Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   99-03 7.3L General Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-general-discussion/)
-   -   Need a Rear Locker....opinions please (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-general-discussion/1359783-need-rear-locker-opinions-please.html)

SC-Surfer 03-07-2019 10:23 AM

Need a Rear Locker....opinions please

Hi all,

Given how we use our truck I need to add a rear locker. Looking for feedback on what guys like. Electric vs air, brands that have proven to be reliable and reasonably priced.

ThANKS

* * * EDIT: I'm NOT interested in a LSD. Just a full locker. * * *

NoRalPh 03-07-2019 10:53 AM

I went Electric (Eaton) because I felt like when I need it, I'm gonna need it, and didn't want to add the complexity of an Air System that HAD to be working (I have horns, so I have Air, but I've learned to accept that it isn't working 100% of the time). I always will have 12v, plus I added this to the Ft Axle only (I feel like my LS works well enough in the rear).

I think if I were an real off-roader maybe there might be an advantage to the way an air locker engages so quickly. I think the air guys think that it's a stronger system, I'm not sure that's true (you watch Street OutLaws? Last week Ryan Martin blew his RE and they showed him holding his carrier, it was clearly an Electric locker ;) )

SOOTIE 03-07-2019 02:09 PM

Trutrac all day long

SC-Surfer 03-07-2019 06:37 PM

Not looking for an LSD. I believe the TruTrac is. Thanks though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Evil Twin 03-08-2019 04:24 AM

Technically, the TT is a torque bias device not a LSD. It sends more torque to the slower moving wheel as opposed to limiting spin like a LSD.
Anyway, if you want a simple "lock both shafts together" locker then electric would be my go-to. Air, while in principal works the same as it moves a gear into place, has multiple points of failure that can't be fixed in the middle of Timbucktoo. Unless you keep a compressor, pneumatic line, regulator and a tank or welder to fix a split tank. If your truck is running then you have 14v to feed an E locker. All you need is wire as a spare.
Than is just my $0.03

Wood's Powerstroke 03-08-2019 05:02 AM

@The Evil Twin . Good call. :agree:

SC-Surfer 03-08-2019 07:05 AM

No doubt that all other things being equal, an electrical one is far simpler. Great point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

00t444e 03-08-2019 08:27 AM

Detroit locker FTW, I love mine, all mechanical, no air lines, cables or wires to worry about.