts likes this.

Sparky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

1991 F350 4x4, 7.3 IDI Flatbed, 5 speed...sold

2008 F250 SCLB 6.4...Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to SparkyF250 For This Useful Post:
fordsvtparts (06-25-2019)
post #9 of 16 Old 06-24-2019, 03:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
I tried the synthetic atf in mine and it shifted terribly, it was much better with the Penzzoil Syncromesh which is actually made for manual transmission. The issue with many synthetic atfs is the fluid is to slippery (for lack of a beter term) to allow the synchronizers to engage, the syncronizer rings rely on friction to speed up or slow down the syncros so they will engage properly without grinding.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-25-2019, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok thanks for that info on the oil. I will likely give that a try. Yeah I've not been overwhelmed by the shifting performance. Its definately a picky truck to drive. Only plus is my wife doesn't like driving it so leaves it alone 😂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode