Why the hell would anyone get a new truck? - Page 23 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 341Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #221 of 248 Old 07-18-2019, 07:52 AM
a known holder of grudges

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnut View Post
The 6.0 was a mess but now we know the problems and how to fix them. Do y'all think a bulletproof 6.0 is as good as a 7.3?

I went with a 6.0 build, and I built the hell out of it - not for HP but longevity. BUT to answer your question, it depends on what your definition of good is. I still don't think it will go the miles a 7.3 will, but otherwise in my opinion the 6.0 is better, once "fixed". Better for the more power, better turbo, etc... Even "fixed" there are still components that won't go the distance of a 7.3. I loved my 7.3, but it doesn't measure up to the performance of my current 6.0.

However, if your measurement for better is miles, the 7.3 is simply legendary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 248 Old 07-18-2019, 08:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tagged, this seems like a very interesting thread
post #223 of 248 Old 07-18-2019, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnut View Post
Not that bill hewwitt is gospel but he claims the 6.4 is a throw away engine and to never get a 6.4.

The 6.0 was a mess but now we know the problems and how to fix them. Do y'all think a bulletproof 6.0 is as good as a 7.3?

I have a 2001 7.3 and was going to buy a new truck. The 6.7 is supposed to be excellent. I looked at a couple new ones and it's like a Cadillac truck. Once I looked under the hood and at all the complexity I went to the Dodge dealer. IMHO the new ram Cummins is a nicer truck unless you are looking for luxury where the Ford is the hands down winner. The ram Cummins looks so much less complicated and easy to work on. I almost bought a new tradesman but decided to keep my 7.3. getting involved in a new truck that would be 50-55k is nuts to me. That's a lot of money and I wasn't comfortable putting that kind of money into a depreciable asset that would be worth half that in 5 years. That's a loss of 5k per year. I got 15 total in my 230k 7.3 and I can probably keep her going for way less than 5k per year and in 5 years easily get 8-10k out of it.

Just the opinion of a poser that has no need for a truck other than to look pretty.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Just Google "consumer reports 10 most unreliable vehicles". You'll find that the #1 most unreliable vehicle in the U.S. is the Ram 3500.
Anyone who buys a new truck, regardless of brand, is married to the dealership for service. Don't let the inline 6 deceive you as to complexity.

I just gave this advice to one of my friends who was truck shopping. He bought a new Ram diesel. He's going on a big fishing trip up in Alaska and wanted a new truck for the trip. He ended up flying to Alaska while his Ram is being worked on at the dealership. Pardon the pun... He's not a happy camper.
kaya, john galt, DaveP. and 1 others like this.

2017 F350 CCSB King Ranch Ultimate 6.7
2002 F250 ECLB, XLT, 7.3 PSD, 4X4, Auto, TW 6pos. Tuner, 4" SS Exhaust, Britebox, EZ Down tailgate assist, Rear Air Bags, 6.0 trans cooler, Wicked Wheel 2, Corey's HPX, Dieselsite Water pump w/built-in filter, 203 degree thermostat, Max A/C assist, Oil drain valve, Non EBV pedestal & Flange, S.S. bellowed up pipes, Dieselsite Lifetime Rad. hoses & Intercooler hoses, New oil cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #224 of 248 Old 07-18-2019, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Chrysler?
I'll pretend i didn't hear that.
post #225 of 248 Old 07-18-2019, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya View Post
Chrysler?
I'll pretend i didn't hear that.
That's Fiat-Chrysler Kaya. That Fiat part REALLY instills a sense of quality doesn't it?
SparkyF250 likes this.

2002 F250 ECLB, XLT, 7.3 PSD, 4X4, Auto, TW 6pos. Tuner, 4" SS Exhaust, Britebox, EZ Down tailgate assist, Rear Air Bags, 6.0 trans cooler, Wicked Wheel 2, Corey's HPX, Dieselsite Water pump w/built-in filter, 203 degree thermostat, Max A/C assist, Oil drain valve, Non EBV pedestal & Flange, S.S. bellowed up pipes, Dieselsite Lifetime Rad. hoses & Intercooler hoses, New oil cooler
post #226 of 248 Old 07-18-2019, 07:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC2 View Post
That's Fiat-Chrysler Kaya. That Fiat part REALLY instills a sense of quality doesn't it?
DIDN'T FIAT AND CHRYSLER GET DIVORCED A FEW YEARS AGO?....

SO NOW IT IS CHRYSLER.....DODGE.....RAM.....WITHOUT THE FIAT?....
post #227 of 248 Old 07-19-2019, 03:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETFURIOUS View Post
DIDN'T FIAT AND CHRYSLER GET DIVORCED A FEW YEARS AGO?....

SO NOW IT IS CHRYSLER.....DODGE.....RAM.....WITHOUT THE FIAT?....
You may be thinking of the divorce between Mercedes-Benz and Chrysler about 10 years ago.
Fiat took interest in Chrysler back about 2009, and bought controlling shares in October 2014. The Agnelli family (Italy) controls about 44% of the stock in what is now called "FCA" (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles), with chief executive Sergio Marchionne running the company.

To answer your question, Chrysler, Dodge, Ram is now known as FCA.
Dodge is their performance division
Ram is trucks.
Alfa Romeo is their luxury brand
Maserati is their ultra luxury brand
It is no longer and American owned company.
kaya, SparkyF250 and GETFURIOUS like this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RJC2 For This Useful Post:
GETFURIOUS (07-22-2019)
post #228 of 248 Old 07-22-2019, 02:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC2 View Post
You may be thinking of the divorce between Mercedes-Benz and Chrysler about 10 years ago.
Fiat took interest in Chrysler back about 2009, and bought controlling shares in October 2014. The Agnelli family (Italy) controls about 44% of the stock in what is now called "FCA" (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles), with chief executive Sergio Marchionne running the company.

To answer your question, Chrysler, Dodge, Ram is now known as FCA.
Dodge is their performance division
Ram is trucks.
Alfa Romeo is their luxury brand
Maserati is their ultra luxury brand
It is no longer and American owned company.
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION.....

I HAVE TO SAY.....I STILL LOVE THE LOOK OF THE NEW DODGE TRUCKS.....

I HAVEN'T DRIVEN ONE OR LOOKED AT THE INTERIOR.....BUT SEEING THEM GOING DOWN THE ROAD.....THEY LOOK GREAT.....
post #229 of 248 Old 07-22-2019, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETFURIOUS View Post
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION.....

I HAVE TO SAY.....I STILL LOVE THE LOOK OF THE NEW DODGE TRUCKS.....

I HAVEN'T DRIVEN ONE OR LOOKED AT THE INTERIOR.....BUT SEEING THEM GOING DOWN THE ROAD.....THEY LOOK GREAT.....
I agree with you, they do look good. But you know the old saying "Pretty is as pretty does"
OR,
in the case of buying a Ram, well, Forest Gump said it best...
SparkyF250 and dh3415 like this.

post #230 of 248 Old 07-25-2019, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
To answer the original question- there is no comparison in my 6.7 and 7.3. Donít get me wrong, I love my ford excursion but the 6.7 pulls like a freight train and stops even better. The AC blows cold, itís quiet, and effortless. With all that I will be hard pressed to get rid of my excursion because itís just ďcoolĒ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode