Stupid and thought twice about it - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-25-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stupid and thought twice about it

So I just thought I would try some therapy and post this to try and make myself feel better. First turbo job BTW. Did a turbo rebuild and had some difficulty getting the up pipe clamp off. Well I used a pry bar on the turbo and I think I bent the up pipes flange. Upon reinstall, instead of loosening the up pipes, I fastened the turbo to the up pipes first then "attempted" to fasten the turbo to the pedestal...very bad idea. The bolts were very difficult to get onto the pedestal but I kept on going. My only fear was this happening, oil everywhere. Probably half to a full gallon. Literally shot one of the o'rings out. I'm typing this and wondering if I should hit the button to post it.......embarrassing! Now I'm wondering if I should buy a new pedestal. I'll be taking it all back out and see how the bolts thread back on. Stupid and lazy decision to not loosen the up pipes. My wife is out of town on work, I'm without my truck and have another day out of work to make it right. I'll be borrowing one of my teenagers cars (which I pay for) in the meantime I guess. Don't be too hard on me. LOL
Jared

2000 7.3 4x4 CC, 210,000 miles.
Security: Ravelco (for the pro's), Viper (for the rookies), The Club 1100 Steering Wheel Lock (visual deterrent).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-25-2019, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Yikes! Unfortunately we learn the hard way sometimes. My turbo job took me a few days. Working 2 hrs roughly a night. You’ll get it!!

Just do the check on it and see if it got damaged at the seats.

Best of luck!!

to conquer without risk is to triumph without glory.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-25-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Will do. Thanks Vohs!!!

Security: Ravelco (for the pro's), Viper (for the rookies), The Club 1100 Steering Wheel Lock (visual deterrent).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-27-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

3/25: What I did learn in this process (by the way have owned this truck for only a year after my last 7.3 was stolen) is that it has an EBPV delete and bellowed up pipes. Looking at the positives here as you can see. Hoping to get it going by the weekend. I'll report back with the results.

3/27: Had to order a new pedestal. Noticed the one I took out had a bolt in the armature hole (I think that's what it's called) plugging it. Any chance the new blank pedestal will make a difference in any way?
JARED

Vohs, I voted for you man a while back. Nice looking truck!

post #5 of 6 Old 03-29-2019, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'm having trouble picturing what exactly the problem here, but it sounds like the bolts were cross threading into the pedestal? I can't remember what exactly threads into what but the pedestal is aluminum so relatively easy to cross thread. Replacing it would solve that issue as long as the holes in the block weren't damaged. Sounds like it wasn't seated fully so if the threads are fine you should be able to just replace the orings. Be very careful place the turbo back on to not damage the orings.

Sounds like someone "deleted" the pedestal before you bought it. That is pretty common and no cause for replacement in itself. It's 80% of the way to a truly blank pedestal (and probably 99% as effective).

If you happen to want a stock EBPV pedestal, I have one cheap that's fully functional and not leaking. Came off my buddy's truck since he deleted it and it has been sitting in my garage since.

2000 ECLB 4x4 7.3L PSD - Converted from a beat up XL farm truck and frame off restored thanks to New England road salt
Cosmetic: 05 Harley front end, 11 tailgate, black sport full power interior, 05 dash with aux switches and brake controller
Performance: AFE intake, SPX billet compressor wheel, Turbomaster wastegate, blank pedestal & exhaust housing, MBRP 5" exhaust, PHP Hydra, gauges and CTS2
Audio: Sony XAV-AX5000, JBL Club speakers, fully sound deadened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
I'm having trouble picturing what exactly the problem here, but it sounds like the bolts were cross threading into the pedestal? I can't remember what exactly threads into what but the pedestal is aluminum so relatively easy to cross thread. Replacing it would solve that issue as long as the holes in the block weren't damaged. Sounds like it wasn't seated fully so if the threads are fine you should be able to just replace the orings. Be very careful place the turbo back on to not damage the orings.

Sounds like someone "deleted" the pedestal before you bought it. That is pretty common and no cause for replacement in itself. It's 80% of the way to a truly blank pedestal (and probably 99% as effective).

If you happen to want a stock EBPV pedestal, I have one cheap that's fully functional and not leaking. Came off my buddy's truck since he deleted it and it has been sitting in my garage since.
Got it all back together couple days ago and everything went great. The up-pipes weren't bent and the turbo and new pedestal went on relatively easy. The up-pipe pin alignment is truly a PITA. Oh what fun it is! I could do this job in my sleep now though.
The pedestal was cross threaded. Put a new non-EBPV pedestal in. Thanks for all the advice.

Jared

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode