Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Crank/No Start, Loping

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  mike_hurd2000 
#1 ·
Went to run an errand the other day after not driving for a few days. Truck started right up. Got to the corner half a block from my house and engine loping really bad. Turn around and head back to the house, truck dies as I pull into the driveway, won't start after that.

Check my oil, and dipstick is completely dry. Look around, there's a small spot of oil on the ground about the size of a coffee can. Get stuff to do an oil change.

During oil change, drain out about 2 gallons of oil. Replace filters and oil.

Truck cranks, but doesn't start. Turned over once and fired, but died immediately, Just cranks now.

Any ideas where to start. Not throwing any codes.

#2 ·
Went to run an errand the other day after not driving for a few days. Truck started right up. Got to the corner half a block from my house and engine loping really bad. Turn around and head back to the house, truck dies as I pull into the driveway, won't start after that.

Check my oil, and dipstick is completely dry. Look around, there's a small spot of oil on the ground about the size of a coffee can. Get stuff to do an oil change.

During oil change, drain out about 2 gallons of oil. Replace filters and oil.

Truck cranks, but doesn't start. Turned over once and fired, but died immediately, Just cranks now.

Any ideas where to start. Not throwing any codes.

Hi are you getting smoke out the tail pipe wile cranking. Check icp sensor for oil in plug if oil in plug replace but try cranking it with it unhooked see if it starts. Can you watch icp and ipr duty cycle wile cranking you need 500 psi on icp and duty cycle between 9-30 percent Check wiring to cam sensor. I would check fuel filter for oil in it as well if you find oil there you have bad injector o rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
No smoke while cranking, back in February during colder weather got a puff of white smoke right at engine start. Don't have forscan or torque pro. Not sure if readings from Edge CTS are accurate during crank, ICP and IPR are both showing zero during crank. Before it died yesterday, I remember IPR duty cycle was around 1000 and ICP was around 300psi. That was at a real rough idle right before dying. No throttle response yesterday when it died as well.

Can't try unplugging ICP till later on this afternoon.

#5 ·
Drained fuel bowl. No oil in the fuel. Replaced fuel filter as it’s been about 10k miles on the current one.

Turn key on but didn’t hear fuel system pressurize or pump fuel to the bowl.

Attachments

#10 ·
Turn key on but didn’t hear fuel system pressurize or pump fuel to the bowl.
Yea, let's not gloss over this!

No Fuel = No Start ;)

So you don't hear the pump run when you first roll on the key? You get a WTS light then?

If so, check the fuses and the Inertia sw that power the pump. Next, check for Power at the pump itself, see if you can "feel" it running immediately after turning the key to On.

If there's 12v at the pump and it doesn't run you may need a new one.

Is the tank at 1/4 or below? A bad pick up can cause you to run dry at that level.

#7 ·
Need to check fuse to fuel pump and then check wiring to fuel pump. Check the ipr on the hpop make sure the tin nut is still there and holding it on. I believe I edge is accurate but I have never had one on my truck I have been using scan gauge 2. If you can put the truck back to a stock tune and try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
No tunes on my truck, never got around to putting a tuner on it. The nut on the IPR is that the one on the outside of the IPR, the first one you would take off?

#9 ·
Be sure the fuel pump runs first -- you can hear it run, or get under the truck and get a hand on the pump -- only runs for about 20 seconds at key on

#12 ·
"Where is the Inertia switch?"

I am pretty sure it is in the RH kick panel area

Should be a fuse and relay to operate the fuel pump

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
Other half got home and I had them crank while I'm up on top. Squirting fuel from the fuel filter cap. Thought maybe I had the beveled o-ring on wrong, took it off, resat the o-ring, and tried again. Same thing.

Looked a bit closer and the o-ring is slightly larger than the cap. This is Motorcraft filter/o-rings. Pic included Went and picked up a Napa Gold 3818. Put it on and tried restarting. No leak from the cap. Bubbling noise coming from the fuel pump. Let the fuel pump cycle about 5 times till bubbling stopped.

https://imgur.com/0APixG0

Truck starts up. Drove it immediately to the gas station and filled it up. Took 18 gallons. Fuel gauge is showing half full.

Also, no have the following DTC's

P1280
P0603
P1212
P0470

Truck drove fine to fuel station and back. About a 1/4 mile there and 1/4 back. No surging. No Loping.

As far as the codes, I do have the ICP unpluged at the moment. I"m gonna go ahead and replace ICP and pigtail as was a bit oily when I unplugged it.

There were a couple drips of fuel after I was back from getting fuel. Dunno if there is still a leak, or if it is residual from the fuel filter cap not sealing.

#15 ·
Got home this morning. Slept a few hours. Went out and there and checked all the fuel pump fuses. They are good. Inertia switch isn't engaged. Had power at the fuel pump, and finally heard the fuel pump this time. Went and grabbed a fuel can and went got 5 gallons of diesel just to double check pick up hadn't broje off. Poured that into the truck and tried to start.

Still no start. However, as soon as I left off the key I heard "drip drip drip drip." Looked underneath and see diesel raining down from top of engine.

Couldn't get up top fast enough to see where exactly. I'm assuming fuel bowl orings. Will get significant other to crank while I'm up there this evening to pin point exactly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.