• 1 Post By Pmedic920

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fumoto drain Valve

I am looking at getting a Fumoto drain valve, should you put pipe thread tape on the threads or JB Weld it in the oil pan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroupdr View Post
I am looking at getting a Fumoto drain valve, should you put pipe thread tape on the threads or JB Weld it in the oil pan?

Neither. If I remember correctly, it had a fiber washer or something to that effect included on it to seal it. Mine works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 10:06 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1517 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroupdr View Post
No thread sealant or tape needed. I've had mine on four three years now. It does slow down the drain process but letting it warm up before hand and zero drops anywhere else but the drain pan made it worth the extra couple minutes. I got the one with the short nipple too. huge help.

Some have cautioned it could snag on something. If that thing gets snagged/ripped off you're already in huge trouble due to where its located in relation to the steering components, front axel and height etc. Benn through -20 in North Idaho and 115+ in CA and just love the mess free ability now.
TripleStix likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
No thread sealant or tape needed. I've had mine on four three years now. It does slow down the drain process but letting it warm up before hand and zero drops anywhere else but the drain pan made it worth the extra couple minutes. I got the one with the short nipple too. huge help.

Some have cautioned it could snag on something. If that thing gets snagged/ripped off you're already in huge trouble due to where its located in relation to the steering components, front axel and height etc. Benn through -20 in North Idaho and 115+ in CA and just love the mess free ability now.

+1 on the snag concern. I donít know which nipple you got, I think there was a shorter version available from the one I got, think mine is 1Ē. Regardless, if I did hit that, I too expect I would have bigger problems to address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 Old 04-20-2019, 07:15 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
I agree with the others, no sealant is needed, however, if you do elect to use it be sure not to use the white Teflon tape as its not rated for use with oil.
I just bought another 7.3 yesterday and am buying Fumoto to go on it. You'll thank yourself every time you crawl underneath it to change the oil.

2017 F350 CCSB King Ranch Ultimate 6.7
2002 F250 ECLB, XLT, 7.3 PSD, 4X4, Auto, TW 6pos. Tuner, 4" SS Exhaust, Britebox, EZ Down tailgate assist, Rear Air Bags, 6.0 trans cooler, Wicked Wheel 2, Corey's HPX, Dieselsite Water pump w/built-in filter, 203 degree thermostat, Max A/C assist, Oil drain valve, Non EBV pedestal & Flange, S.S. bellowed up pipes, Dieselsite Lifetime Rad. hoses & Intercooler hoses, New oil cooler
post #6 of 10 Old 07-24-2019, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Fumoto drain Valve

Im sure your way past needing any more info but I've got to get my post count up.

I use FV on my Jeep, mainly to control the mess (complete aftermarket skid system). I love the product. as others have said, don't use sealant, it shouldn't be needed.

I do, and highly recommend that you clean the original drain plug and toss it in your tool/glove box to always have available. in the event that something does happen to the valve, oil is easy to come by, drain plug may not be.

Edit: for pix.
On my Jeep, the value is somewhat vulnerable, so I slapped a piece of scrap over the access hole to protect it a bit more.

voodooridr likes this.

Last edited by Pmedic920; 07-28-2019 at 06:38 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-24-2019, 09:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
I took mine off and went back to regular drain plug. Always seemed like it wanted to slow leak oil. The lever never felt like it wanted to seat and lock in place, there was always a little play in the spring action when locked in place.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-24-2019, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Just screw it in nice and snug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181227_151433_1564009263197.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	721061  
post #9 of 10 Old 07-24-2019, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I've had mine on since between 2010-2012 and never had an issue. Mine is like the one Hansel posted but does not have the extra security by the valve lever, no nipple either. I will agree that it doesn't drain quite as fast but not a big deal to me. My truck is tall enough that i slide a 5gal bucket under it and slide the lever over....do other things while it's draining. I have no regrets in purchasing. I bought mine for the ease of draining and no mess.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-24-2019, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1129 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I like mine too. Snag issue is non-existent. If you have something hit the Fumoto, then that will mean that your front axle took a pretty hard hit.

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode