Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Why the hell would anyone get a new truck?

38K views 247 replies 64 participants last post by  SixStringMadness 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got to talking with a buddy tonight about buying new cars. He's wonder struck with the idea of buying the next GT500, even though he has a wife and 3 kids, and a practically new IMO 2016 Mustang GT. I don't get caught up in new cars with the awestruck desire he seems to. I started thinking what I'd even be interested in were I to consider going to anything new. Started thinking about trucks... Lost 2-3 hours to it, lol!

So, I just spent about 2-3 hours looking at newer truck wondering in sheer amazement how people pay what they do for a product that has only gone downhill since the last 7.3 rolled off the line in MY'03. You know, I've thought that if I ever do wear this thing out, as hard pressed as that would be and just had to go for something new, what would I go for? I spent time reading about reliability comparisons with the 7.3 and the 6.7. Dealing with DEF, failing turbos up through '14, people unable to get to anything on the motor without lifting the cab off the frame, etc... What is it with people? When did a truck stop being a truck? In all these comparison threads with older trucks, people just go on and on about creature comforts and power. Just for the point of this post, I priced what it would take to get a modern replacement for my F250. A new F250 with the 6.7 and all of the things I have on my truck from the factory would MSRP at $54k. By the way, if I really went to a new truck, I'm sorry to say that I know I'd end up with the 6.2 Gasser, instead. Funny thing is, I'm not convinced I'd get more mileage out of a new 6.2 than I still will out of my 180k mile 7.3!

What would I want? Reliability, Economy (low operating costs), Value. Creature comforts? Sure if they're free. I feel pretty comfy with cash in my bank account. ha! Power? I've never felt like I was worried about going up the next hill pulling GCWR of 20k lbs, but sure I'll take it if it doesn't ruin my fuel economy/reliability.

The more I got into it, the more absolutely thrilled I am that I have a total of ~$10k into mine, and would drive across the country in it (again) at the drop of a hat.

Question for you: If you had to take a brand new truck at current market value with all bells and whistles OR instead you could get a "brand new" 7.3 just as though it rolled off the factory line at their price adjusted for inflation, which would you go for? Are new trucks really better as trucks?

See less See more
#2 ·
It’s the same reason why people drop in a 15k 7.3 motor. It’s the L nut. We guys are simple and turds at the same time. If you have money sure wth not.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

#3 ·
Well...you don't see "help, my truck won't start in the cold" or "having hard cold start issues" in the 6.7 sections do you? So, IMO that's one of the good benefits of having a newer truck.

#17 ·
Ya because all we see with the 6.7L are help dealer wants 15k to replace the engine, 10k for the fuel system, 5k+ for thedpf system....

We'll see how the 6.7l is doing 20 years from now.... Not bashing the 6.7l but replacing glow plugs and a relay on a 20 year old truck is going to be way easier then all the electronic creature comforts on any 6.7L 20 years from now. Plus the 6.7L has changed 5 times already while the 7.3l changed two times. pre turbo then turbo-ed with minor changed to the injector, turbo, and HPOP.

#4 ·
Can’t speak for others, but I’m more than happy with my 7.3. No need for a $600-700/mo payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#96 · (Edited)
Most that complain about price must not know what their 7.3 cost new....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'm still very pleased with my 17 year old truck with 228,000 miles. I've had it since new and taken impeccable care of it. I plan to drive it for many more miles/years. I can say not having a payment for well over 12 years has been very nice.
It has needed a new transmission (Ford 4R100 Reman) at 185,000 miles/7 years ago and one UVCH and IDM about 8 years ago.

Since I bought it new, I know how much it was then, and then, it was a lot of dough. Sticker was $41,215. Adjusted for inflation, that would be $58,476. I just configured a new truck as close as I could on ford.com. $64,230. The new trucks comes with stuff that I could not have gotten then that probably commands that 10% premium.

I'm not going to kid anyone. If my truck were to vanish today and I had to replace it, I would go for the newer. They are just nicer. Better ride. More amenities. Higher towing capacities. I also would not go for the one I just configured. I'd end up spending more. More to get things that I could not get back then. Sunroof. Remote Start. Cooled Seats. Back up camera. Tow tech pack. BLIS. LEDheadlamps.

The truck I'd get today with available options would sticker $73,610 (or $53,792 in 2001 money). A big jump in price from my 2001, but a big jump in truck too.

With the 6.7 trucks, I would jump to it if my truck was gone. I wouldn't have felt the same if asked in the era of 6.0 or 6.4 PSD trucks. Just not enough change in those trucks and I never felt reliability was there (good hunch).

#5 ·
Question for you: If you had to take a brand new truck at current market value with all bells and whistles OR instead you could get a "brand new" 7.3 just as though it rolled off the factory line at their price adjusted for inflation, which would you go for? Are new trucks really better as trucks?
Yes, the new trucks are better in almost every way. There's quantitative data to back this up (payload, power, maintenance intervals, etc..)

The only exceptions would be emissions controls and everything being complex and crammed in there because it has to work with emissions controls. And don't forget about bean counters relentlessly cheapening parts and adding plastic junk everywhere to save a few fractions of a cent while every year price goes up for us consumers. That's true with everything, not just Ford diesels.

I have a brand new 2019 6.7 but if I could get a brand new 7.3, I would choose it.

Emissions controls and all their unnecessary components and potential issues they can cause is enough for me to do without all the latest "creature comforts." I would also be sacrificing power, payload, overall performance, etc..but it would be nice to have the ability to make that choice.

#32 ·
my 2002 has all the leg room I need. The seat has the same comfort and support as all the chairs and sofa in my house. It has cruise control , Sony stereo CD with sirius , cassette player and sony speakers that sound great. It rides like a cadilac. Its handling on tight curvy roads is mind blowing seeing how I roadrace a 65 mustang. The 7.3 pulls my 10,000+ pound trailers through the mountains with ease. It has a hydrachip for jackrabbit type driving. what more do I need ? Nothing ! And best of all its paid for.

#8 ·
I'm very happy with my truck. Its reliable and "fast" plus its cheap. It gets me from a to b and i never have to worry about. But, a new 6.7 will to, while massaging your back in cooled seats. If you can afford it, go buy it, if not, don't. Pretty simple.

Also pretty easy to look like you can afford even if you have a 535 fico score. get that 17.95% 84 month loan and bam, you can ball in your platinum.

To each man his own but just know what you are doing.

#9 ·
modern convenience of the newer trucks (any brand gas or diesel) is leaps and bounds ahead of any brand made 20 years ago. but that comes with technology advancements.

just like comparing a 7.3 powerstroke to a 7.3/6.9 idi.

I sold my e99 few years back to get into a 07.5 ram, I don't reget the upgrade 1 bit. I'm still a 7.3 fan, we've got 2 on the farm that will slowly get the job done. But i'll gladly take a newer gas truck with 200K miles than a 7.3 with 100K miles

#10 ·
Capitalism is the only legitimate form of government but it is used and abused in this country. I sell campers like I've said before. Sadly, you can get a loan for 18% fro 12 years on a $20,000 camper with a 550 credit score. You missed your last 3 months of car payments but lets go look at a camper. Its extremely easy to look the part in the US because all it requires is a tiny little piece of plastic with 16 digits.

I don't believe in any other way but i do believe that another collapse is coming because no one in this country saves their money.

Rant over

#11 ·
Economy (low operating costs), Value.
Both my 14 and now my 19 6.7 get better mileage than my 7.3

Diesel fuel is the same price no matter what you burn it in

DEF isn't a big deal

Maintenance intervals on a new 6.7 are more extended than any 7.3, for example (7.3 vs 6.7) 5k vs 10k oil, 15k vs 22.5k fuel filters, 30k vs 150k trans, and so on

The cost of operation of these new trucks is exaggerated by most I believe

New always has more value than old, even though 7.3s bring artificially high prices

Well...you don't see "help, my truck won't start in the cold" or "having hard cold start issues" in the 6.7 sections do you? So, IMO that's one of the good benefits of having a newer truck.
Never ever had an issue with my 7.3 starting in the coldest temps we have here in PA

My 6.7s start every time too

Can’t speak for others, but I’m more than happy with my 7.3. No need for a $600-700/mo payment.
Most that complain about price must not know what their 7.3 cost new....
Price adjusted, I'm sure you'd be paying that much per month, if not more, for a brand new loaded 7.3

Brand new vs brand new, the better truck is obvious

Personal choice: I'd still chose 7.3 b/c of emissions :taze:

I like this thread, the more you think about it, the more you over think it.

#12 ·
Never ever had an issue with my 7.3 starting in the coldest temps we have here in PA

My 6.7s start every time too
Cool, so you're the 20% with a good functioning 7.3 And I said "you don't see," I didn't say "all 7.3's are terrible to start in the cold." As stated, I said it was ONE of the good benefits of a newer diesel. It's funny too, that other 2011 trade in or keep thread you tell the guy to trade it in for a brand new truck? But here, you'll take a 7.3 over a new truck. Which one is it then.

#15 ·
Well, if I wasn't trying to retire by 60 I would probably buy a new truck. Granted, I have a 6.0 vs a 7.3, but the fact is it would cost me 50K with a trade in to get a new CCLB Lariat to replace the one I have now. Truth is I think I would be money ahead putting half that into my truck and driving it for the rest of its (my?) life. I would rather have a new truck, but then I would have to work for a couple more years.

#16 ·
I think a lot would for the shear fact of no emissions. If we didn't live in EPAmerica and the 6.7's weren't bastardized with that stuff, I don't think you would see one person missing their 7.3. And obviously, I would buy a new truck if it was in the cards because I like the new interiors.

#19 ·
You 7.3 guys are way too sensitive. There have been plenty of high mileage 6.7's with oil/fuel filters, tires and brakes done that have gone well over 650k all the way to almost 900k mileage wise. Where are all the 7.3's that have done that with the same stuff done without anything else major? And I'm not knocking the 7.3, I simply said a good benefit for a lot of people is cold weather starting. I know tons of people who have ditched diesels because of how much grief their trucks gave them (7.3s and 6.0s) when the cold weather hit and went to gas.

Reactions: MrTommy
#136 ·
You 7.3 guys are way too sensitive.

Pretty much sums this thread up.

Obviously not all, but easy to spot the sensitive ones.

I was one of them guys, "7.3 is the only good motor ever made and you're crazy if you say otherwise"

It's called having a narrow mind.

Seems like alot of it is spite that stems from not being able to afford buying a new truck.

On the contrary You notice the older more mature 7.3 guys , they're happy with their truck yet acknowledge the new trucks are very nice and reliable and wouldn't hesitate to replace theirs if they had to. They could easily afford the new rig but choose not to. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Just a clear difference in the way each respond.

Bottom line: if a guy can afford to drive a new truck and wants to, let him do it without trying to virtue signal as if you're wiser for driving a 7.3

Stock vs stock , tuned vs tuned , or modded vs modded the 6.7 hands down no comparison. Hook your load up to a 6.7 especially a 17+ and tell me I'm crazy.

And yes I've had a 7.3 that I took from stock to 650hp, still have 6.0 that went from stock to about 1k hp and a 6.7 that I took from stock to 700 hp.

The 6.7 is so solid, stout and smooth that it feels like it's not making as much power as it is. Go underneath a new truck and look at how beefy everything is compared to even the early 6.7s. There's no doubt your getting an incredibly strong machine. If any thing , it's way more of a truck in that regard. (Not to mention twice The power) The frame alone is 24 times stronger then the pre 17 trucks, that's pretty serious. Makes 6.0/7.3 look like a 1/2 ton underneath.

7.3 is a great motor an is by no means a junker , but I've learned in life to release the lesser things to embrace and receive the better things.

#20 ·
For me, I think it's about what it is you're looking for In a truck.

My F350 7.3 is a truck-truck (crank-up windows, vinyl bench seat) and just what I need a truck For. If I wanted a car-truck with all those luxury appointments and ride (don't need that, I drive a really nice car) I would want a much newer truck for all that, despite what it costs to buy and maintain.

Trucks & SUVs have become so popular that all these new drivers want a different truck than I do. I really like improving and maintaining my old truck, I'm not sure I would be with a new one. This is the last truck I'll own I think (and with 36K on it, I think I can do it!) :wink[3]:

btw, I have NO Trouble starting in the Cold

#22 ·
I sold our 97 for a new 2012 6.7 for the comfort and modern features.

My son is getting his license soon and we don't want an extra vehicle in street or driveway. We sold our 97, which we loved, hauled our camper & pulled our jet boat just fine. This would have become my daily driver and 10 mpg hwy/city wasn't happening. Plus it rode like a truck. I'm 49. I'm at the age I want a smoother ride and modern features. I didn't see the return of putting more money in our 97, so I looked around for a later built 2012.

By the way our 97 held its value very well. We had it for 9-10 years. Bought it for $9500 and sold it for $9k in Sept.

#23 ·
A 7.3 that is working right will have no problem starting in the cold, same goes for a 6.7. A 20 year old 6.7 with worn out injectors, injection pump, and a glow plug system that's not working would have the same cold start problems that a 7.3 does with the same issues.

Reactions: ars5147
#25 ·
Idk I have a 2011 Tundra with all the bells and whistles and the only damned thing I use btwn it and the 7.3 are air condition and radio. Seat warmers, navigation, etc are all ignored. Even if I had a 2016, I’d honestly use just the very same features. If I had money I would too but I’d buy a broken pos 2011 and upgrade the 7.3 a-z b4 dropping 40-80k on a new one.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

#26 ·
farmers and companies who used trucks as trucks used to be the only ones who would own/operate the loud and rough riding diesel trucks.

now, more people own them as a "status/image" thing and the consumers demand the trucks to be more comfortable with fancier bells and whistles.

many people use trucks (all brands/sizes) as a daily that could get by with a smaller and more efficient vehicle, (me included) but personal preference dictates otherwise.
I like my 11 year old truck though, even though its purpose isn't for work

This post has been deleted
#30 ·
That's very similar compared to here in PA. Registration on my 7.3 and 6.7 is the same. We can register at different weight classes even though the door sticker says one thing.

I've got around $1600 in full coverage for two trucks, with $20,000 in extra value insured on the 7.3. And less that $400 in year registration on two trucks.

CA sounds more horrible every day.

What about the OPs original question of hypothetical "brand new" 7.3 vs a brand new 6.7? You'd pay all that extra BS too right?

#33 ·
I sold my paid for 01 to buy my 12 and I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again, YES I wanted more creature comforts, YES I wanted more power for towing, yes I know have a payment but I bought used and researched the hell out of it before buying. Also the maintenance cost between the 2 isn’t that much different they both take the same amazing of oil and both take almost the same size filter and I ran(run) Motorcraft, also there is 2 fuel filters but they come packaged as one and I still change my fuel filter every other oil chnage(5K intervals) just like I did on my 01 so not much of a difference. Yes there is things that can go wrong with a price tag that huge but I tell you what a built trans. In the 7.3 isn’t cheap either, and the nickel and dining that it DOES start to do adds up as well. And I don’t care who you are if you say there is way more room on the 7.3 to work on it than the 6.7 that’s a lie, yes there’s some room compared to the 6.7 but if your gonna tell me it’s not hard to swap a 7.3 turbo then that’s BS I swapped mine multiple times and it was always a pain in the ***, either 6.7 or 7.3 your lying on your stomach on top of the motor trying to pry that pig out there’s just a few more things to remove out of the way on a 6.7. Don’t get me wrong I liked my 7.3 and it did me well BUT the 6.7 is no slouch and I bet it surpasses the 7.3 in longevity and the amounts sold, just my .02

Reactions: White_Buffalo7.3
#34 ·
Well to add to the people that think the 6.7 isn't as reliable. Check out my threads on high mileage 6.7s. I recently got to check in with the 675,000 mile guy and he past 725,000. He was about 732,XXX if i remember correctly. Any way,

I'm still on the 6.7 team
in spirit, not in body

#36 ·
I'm happy with my truck. For me, that's key. I have no payments, it has been very reliable for me. Sure, it's had some issues, but what vehicle doesn't. I do most my own work which saves money. If I were having enough issues to make me question its reliability, I'd start searching for something newer, but would still be used. $$ has a lot to do with it. I'm semi-retired-ish. As nice as the new ones are, I can't see spending that kind of $$ on one. Unless I hit the lottery that I don't play -OR- the Mrs has a stash I'm unaware of, a new one won't be in my driveway.

#38 ·
Simple for me I just got a brand new one last week you ask why because I CAN. Not to mention I have spent more in repairs last year, than a 1K payment will cost me for the next year.
And will be paid for in 3 years max

Oh and I wanted a Ball Massager Seat Real Bad :haha::haha:LOL

Reactions: joebuck
#46 ·
LOL, the interior and ride quality of our 91 F350 IDI

I've owned at least one of each diesel from the 6.9 IDI through the 6.4, each was better then the previous. The exception was maybe the dependability of the 6.4, though ride and creature comforts improved. The one constant was the more emission crap they installed, the more dependability suffered. I suppose since I've owned em all, I'll have to get a 6.7 someday. If they ever drill my oil well maybe I'll get rid of the 7.3 and 6.0 and just have one truck. It'll have to be an F350 and prolly a dually because I pull some heavy loads on the farm.

Also beauty is in the eye of the beholder but personally I think the 05-07 is the best looking truck Ford has ever made.

#43 ·
Any time a 7.3 pulls up next to me, I smile... Same as a 6.0, I love the sound. But, as with any of us who have moved on... We made the choice to buy newer. Yes the emissions equipment can be annoying. But, it doesn't matter how cold it is... The 6.7 always fires up with no drama and my cab is warm within minutes. It also doesn't wake up the family when I leave at 3am. When I am really tired, its nice to have the backup camera. When I have had a long day at work and have a very short fuse, there are no creaks and rattles. Dealing with the crap on the exhaust isn't anymore annoying than constantly fixing the little piddly bs that plagues 7.3s and any older truck. A 20 year old truck always has things that need fixing, rust that needs patching, and built up wear and tear that just gets old when you spend a lot of time driving.

The motor is more complicated and much of the cab is as well. But, the drive line/suspension on the 05+ trucks is night and day compared to the older trucks. And the 6.4 was really the only motor that was a pain, and mine was very reliable... Even being the most unreliable diesel Ford has ever sold, that truck never once let me down. The 6.0 and 6.7 can both be wrenched on. The 6.7 can be annoying when it comes to things like having injectors programmed to the pcm... But, there are ways to deal with that without going to the dealer. Lets not forget that the 6.7 has more than proved itself as a very reliable motor.

Either way, who cares... Its like saying "Why the hell would anyone buy a cummins or duramax?" Because they like the truck/motor...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.