Why the hell would anyone get a new truck? - Page 16 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 341Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 248 Old 01-26-2019, 08:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's my second 7.3...nice try.
ChrisArnold likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 248 Old 01-27-2019, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
lol, and I don't understand the issue with your earlier comment regardless of your experience level. Nothing wrong with rebuilding your 7.3 or buying another.

In this forum, it's surprising to hear people playing the devil's advocate of the 7.3. Yeah... injectors are expensive. The front suspension requires a rebuild from time to time. It's not as though this all happens at once, and there's no reason that your truck has to become a sloppy mess unless you don't take care of the issues as they come.
post #153 of 248 Old 01-27-2019, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisArnold View Post

In this forum, it's surprising to hear people playing the devil's advocate of the 7.3. Yeah... injectors are expensive. The front suspension requires a rebuild from time to time. It's not as though this all happens at once, and there's no reason that your truck has to become a sloppy mess unless you don't take care of the issues as they come.

Its surprising how any one can have such a strong opinion against the newer trucks when you've never owned one. You could literally just replace 7.3 with 6.7 in your above statement and it would still be truth.

Quote:
I spent time reading about reliability comparisons with the 7.3 and the 6.7. Dealing with DEF, failing turbos up through '14, people unable to get to anything on the motor without lifting the cab off the frame, etc... What is it with people? When did a truck stop being a truck?
The part about the 11-14 turbos is the only valid concern. Guess what, run your stock 7.3 turbo at 400+ hp and see how long it lasts..

I just swapped turbo and hpfp and couldn't see anything that would require lifting the cab.

I don't run the horse piss and don't recommend any one else should either.

13 qts of oil for the 6.7 vs 15 in 7.3 as well as the fact that it's not heui so there's no shear and I could easily go 20k+ miles between changes with quality oil.

So where's the higher operation costs ??

Truck stop being a truck ? Take the fact that you don't like 6.7 out of the equation for a minute. Put an 03 next to a 19 both without a motor for comparison sake, look em over in their "truck areas" and see which one is more of a truck. Creature comforts are just a bonus.

Quote:

I'd also take you up on the trans service intervals, given that no manual is available with the 6.7. Before you say that's not fair, I say it is something I have to consider when I upgrade. I really like having a manual trans.
6.7 has a full manual option right on the auto shifter without having to mash a clutch, It's pretty frickin sweet.

Step outside your box for a minute and Think if a guy bought a new 6.7 and never owned a 7.3 , he comes on here and start a thread like why would anyone waste their money on an old clapped out underpowered 7.3 ?? Yada yada, Its half the truck a 6.7 is ! You and the 7.3 fan boys would be on the front line to defend why the 7.3 only rivals sliced bread in cool points. See how that works though ? You would understand that that guy has no experience with 7.3 so why does he try to criticize it ? Or maybe you don't understand what I'm saying hence this thread you started...

I'm just saying

Guys that liked their 7.3 and now own a 6.7 are about the most qualified to comment in here. Seems like they almost unanimously choose the 6.7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 248 Old 01-27-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDesh View Post
Its surprising how any one can have such a strong opinion against the newer trucks when you've never owned one. You could literally just replace 7.3 with 6.7 in your above statement and it would still be truth.
Ok. Except I'm in a 7.3 forum.

Quote:
The part about the 11-14 turbos is the only valid concern. Guess what, run your stock 7.3 turbo at 400+ hp and see how long it lasts..
Nope. Tows just fine at its power level. Doesn't have problems as designed... Can you say that for the 11-14 turbos?

Quote:
I just swapped turbo and hpfp and couldn't see anything that would require lifting the cab.

I don't run the horse piss and don't recommend any one else should either.

Quote:
13 qts of oil for the 6.7 vs 15 in 7.3 as well as the fact that it's not heui so there's no shear and I could easily go 20k+ miles between changes with quality oil.

So where's the higher operation costs ??
DEF + repairs on more expensive & extra parts that utility vehicles don't need. Outside of operating costs: Depreciation, insurance, loan interest, etc...

Quote:
Truck stop being a truck ? Take the fact that you don't like 6.7 out of the equation for a minute. Put an 03 next to a 19 both without a motor for comparison sake, look em over in their "truck areas" and see which one is more of a truck. Creature comforts are just a bonus.
Truck = simple utility vehicle. New truck = flashy status symbol with a ton of unnecessary complexity and excessive equipment and pampering for soft men .

Quote:
6.7 has a full manual option right on the auto shifter without having to mash a clutch, It's pretty frickin sweet.
which equals not a manual.

Quote:
Step outside your box for a minute and Think if a guy bought a new 6.7 and never owned a 7.3 , he comes on here and start a thread like why would anyone waste their money on an old clapped out underpowered 7.3 ?? Yada yada, Its half the truck a 6.7 is ! You and the 7.3 fan boys would be on the front line to defend why the 7.3 only rivals sliced bread in cool points. See how that works though ? You would understand that that guy has no experience with 7.3 so why does he try to criticize it ? Or maybe you don't understand what I'm saying hence this thread you started...
I wouldn't be offended. Are you? lol

Quote:
I'm just saying

Guys that liked their 7.3 and now own a 6.7 are about the most qualified to comment in here. Seems like they almost unanimously choose the 6.7.
Right... eliminate anyone who isn't biased enough to go buy one, as opposed to people like me who can afford them, has thoroughly considered them, but have chosen to stay with the simpler, more reliable, and WAY cheaper alternative. Add my little secret that even if the truck's cost the same, I'd be inclined to remain with the 7.3 unless I needed more capacity, in which case probably a Chassis Cab with a 7.3

Did you get the response you were looking for?

Here we go!

I might have gotten carried away with the emojis And, hey, I'm just having fun. Don't take any of this stuff too seriously. Do what you want with your money. I respect the 6.7. Good engine. Good transmission. Good truck! I'm glad Ford is still kicking ***! I will not own one unless money starts falling from the sky, I don't care about all the little broken accessories or dealing with emissions & DEF, and something inclines me to desire luxury interiors in a utility vehicle I only use for utility tasks, but I can appreciate them from afar while I make wiser decisions for me.
7.3_TurboDiesel likes this.

Last edited by ChrisArnold; 01-27-2019 at 06:26 PM.
post #155 of 248 Old 01-27-2019, 04:56 PM

Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,787 Posts
Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Quoted: 4006 Post(s)
this was a good thread and most all of the comments were taken in a jovial manner intended

let's not go ballistic in defense of what vehicle we choose to own
DaveP., nine9six and ChrisArnold like this.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #156 of 248 Old 01-27-2019, 05:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
I no my father in law, went and bought him a 2015 F250 because his 2001 7.3 first lost its tranny at 120000 miles and now at 150000 the engine went.
post #157 of 248 Old 01-27-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323flint View Post
I no my father in law, went and bought him a 2015 F250 because his 2001 7.3 first lost its tranny at 120000 miles and now at 150000 the engine went.
Engine went on the 6.7 ?
post #158 of 248 Old 01-27-2019, 05:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDesh View Post
Engine went on the 6.7 ?
Yes, it broke a rod, pulling a 12000lb trailer up a pass
post #159 of 248 Old 01-27-2019, 06:11 PM

You pretty much proved my point about being 7.3 sensitive when presented with opposition facts. I even had said the 7.3 is a great motor , had mine 5 years and loved it.

You kept saying unreliable and I'm just pointing out you never owned one so how would you know ? If you want to use the search function, you'll find ALOT of guys that have had 7.3 major issues and catastrophic failures too. 6.0 , 6.4 and 6.7 too $hit happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post

let's not go ballistic in defense of what vehicle we choose to own

This^^^ was all I was trying to say.
Don't be triggered if someone choses to drive a different powerstroke.

Power to you if you want to ride yours till the wheels fall off, just don't berate guys who don't drive the same thing as you
post #160 of 248 Old 01-27-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323flint View Post
Yes, it broke a rod, pulling a 12000lb trailer up a pass
It happens. Its a mechanical item , things can break prematurely or last way past their life expectancy. You never know. I've seen failures on every one of the powerstroke platforms, as I'm sure most guys who have been around a while have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode