8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 03-31-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P1211 after new ICP

My ICP had oil in the plug so I changed it with a new motorcraft part. Went and did a couple of wide open runs and now getting a p1211 code. Does it take a little time to work the air out? First pull I was getting 3100psi 60%. Second pull it was 2800psi and 60%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-31-2019, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
While oil in the connector is a sign that the internal seals are starting to fail in the ICP, it doesn't mean the sensor is no longer doing it's job.

A 1211 can have Many causes, the ICP being one of the least of them coupled with that 60% IPR. It would be telling me you're starting to have trouble maintaining pressure under max load. Typically this means that either the HPOP isn't capable of making enough pressure (bad HPOP or it's running short of oil) OR the good pressure it IS making is being bled-off by either a bad IPR or injector O-rings that are starting to fail.

Figuring out this can be a challenge, you can take the IPR apart and try cleaning it, you can pull the valve covers and watch the discharge from each injector for excessive oil coming from one with a bad ring (these can both happen with more as the oil thins and rings soften as the engine Heats Up). Those are some Free tests, next you have to start to really dig in to the system...

from the "Dieslemans Site under Tech Info"

Loss of power, usually after a hard acceleration; Rough idle; Check engine light comes on, DTC P1211:
Intermittent high pressure oil leakage.
This condition usually occurs when the vehicle is cold and the oil is thick. When performing a hard acceleration, the truck suddenly looses power, the check engine light comes on, and once returning to idle the engine runs rough and won't accelerate. Cycling the key may correct the concern, clearing the code from the PCM will correct it temporarily. If you can monitor data stream, at idle the ICP pressure normally is 400-700 PSI and the IPR duty cycle is 9-14%; at cruise, ICP is 700-1200 pSI and IPR is 15-20%; under normal acceleration, ICP is 1200-2000 PSI and IPR is 20-30%; and under WOT accel, the ICP is up to 3600 PSI and the IPR is 35% or higher. When the above symptom occurs, typically the idle ICP reading will be normal, but the IPR duty cycle will be high--over 20% and up to the max 50%. A "blow-by" condition has occured somewhere in the HP oil circuit. If you can get the problem to re-occur with some frequency, the most probable cause is worn or deteriorated injector or IPR o-rings. If the problem is intermittent, it could be a sticking IPR valve. Replace the injector o-rings with the latest-level kits--F8TZ-9229-AA. When replacing the IPR, make sure you get the correct part for the build date/serial number of your engine.
post #3 of 29 Old 03-31-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, lots of good stuff. The weird thing is the truck seemed to run well before with no signs of a bad icp and no 1211 code. I only changed it as a preventative. Now truck has 180k on original ab injectors. Hpop was changed about 10k ago with a cnc stage 1 and a new motorcraft ipr. So I guess it possibly that injectors are worn or needs new o rings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 03-31-2019, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by early99psd View Post
Thanks for the info, lots of good stuff. The weird thing is the truck seemed to run well before with no signs of a bad icp and no 1211 code. I only changed it as a preventative. Now truck has 180k on original ab injectors. Hpop was changed about 10k ago with a cnc stage 1 and a new motorcraft ipr. So I guess it possibly that injectors are worn or needs new o rings.
THE CHEAPEST THING THAT YOU CAN DO.....IS TO CLEAR THE CODES.....PUT THE OLD SENSOR BACK IN THE TRUCK.....AND SEE IF THE PROBLEM GOES AWAY.....

IF IT DOES.....YOUR "NEW" SENSOR IS BAD.....

JUST A THOUGHT.....

Last edited by GETFURIOUS; 03-31-2019 at 05:24 PM.
post #5 of 29 Old 03-31-2019, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I recently swapped my ICP for the same reason. I also changed the pigtail with it. Oil seepage from the sensor can sometimes impact the wiring. Just a thought, the pigtails are cheap.
post #6 of 29 Old 03-31-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

So later today I drove the truck to dinner and no codes, but I also didnít do a super hard long wot like I did when it set the cel. If it does it again I will throw the old icp back in and see what happens. I also wondered when changing it today if I should have changed the pigtail. I did take some mass airflow cleaner and spray out the connector before plugging it back in.

post #7 of 29 Old 04-01-2019, 03:56 PM
Fire From the Clouds!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
I changed my ICP and pigtail recently too but I still get the soft code P1211 no matter how many times I clear it. No CEL though and no loss of power or rough idle. So I guess it is what it is.

2002 Ford F350-Lariat-CrewCab-LongBed-7.3L PowerStroke Intercooled Turbo Diesel!
2.5 PMF lift on 325/60r20 Nitto M/T's
Enough Stuff To Pull Yours!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 29 Old 04-01-2019, 04:21 PM

Coupla things, a 1211 is actually kinda normal with some tuning under heavy loads. Is your truck tuned?

Next that whole "ICP pigtail" thing has gotten totally out-of-hand (IMHO ). It is the IPR pigtail that often actually does need changing because of the extra heat those wires receive. Somehow the "oil in the ICP connector diganoses" got confused with the overheated IPR connector issue and people are changing it because of that Oil. THERE IS NO PROBLEM IN AN ELECTRICAL CONNECTION BECAUSE OF OIL (think of what's going on under your valve covers, all that Oil, all those Connectors)
7.3_TurboDiesel and Hydro like this.
post #9 of 29 Old 04-01-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Yes my truck is tuned. You can see all my mods in my sig. I know it can set a soft code, but I have not seen it set a cel before.

post #10 of 29 Old 04-02-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by early99psd View Post
Yes my truck is tuned. You can see all my mods in my sig.
It certainly IS! Right in front of me (I never pay any attention to that stuff for some reason....)

You have split-shot injectors, can you drive on a stock tune and see if your issue disappears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode