speedometer calibration, and CA legal programmer/chip? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-09-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
speedometer calibration, and CA legal programmer/chip?

My 2000 is basically stock except for a home-made intake tube with a big air filter, and 4" exhaust with no catalytic converter and not much of a muffler. It is a CA factory non-catalyst vehicle. I'm putting 315 tires and I'd like to have the speedometer read closer to correct.

I also wouldn't mind having more power as well, but I'm not looking to race this thing or blow smoke everywhere, or tow huge loads.

The CA legal products that I see are the somewhat generic tunes from what I gather, like superchips, diablo, banks, edge, and so on. I realize these aren't going to be as good as an actual custom tune. I'd be fine with that, if they at least noticably wake the truck up a bit.

For someone who wants to comply with the local laws, are these at all noticeably better than stock?

I have a manual 6 speed transmission, if that makes any difference.

Last edited by error404; 03-09-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-09-2019, 10:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Of the ones mentioned Edge would probably be the best option. Also I would't worry about it being legal in CA because all you have to do is program it back to stock for testing.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-09-2019, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Garage
I have an '01 F350 (see sig below) I live in CA. Pretty much the same set up as you - K&N cone intake, 4" turbo-back exhaust (factory non-catalyst) with a "pass-through' muffler.

I have an older Hypertech Power Programmer III (41040). It has three "canned" tunes, ability to adjust for tire size & reads/clears DTCs. (Different year models had different PNs) I actually have a letter from Hypertech saying it's CARB-compliant.

The different tunes to make a difference over stock. Like you, I wasn't looking to turn a 4 1/2 ton truck into a hot rod, these wake it up pretty well. When I went up to 285/75R16s, I was able to adjust the tire size to correct the speedo. I even compared it to GPS to see it was right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 CCLB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5th Wheel |

Proud Veteran | US Navy - '76-'80 - Petty Officer 2nd Class (E5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-09-2019, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
The ford dealer can reprogram the speedo. Get a hydrachip and pull it out on smog inspection day. the 4" exhaust is not an issue. I have a cali approved AFE intake. I live in cali and have 3 trucks.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-09-2019, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
Yep. AFe intake, 4 cat back and a hydra. No issues smogging just put it on stock tune. All good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2002 F350, 7.3l, CCLB, WW2, HPOP crossover, Coolant bypass filter, ATF inline filter, 4" exhaust, afe intake with AIS, 4" lift, 35's, Hellwig Big Wig F/R, Rancho900XLs, Firestone bags, PHP Hydra.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-09-2019, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
You can change the revs per mile with Forscan nearly for free. Need Forescan, a wireless obd connector ($20) and need to get the temporary license from the forum.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-10-2019, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gs View Post
You can change the revs per mile with Forscan nearly for free. Need Forescan, a wireless obd connector ($20) and need to get the temporary license from the forum.
Yup, here is a good how to: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...er-change.html
post #8 of 10 Old 03-11-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies fellas :-)

Yes, it does pass smog with zero issues with the intake and exhaust. I'd like to keep it that way :-)
post #9 of 10 Old 03-11-2019, 07:38 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by error404 View Post
My 2000 is basically stock except for a home-made intake tube with a big air filter, and 4" exhaust with no catalytic converter and not much of a muffler. It is a CA factory non-catalyst vehicle. I'm putting 315 tires and I'd like to have the speedometer read closer to correct.

I also wouldn't mind having more power as well, but I'm not looking to race this thing or blow smoke everywhere, or tow huge loads.

The CA legal products that I see are the somewhat generic tunes from what I gather, like superchips, diablo, banks, edge, and so on. I realize these aren't going to be as good as an actual custom tune. I'd be fine with that, if they at least noticably wake the truck up a bit.

For someone who wants to comply with the local laws, are these at all noticeably better than stock?

I have a manual 6 speed transmission, if that makes any difference.

WElcome to the org!

You having the 6 speed opens up tuning a lot. the majority of the BIG issues with Edge, banks, superchips etc was the shifting with autos. That and a little less power then tunes from say a custom chip etc...

Since you only have to smog every other year. You could easily get by with a hydra chip. It plugs into your ecm directly vs the flash programmer that plug into your OBDII port. Me personally I would try to find an older edger evo model 15000 (looks like a gamboy old school) or get a php hydra chip from one of the vendors like @[email protected]

I recommend the old edge evo1 because the programmer for that chip was Bill from powerhungry performance who designed the hydra chip which is the gold standard for 7.3l owners but since you control shifting with the 6spd you may save some coin with the edge flash programmer etc.

CA smog is not hard on the 7.3L at all. If you are a man of principle/conscious edge and superchips have C.A.R.B. approved programmers but the hydra or an old edge evo will more than bring a smile to your face.

ALso I second the forscan method for adjusting the speedo/odometer.

download forscan on a pc laptop spend $20 on a obd2 to usb adapter cable and make an account on the forscan.org forum to request the temporary extended license and follow the link cooper put to adjust. Did mine month or so ago and many others before me.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

Justin
post #10 of 10 Old 03-14-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

I picked up an Edge EvoHT2, plenty easy enough to change the tire size, and I'm happy with the engine tuning. I do notice a slight haze out the exhaust when I romp on it in 4th-6th gear. I'm not thrilled about that, but it's rare that I go full throttle, so I'm ok with it. Normal driving is very nice, and the larger tires actually seem to make the gear ratios in the transmission feel more natural. Still don't ever use 1st gear on the street, but even 3rd gear remains ok to start out on a flat stop, just have to give it a slight bit of throttle.

My first problem with the new tires/wheels is that the wheel weights fell off. All of them. Every. Single. One... before I even bolted the wheels onto the axles. I grabbed the wheels/tires out of the bed of the truck to bolt them on, and found 5 strips of weights just laying in the bed. WTF? hah! I'm guessing the monkeys didn't wipe off and clean the inner wheel before they stuck the weights on. I've had stick-on weights on many vehicles that never fell off before, even my rock crawler jeep never lost wheel weights... :-\
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190313_204804.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	716143  

Last edited by error404; 03-14-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode