Changed cps and now rolling smoke and knocking noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 03-28-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changed cps and now rolling smoke and knocking noise

I have a 02 f 350 7.3 and the problem started out being the truck would just shut off while driving it and would start right back up ... changed the cps and drove a mile down the road and all of a sudden the truck started rolling smoke and knocking ... was told could be a bad injector or could even be that sensor... Also I noticed I got a few oil spots under the truck not so bad all the time but the last few days it was decent so I checked the engine oil level and that was right where it was supposed to be ... Any information on this would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-29-2019, 06:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The problem is,,, you don't have enough information

You just can't "guess" at the any one of a number issues you might have. It's a complicated system that really requires the ability to read codes and monitor sensors if you want to efficiently narrow down the possibilities.

If you're gonna keep & maintain the truck yourself I strongly suggest you get access to the special scanner software you need to do it.

Here you have a couple of the most common choices;

1) If you want to do Everything you'll ever need to, then look at the AutoEnginuity + the Ford Enhanced Package (@ $350 - you add an old computer of some sort to run it with)

2) To retrieve most of the codes you'll need to help and even do some testing look at the FORscan Lite (you add an Android device and Blue Tooth Adapter for @ $30) OR the Windoze version with a USB adapter. I like this one for BT Android -> http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-...dp/B005NLQAHS/

Just a few years ago you needed to buy a professional scan tool because our trucks need to have a scanner with a Library containing both the Ford Proprietary AND the Diesel Specific codes in it. Add to that, our trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II so the Generic scanners the Auto Parts Stores have are of little use to us. But today there are some very good App based tools, that are close to what the pro tools do, for fraction of the cost.

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-...sis-cheap.html
post #3 of 25 Old 03-29-2019, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
You will need the BFX scan tool if you don't already.
Measure ICP and IPR % at wide open throttle. Next, try buzz testing the truck cold. if you have a weak injector it should show it self. Next could be low fuel pressure or a form of blockage in the tank. the list can go on if you don't have the proper tools

In all reality having a true scan tool, AutoEnginuity, or forscan is the most help full tool when diagnosing anything. I'm sure Ralph has told me at least 10 times that i need 1 of those 3....

the shot in the dark answer is just replacing the CPS with a FORD one and seeing what happens

180/30s,KC38R, CNC Fab Stg 2 HPOP, Sump, Walbro, Donaldson 6637, Leveled, 4'' straight to 7'' tip, 08 mirrors, 6.0 front end ect...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 03-29-2019, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
Do you have a check engine light?

180/30s,KC38R, CNC Fab Stg 2 HPOP, Sump, Walbro, Donaldson 6637, Leveled, 4'' straight to 7'' tip, 08 mirrors, 6.0 front end ect...
post #5 of 25 Old 03-29-2019, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would suggest a OEM CPS or a genuine International CPS sensor to start with. The CPS sensor you purchase at an auto parts store are not gaped correctly and they will cause of issue.

Early 1999 Ford F250 EC XLT.

Mods: 6637 air intake, 33 inch fierce M/T, straight pipe exhaust (side exit), Glowshift gauges, pedestal Delete, 17 degree HPOP, CNCfab SS braided oil lines. Dfuzer MAP sensor Maximizer. Riffraff fuel pressure spring, Riffraff fuel bolts, Rancho 5000x shock all 4 corners, Rancho 5000x dual steering stabilizer, dieselsite trans bypass tube delete, TS 6 position burned by Riffraff Diesel.
post #6 of 25 Old 03-29-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There is a check engine light on that was on before this happened the guy I got the truck from said he has the map sensor unplugged so it’s not doggy when it’s cold or some nonsense... he also replaced injectors 1 and 8 a few months back.but I have yet to figure out where the oil spots are coming from cuz it’s been raining and **** weather ...
post #7 of 25 Old 04-01-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The day before I changed the sensor I was on my way home from the parts store and it seemed to loose power out of nowhere so I pulled over shut it down for a min turned it back on all was fine
post #8 of 25 Old 04-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Fire From the Clouds!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Was the CPS you put in a light color grey? (Local parts stores will only carry this kind too)

You should only use the dark grey with purple o-ring or the all black CPS. The other is known to grenade trucks.

2002 Ford F350-Lariat-CrewCab-LongBed-7.3L PowerStroke Intercooled Turbo Diesel!
2.5 PMF lift on 325/60r20 Nitto M/T's
Enough Stuff To Pull Yours!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 25 Old 04-01-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Pretty sure it was the light one that autozone sold me where can I find a dark one or a black one ?
post #10 of 25 Old 04-02-2019, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Changed cps and now rolling smoke and knocking noise

There is a debate on what cps is best, the black one is the original one that is prone to failure, but supposedly works better than the light gray updated one when it is working correctly. The newest one is the dark gray/purple one, which I’ve never even seen in real life. I have the light gray one in my truck

As long as you have a motorcraft sensor, I wouldn’t worry about it no matter the color

Last edited by 7.3_TurboDiesel; 04-02-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode