1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 Old 06-24-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
that post is hailing a member who is familiar with the transmission you have to see if he has any further suggestions
Gotcha!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 06-26-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Just got a call from my mechanic and he states I need a new trans. Mechanic says pump stopped working and that would mean I need a new trans.
Does this sound right or do I need another opinion?
post #13 of 21 Old 06-26-2019, 01:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
I would wait for @[email protected] to reply and get his opinion. He is the resident 7.3/4r100 (your trans) expert.

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Soldó2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 Old 06-26-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=cletusjermal;16300025]I would wait for @[email protected] to reply and get his opinion. He is the resident 7.3/4r100 (your trans) expert.[/QUOT

Still waiting!!
post #15 of 21 Old 06-27-2019, 10:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Sorry man - about the only thing I know about automatics are the following:
1) My wife can't drive one to save her life and she kills them early.
2) They *always* have to be overhauled based on number 1.
3) It's never cheap.

01 F350 Dually 4x2 Long 7.3 - Manual - Mods: Hutch, Harpoon, Remote Fuel Filter, Dual Disk Southbend Clutch, Heim Joint, Gauges, Disabler, 08 Tail w/Camera, Pioneer Head w/Lockpick, Exhaust Brake, Rails, Air Raid, 06 Headlights, 50 cent, Air Bags, Hydra, Riff Raff Boots, AFE Blade Runner intake, CNC HPOP lines, Banks Monster Turbo Back 4 inch, Billet Aluminum Plenums, ATS Boost Fooler, AFE Wastegate, Bellowed Up Pipes, Garret Powermax Ball Bearing Turbo, 160/30's, Moroso Pan, CnC 4 Fuel X-Over, CxRacing Intercooler Pipes. Coming next: ?? Wish list: Train horn, 4x4 conversion.

06 Mustang GT - GCC spec (Infidels May be closer than they appear) (SOLD)

16 Sonata Hybrid - Gas saver
post #16 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 1192 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjblackout View Post
Just got a call from my mechanic and he states I need a new trans. Mechanic says pump stopped working and that would mean I need a new trans.
Does this sound right or do I need another opinion?
I'd put fluid in it and see if the truck will move. If it does, that'll tell you that the mechanic is full of it.

www.cncfab.us

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

post #17 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Since you say you were towing when this ocured, you had a sign of the classic overheated 4R100 trans/torque converter. So I would fill it up and test drive it to see if it drives and still leaks, if no leaking and it shifts fine just drive it. The trans shaft seal will have cooled and sealed up and hold fluid, if it continues to leak then the trans will need to be taken out to replace that seal and it might make sense to ck the whole trans out and rebuild. If it was caused by the over heating you have to figure out why. Cooler clogged or blocked, bad bypass valve or slipping bad trans.
You could have a blocked/malfuntioning bypass valve/tube that could be causing the over heating or it could have been the towing. I certainly wouldn't pay someone 2,3 or 4K to rebuild it if it still drives fine after filling it up.

Last edited by duffster; 06-30-2019 at 09:29 PM.
post #18 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

I picked it up and drove it to another place that specializes in trans only work and it drove fine there which was a 30 minute drive. Second place is removing the trans on Monday and going through it to see if anything is damaged. He has already stated it may need a torque converter and new pump but also said they drove it and it leaked no fluid and drove fine.

My fear is just continuing to drive it until it pukes fluid all over the place again. Again I am not mechanically inclined so I am kind of going off what they tell me.

When the trans leaked and puked fluid I was simply just backing a 5x8 trailer backwards into a driveway. 2nd mechanic did state that trans is under a lot more stress when going backward. He thinks pump overheated and may have caused damage and he also thinks I guess pump gasket or some gasket in front of trans may be compromised.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bjblackout For This Useful Post:
ZMANN (06-29-2019)
post #19 of 21 Old 06-30-2019, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Backing up the truck would create a no air flow tru the trans cooler issue and could cause a over heat if it was a long heavy push but a simple small 5"x8" into a driveway I doubt it.
Hopefully you've got a guy who knows all the little fixes and up grades that the 4R100 need to make them great. I had mine rebuilt with a upgraded torque converter and also had a TransGo "Tugger" upgrade kit installed when mine was done a great investment to do ! Along with a added large trans fluid cooler. The features it has are great and 85,000 miles later my trans is still towing strong.

Duffster/aka Rich D
Early 99 F250 XLT,White/Silver,4x4,SC,SB,A/T,PMT1,ARE LSII tonneau,Amp Research power steps,MB Razor's,35-12.5-20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2,Rhino Liner,Rancho9000's,Bushwacker Street Flares,DP-Tuner F5,True-Cool Max,AFE modified-W.D.RamAir,5"Hypermax exhaust,Hypermax DP,Firestone Ride-Rites,4" Rough Country lift w/dual steering stabilizers,AutoMeter-ProComps/triple pillar,heated TTT mirrors,DEI remote start,Amsoil enhanced.

Last edited by duffster; 06-30-2019 at 09:31 PM.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-01-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Rebuild begins tomorrow. Should be back on the road friday. $4000 later with all upodates and 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode