Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   99-03 7.3L General Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-general-discussion/)
-   -   Exhaust upgrade (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-general-discussion/1364659-exhaust-upgrade.html)

guitarnut 06-12-2019 05:24 AM

Exhaust upgrade

I am thinking about upgrading my exhaust. I just want a better sound. I don't want to wake up the neighborhood. My 2001 7.3 is all stock. I am 42 and not a hot rodder I just want to enjoy the diesel sound. The thing is so quiet compared to my former OBS.

My diesel shop says $600-800. If I were asking for some full custom hot rod exhaust then yeah but I was thinking that's a bit much. Couldn't they straight pipe it or would that be too loud? A updated muffler?

There are other diesel owners in my neighborhood and you can hear them all to well. I don't wanna be the guy waking up the neighborhood at 5am.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

joebuck 06-12-2019 05:38 AM

@[email protected] help this guy get what he needs! Corey can set you up with what you need just a buy a new exhaust system for half that price and install yourself not hard at all on these trucks.

CloverLeafFarm 06-12-2019 05:54 AM

adding a tbe system takes a few hours and patience.
4" system with a muffler/resonator would be just fine for your situation.
little deeper done but not loud enough to wake up neighbors

guitarnut 06-12-2019 06:03 AM

Joe buck,

I don't have the time nor ability to install an exhaust. I can afford to pay someone I'm just not sure I'll get 600-800 of enjoyment.

Corey - do you do business with Brians diesel in brooklet ga? That's where I would take it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Heavy_GD 06-12-2019 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarnut (Post 16294335)

Corey - do you do business with Brians diesel in brooklet ga? That's where I would take it.

If you buy he will fly it anywhere. I have him ship to my shops in Va all the time with no issue.

Best way to contact him is:

[email protected]

or: 419-980-5371

justinco 06-12-2019 07:36 AM

10 Attachment(s)
If it helps, I installed the MBRP 4" on my truck a while back. It sounds good, and even better when paired with an intake. Anyways, you could buy the exhaust like mentioned already and have it shipped to you. Probably a few hours labor to have your shop install it would be my guess. Here is the video I did with sounds towards the end.

https://youtu.be/IzkZUxBhtkE

78-79FordMan 06-12-2019 09:19 AM

49 Attachment(s)
Payed a shop a straight $100 bill to install 5" . For a kit I bought and took them . If your paying more for labor they ripping ya off . Took a hour or less even for
the guy dealing with other customers.

And 5" with no muffler is not very loud. If I was u I would just straight pipe the stock remove the muffler . The sound good with just that .

doubleslottedflaps 06-12-2019 09:42 AM

I have a MBRP 4" turbo back straight pipe no cat on my 02. Not really loud inside.

White_Buffalo7.3 06-12-2019 12:38 PM

I've had both 4" TB straight pipe and 4" TB with muffler. Cab noise is VERY similar but definitely a teeny tiny bit louder without muffler. Outside the cab is a different story, turbo whistle and 8 cylinders firing. I live kinda far from people so don't really worry about the muffler.

I'd buy a 4/5'' exhaust and see if you want to get a muffler/resonator afterwards. (I'd sell my Magna Flow muffler for the right price)

Widowson2 06-12-2019 02:13 PM

4"MBRP Turbo back no muffler is what I run. Not overly loud and get no drone while driving. It will turn head!