Why the hell would anyone get a new truck? - Page 22 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 341Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 248 Old 02-03-2019, 08:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I saw the title, saw that it was 21 pages, and figured it would be in need of some humor.

It is, of course, subjective.
Some people wouldn't touch a 6.4 with a ten foot pole. While some believe the sequential turbos have them all beat.
All subjective.

The way i see it, with technology comes complexity. And with complexity comes a heightened risk of failure.
I can build a part that is rigid, using only two pieces. Or i can build a part that operates more smoothly using six. Of course the part using two will be less prone to failure. And cost less to produce. But it will be more limited.
The opinion comes from whether you believe the risk is worth the reward.

The 7.3 is not a "stronger" engine. The 6.7 utilizes a compacted graphite iron block, among many other features. It is much "stronger". But it demands much more.
The 7.3 is reliable because it's simple. And for what it demands, built quite robust. I certainly understand the attraction.

Myself personally, I do believe that every model that succeeded the last was a great improvement. However, that said, i can't justify spending (or am just not in the position) that kind of money on a new model. Nothing against anyone that is. You spend your hard earned money as you see fit.

I like to stay about ten years back in technology. That's kinda my sweet spot.
-most devaluation has occurred
-common issues have surfaced
-aftermarket support has been built
But i still get a fair level of technology this way. Minimize the risk i suppose.

Anyways, I'm Sunday rambling now lol.
ToyMan, john galt, joebuck and 3 others like this.

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
-Michelangelo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 248 Old 02-03-2019, 08:50 AM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 428 Post(s)
Quoted: 3079 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya View Post
I saw the title, saw that it was 21 pages, and figured it would be in need of some humor.

Some people wouldn't touch a 6.4 with a ten foot pole. While some believe the sequential turbos have them all beat.
All subjective.

The way i see it, with technology comes complexity. And with complexity comes a heightened risk of failure.
I can build a part that is rigid, using only two pieces. Or i can build a part that operates more smoothly using six. Of course the part using two will be less prone to failure. And cost less to produce. But it will be more limited.

The 7.3 is not a "stronger" engine. The 6.7 utilizes a compacted graphite iron block, among many other features. It is much "stronger". But it demands much more.
The 7.3 is reliable because it's simple. And for what it demands, built quite robust. I certainly understand the attraction.

Myself personally, I do believe that every model that succeeded the last was a great improvement. However, that said, i can't justify spending (or am just not in the position) that kind of money on a new model. Nothing against anyone that is. You spend your hard earned money as you see fit.

But i still get a fair level of technology this way. Minimize the risk i suppose.

yea....this....
and we missed ya man good to see ya back
also i would make one adendum to my previously posted statement
as far as reliability
7.3,6.7 ONLY because they are aging and chit wears out otherwise if yohu were to put a new 7.3 into a refresehed truck i would say it is ging for 200,000 miles trouble free further than a brand new 6.7 ESPECIALLY if the 6.7 isnt deleted
and i need to do more work to my beloved 6.0 but it is certainly getting there and if i had 10 to 20 k to throw at it i could absolutely find places to put that right now and be ready to enjoy another 2 to 300 k trouble free or very close to
i LOVE my truck
kaya and SparkyF250 like this.

I like mead
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #213 of 248 Old 02-03-2019, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

All subjective.

I wouldn’t call 10 years back (09 6.4) the sweet spot...

I understand your theory though and fully agree, but unfortunately you can’t apply that in this case. It’s usuualy better not to by the first few years of completely new technology, let them sus out the issues and refine it.... or completely get rid of it.

Last edited by Dieselspower; 02-03-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 248 Old 02-03-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

That is EXACTLY my stance. 10 year old cars are the best spot. 10 year old cars only depreciate by the wear and tear you put on them, not age (or at least not significantly). You find out what the real issues are and costs (carcomplaints.com). You avoid the troubled models, or pick the model and avoid the problematic tranmission/engine/package. I'll also add that there are usually a ton of 'em in the junkyard and parts for sale are plentiful! And a lot of times, the issues have been properly addressed and you can get the things you would have done to it at a discount.
ToyMan, kaya, john galt and 1 others like this.

Last edited by ChrisArnold; 02-03-2019 at 01:35 PM.
post #215 of 248 Old 02-03-2019, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselspower View Post
I wouldn’t call 10 years back (09 6.4) the sweet spot...
Not long ago, that was the sentiment shared towards the 6.0.
Now that newer trucks have become more complex/expensive, those 6.0's don't look so bad. I've noticed they've climbed in value the past year or so. Where i am anyways. People are fixing them now instead of selling. Because that's the best alternative.
It's all relative.

6.4's are in that boat that the 6.0 was. People have heard the horror stories and so they often come up for cheap. Especially if they're hurt.
But as the options run out, the 6.4 will look more appealing.

Personally, i think they're a great truck.
Awesome looking exterior/interior. Common rail injection. And the sequential turbos rip.
The only thing i don't like is the fact they were only made from 08-10 and so parts can be pretty scarce. And they didn't sell a lot of '09's and '10's.

Mind you, if i had to pay for repairs, my opinion would certainly be otherwise. And i definitely sympathize with that view.
Again, it's all relative though. just my personal opinion.
SparkyF250 likes this.

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
-Michelangelo

Last edited by kaya; 02-03-2019 at 03:11 PM.
post #216 of 248 Old 07-17-2019, 03:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Not long ago, that was the sentiment shared towards the 6.0.
Now that newer trucks have become more complex/expensive, those 6.0's don't look so bad. I've noticed they've climbed in value the past year or so. Where i am anyways. People are fixing them now instead of selling. Because that's the best alternative.
It's all relative.

6.4's are in that boat that the 6.0 was. People have heard the horror stories and so they often come up for cheap. Especially if they're hurt.
But as the options run out, the 6.4 will look more appealing.

Personally, i think they're a great truck.
Awesome looking exterior/interior. Common rail injection. And the sequential turbos rip.
The only thing i don't like is the fact they were only made from 08-10 and so parts can be pretty scarce. And they didn't sell a lot of '09's and '10's.

Mind you, if i had to pay for repairs, my opinion would certainly be otherwise. And i definitely sympathize with that view.
Again, it's all relative though. just my personal opinion.
Not that bill hewwitt is gospel but he claims the 6.4 is a throw away engine and to never get a 6.4.

The 6.0 was a mess but now we know the problems and how to fix them. Do y'all think a bulletproof 6.0 is as good as a 7.3?

I have a 2001 7.3 and was going to buy a new truck. The 6.7 is supposed to be excellent. I looked at a couple new ones and it's like a Cadillac truck. Once I looked under the hood and at all the complexity I went to the Dodge dealer. IMHO the new ram Cummins is a nicer truck unless you are looking for luxury where the Ford is the hands down winner. The ram Cummins looks so much less complicated and easy to work on. I almost bought a new tradesman but decided to keep my 7.3. getting involved in a new truck that would be 50-55k is nuts to me. That's a lot of money and I wasn't comfortable putting that kind of money into a depreciable asset that would be worth half that in 5 years. That's a loss of 5k per year. I got 15 total in my 230k 7.3 and I can probably keep her going for way less than 5k per year and in 5 years easily get 8-10k out of it.

Just the opinion of a poser that has no need for a truck other than to look pretty.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
MSM likes this.
post #217 of 248 Old 07-17-2019, 08:58 AM
MSM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I ordered and received my 2000 F350, 7.3, manual trans., in December of 99. Has 156,000 on it now, with original clutch and engine.(no engine problems). I also was thinking of getting a new one this year. Maybe the 7.3 gas. I would pretty much be getting the same setup, crew cab, F350. I really don't want all that fancy crap that trucks have now. Would get a manuel and crank up windows of I could. But that is not permitted anymore. lol

Only problem I see with it is the bed support rails are starting to go. Anyway, I decided to keep it for a while. I was getting a little bored though, so I am jacking it up a little next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1578.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	720885  

Last edited by MSM; 07-17-2019 at 09:04 AM.
post #218 of 248 Old 07-17-2019, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSM View Post
I ordered and received my 2000 F350, 7.3, manual trans., in December of 99. Has 156,000 on it now, with original clutch and engine.(no engine problems). I also was thinking of getting a new one this year. Maybe the 7.3 gas. I would pretty much be getting the same setup, crew cab, F350. I really don't want all that fancy crap that trucks have now. Would get a manuel and crank up windows of I could. But that is not permitted anymore. lol

Only problem I see with it is the bed support rails are starting to go. Anyway, I decided to keep it for a while. I was getting a little bored though, so I am jacking it up a little next week.
NICE LOOKING TRUCK.....DO YOU HAVE A LEVELING KIT ON IT?....

AND HOW FAR UP ARE YOU GOING?....

B-T-W.....THE BED SUPPORT RAILS ARE AVAILABLE IN THE AFTER-MARKET.....

The Following User Says Thank You to GETFURIOUS For This Useful Post:
post #219 of 248 Old 07-17-2019, 10:24 AM
MSM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETFURIOUS View Post
NICE LOOKING TRUCK.....DO YOU HAVE A LEVELING KIT ON IT?....

AND HOW FAR UP ARE YOU GOING?....

B-T-W.....THE BED SUPPORT RAILS ARE AVAILABLE IN THE AFTER-MARKET.....
Thank you! Yes, leveling leaf pack(I think 2.5") with 315/75/16 on stock rims. It's still about an inch or so lower in the front.

Putting a 6.5 Pro Comp lift on it. 4 new leaf springs and shocks.

I would imagine you have to take the bed off and cut the old ones off to put the after market rails on?
post #220 of 248 Old 07-18-2019, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSM View Post
Thank you! Yes, leveling leaf pack(I think 2.5") with 315/75/16 on stock rims. It's still about an inch or so lower in the front.

Putting a 6.5 Pro Comp lift on it. 4 new leaf springs and shocks.

I would imagine you have to take the bed off and cut the old ones off to put the after market rails on?
THAT IS CORRECT.....BUT A PERSON GOOD WITH A WELDER CAN EASILY DO IT IN AN AFTERNOON.....

THEN.....HIT IT WITH SOME PAINT AND SOME UNDERCOAT.....AND BOLT IT BACK ON.....
MSM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode