Hissing Sound ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-12-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hissing Sound ?

Let me start like I start all my post. I am new to the diesel world so I am sorry of this is a stupid question.
I have an 01 and when accelerating and holding the gas down under load ( like a hill pull or incline where I am accelerating) I get a hissing sound from under the hood. It’s pretty loud and can hear it over the radio if it’s on. It stops when I release gas pedal. My truck does have a cold air filter kit, not sure of the brand. Is this hissing normal and do these trucks have a blow off valve for the turbos and would that be what I am hearing. Also when the truck shift through gears normally I get the noise of hissing or released air when the truck switches up to the next gear.

I am definitely not complaining about the noise because it sounds kind of good like a blow off valve but weird that it makes the noise under heavy acceleration also. Just want to make sure what I am hearing is normal.

Truck has a hydra chip installed but it was on there when I got the truck.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
That's the turbo spooling.

2000 7.3 4x4 CC, short box, 205,000 miles.
PHP Hydra, Bilstein 5100's, Bilstein steering stabilizers, Auto Meter 3 gauge pod--EGT, Trans Temp & Boost, DieselSite 203*, Riffraff Billet wheel, 4" turbo back MBRP 5" straight pipe, Deep Trans Pan, Rotella ELC and T6 oil, Donaldson 6637, 20" Fuel wheels wrapped with 37" MT's
Security: Ravelco (for the pro's), Viper (for the rookies), The Club 1100 Steering Wheel Lock (visual deterrent).
post #3 of 15 Old 05-12-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Even after I let off the gas? Also if I accelerate and stay in the gas the swooshing sound will stay at a constant tone and loud.

Like I said after the truck shifts through the gears it sounds like air is being released as soon as it goes into the next gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-12-2019, 04:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
That is your wastegate opening. When you let off the gas pedal, the pressure your turbo has built up has to go somewhere, so the wastegate opens to allow it to dissipate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 15 Old 05-12-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Does the wastegate open while you have the accelerator down also. If I accelerate hard or have boost over 10 or so I hear the air swooshing sound the whole time I am accelerating.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-20-2019, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The wastegate is responsible for diverting exhaust pressure from the turbine housing on the turbo to the exhaust stream. At full boogie the wastegate could be partially opening which will keep the turbine drive pressure at a safe level. People have been known to adjust the wastegate rod tighter which will consequently require more exhaust pressure to open the wastegate and cause elevated boost levels.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-20-2019, 07:07 AM

Blackout

If your only making 10lbs of boost at WOT you have other issues to work through also.

[B]Mods[/B]

Hutch Mod, Harpoon Mod, Pre Pump Filter, HPX Crossover, Exhaust Trans Boost and Fuel Pressure Gauges, PHP Tuner, 5" Exhaust, 6637 Filter, 6.0 Trans Cooler, External Trans Filter, Stock Size Tires, Seat Covers, In Dash DVD, Onboard Battery Charger.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-20-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3_TurboDiesel View Post
That is your wastegate opening. When you let off the gas pedal, the pressure your turbo has built up has to go somewhere, so the wastegate opens to allow it to dissipate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What your referring to is a blow off valve which our trucks don't have from the factory.

[B]Mods[/B]

Hutch Mod, Harpoon Mod, Pre Pump Filter, HPX Crossover, Exhaust Trans Boost and Fuel Pressure Gauges, PHP Tuner, 5" Exhaust, 6637 Filter, 6.0 Trans Cooler, External Trans Filter, Stock Size Tires, Seat Covers, In Dash DVD, Onboard Battery Charger.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-20-2019, 08:25 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
I recently made some boost leak pressure detectors for my 6.0. There's a couple of videos, but I have a 6 gallon compressor with 1/4" air hose. I used:

-4" or 3" rubber pipe caps. They come with a worm clamp to tighten them tightly on the pipe. They're available at home depot and size depends on whatever pipe you're pressurizing.
-1/4" quick disconnect for the air hose. I inserted the male end through a hole I drilled in the rubber pipe cap.
- 2" fender washer with a half inch hole. I got two of these. One went on the the inside of the rubber cap, the other on the outside. This kept the Quick disconnect from blowing out.
- A 3/8 to 1/4 NPT Reducer. Went inside and acted as the washer to secure the quick disconnect on.

That took about $20 to make.

For the Gauge:
-I also bought a 1 foot long Male threaded, 1/4" air hose
-I screwed this into a 1/4" NPT Tee that had two male ends and a one female end.
-On one side, I had a 1/4" NPT air valve to turn on and off.
-I attached a 1/4" NPT Quick disconnect, one male and one female to two sides. (I needed a Female to FEmale 1/4" NPT attachment to attach the QD to the tee.
-I put a 1/4 NPT 0-30 PSI gauge on the female part of the TEE.

That cost about an additional $30 to make.

Boost leak detectors are available from around $75, and mine cost $50. The commercial one will hold more PSI, mine blows off on 5-10 PSI. I've put up to 45 PSI on the commercial one, but the commercial one usually blows a metal plug out around 10 to 15 PSI, which is quite dangerous. The metal plug is basically a 4" round plug inside a CAC boot. That's come within inches of my face when it blew out. I don't like that idea at all.
-

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-21-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickettoby1 View Post
What your referring to is a blow off valve which our trucks don't have from the factory.
But they have some type of waste gate factory installed?? Someway for the pressure to be expelled??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode