Why the hell would anyone get a new truck? - Page 15 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 341Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 248 Old 01-21-2019, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake6.0 View Post
No sooner I write this than I got an offer to get my very first vehicle back. It was my grandparents 1950 Willys Overland 2wd pickup that I drove thru HS and took apart never to be resurrected many years ago I sold it to my buddys dad, now I can have it back if I bring a flatbed. And a chainsaw Apparently it's right where I left it, only it wasn't a forest growing around it then.

I remember the mind blowing luxury of that thing compared to my skateboard, it's all relative. Gonna be a money pit tho to ever approach "meticulous maintained", but gonna be fun
Projects like this are more about the memories than the truck.....

What are your plans with it ??
BryceB and Jake6.0 like this.

Bulletproofed at 86,ooo miles. BPD HD air to oil cooler with cold weather, BPD egr cooler, BPD 6ph FICM, BPD water pump, Blue spring, KC stage 1 turbo, KDD heads, ARP studs, 6.4 banjo bolts, 6.4 starter, SCTx4 tuner, EDGE CTS2 monitor

2007 F250 CCSB 2wd
1989 Saleen Mustang Coupe
1984 Mustang GT350 Convert
1965 FFR Cobra Roadster
1957 Jaguar MK 1
The Following User Says Thank You to Derald Rice For This Useful Post:
BryceB (01-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 248 Old 01-21-2019, 06:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derald Rice View Post

Exactly. I have a project that I was saving for my son and I to do, but kids these days don't car about cars like they used to. He has absolutely no interest in it.

I guess I'll go it alone. 84 Bronco II that I want to drop a 302 into. The 2.8v6 had the timing gears come apart so its not running (stop it to have full gear, no chain, and then use nylon inserts in the gears). My Daughter and I were fixing it up until the timing went and we just got her something else. I've had this little BII for 20 years now.
Jake6.0 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Ford F-250 SD CCSB 7.3 PSD - AIS Intake, Zoodad,
MBRP 4" XP Series Exhaust w/ Muffler, HD4R100, 26 row Trans Cooler, Fumoto Valve,
285/75R16E BFG AT KO, Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT Nav, BOYO VLT-422C Back Up Camera,
Scangauge II, Glowshift 3 Gauge Pod (EGT,TFT,Boost), PHP FU Chip, Huskyliners, Huskyliner Mud Flaps, Warn Premium Hubs, Riffraff Boots/Clamps/inserts
Dyno'd at Mo's Speed Shop 11/3/12 - 307rwhp / 651rw ft-lbs <<<--- On PHP 120Race tune
post #143 of 248 Old 01-21-2019, 06:43 AM

Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,796 Posts
Mentioned: 726 Post(s)
Quoted: 4030 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceB View Post
Exactly. I have a project that I was saving for my son and I to do, but kids these days don't car about cars like they used to.
i can barely get my kids to check or change the oil in the cars I bought them ( not spoiled they are broke college students) one B.S. on dual B.S. and a Masters in a month )

My Chihuahuas are more helpful when I am working on stuff than my kids ever were

myself I always had a wrench in my hand and grease under my nails i thought for sure they would be into this as well
SparkyF250, Bri_Man57 and Jake6.0 like this.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ZMANN; 01-21-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 248 Old 01-21-2019, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
i can barely get my kids to check or change the oil in the cars I bought them ( college students) one B.S. on dual B.S. and a Masters in a month )

My Chihuahuas are more helpful when I am working on stuff than my kids ever were

myself I always had a wrench in my hand and grease under my nails
My daughter is the exact opposite from my son. She's 21. Junior at Georgia Tech working on her BS in Mechanical Engineering. On an Air Force ROTC Scholarship (4 year minimum hitch as an Officer upon graduation). More than willing to get dirty and work on stuff. Rides motorcycles with me (her own BMW F650GS) that she maintains.

My 16yo son... he's another story.
ToyMan, ZMANN, 79jasper and 7 others like this.

2001 Ford F-250 SD CCSB 7.3 PSD - AIS Intake, Zoodad,
MBRP 4" XP Series Exhaust w/ Muffler, HD4R100, 26 row Trans Cooler, Fumoto Valve,
285/75R16E BFG AT KO, Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT Nav, BOYO VLT-422C Back Up Camera,
Scangauge II, Glowshift 3 Gauge Pod (EGT,TFT,Boost), PHP FU Chip, Huskyliners, Huskyliner Mud Flaps, Warn Premium Hubs, Riffraff Boots/Clamps/inserts
Dyno'd at Mo's Speed Shop 11/3/12 - 307rwhp / 651rw ft-lbs <<<--- On PHP 120Race tune
post #145 of 248 Old 01-21-2019, 07:02 AM

Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,796 Posts
Mentioned: 726 Post(s)
Quoted: 4030 Post(s)
now thats pretty darn impressive

my Daughter 21 also had more of a mechanical inclination than my 23 year old son
but still neither even know the term righty tighty lefty loosey lol

hell my Son did just average in high school and wanted to be a paid gammer LOL somehow he got motivated to dual major in Biology and chemistry ( never showed any interest before college) and now he student teaches at the University (paid and free masters ride) graduates in a month)

6.0 flush pdf
post #146 of 248 Old 01-21-2019, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisArnold View Post
Pics or it didn't happen!
It didn't happen then. Or at least won't until I can drive out there to have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derald Rice View Post

I don't even know, can't imagine what condition it is in after sitting with the engine (flathead 4) in the bed for more than 30 years and now supposedly a forest growing around it. There is also a '62 Willys 4wd that I went halves on with my friend (RIP) that I can have too. Soon as I can get there to have a look and see what I even need to do to get them home I'll know more about what possible plans I could have for them.

2006 F-350 Lariat 6.0L CCLB FX4 DRW
Mostly Stock | ARP studs | KC Stage1 Turbo | ODawgs Stage2 Ported Intake | Sinister regulated return, coolant & oil bypass filter | Bulletproof water pump, EGR cooler, 7.3 style mechanical fan clutch | 4" exhaust | '04 "no-scoop" upper Y pipe, EGR branch welded shut | Mishimoto -60 radiator, trans cooler | Banks intercooler, CAC tubes, elbow | AirDog-II 4g 165 lift pump/filter | Bean fuel tank sump | Timken hubs | Powerstop Z36 brakes | Bilstein shocks | Sulastic Shackle springs
post #147 of 248 Old 01-21-2019, 11:19 AM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Thanked 1,178 Times in 1,065 Posts
Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 2657 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well thanks for the entertainment in catching up after a weekend of snowmobiling.....jeez got a little heated in here.

There's tons of listed reasons already on the why as per the subject of the thread....all I can do is agree with most of them at this point. More power, more comfort, more goodies with the technology.... the fun of being on the cutting edge of new performance tech and having the fun of figuring out a build rather than just seeing something everyone else has done.

Different strokes for different folks, ain't it grand we live in a time and place where we have the choice for all of us.
IYAO6502 likes this.

'Tis but a flesh wound
post #148 of 248 Old 01-25-2019, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I read though some of this thread so far, not all and I actually need to get some work done. I figured I could spend $7000 a year on my 03 and still work out ahead of buying a 19. I may or may not get a 6.7 in the future (ford or ram), it really depends on what I want, and what the wife will allow me to spend. There are features I would like in my truck such as heated seats the 360 camera system the blind spot monitoring including the trailer. Honestly at the moment the only reason I am going to replace my paid for truck is if it gets wrecked. My truck is not a daily driver, some weeks it does not move, I got it when I flew RC planes and needed hauling room. I got the big diesel because I wanted a travel trailer. Now I have stopped flying (I wanted to be a father first when my son is older I will go back) but have the trailer its main purpose is to tow. As a result I don't even do 5k miles in a year. My <100k 03 should last me a long time.

As an aside I am the only person in the world who absolutely loves the capacitive touch buttons in my 14 fusion hybrid, I also love the touch screen infotainment system and the keyless ignition.

2019 F350 6.7 CC LB Lariat
2003 F250 6.0 CC SB Lariat (Sold)
Edge CTS2, BPD EGR Cooler, DC Power 185 Alt and wiring kit, BPD Water pump, BPD Aluminum radiatorFICM upgraded at FICMRepair.com, Felpro HG, ARP Studs, UCF O-Ringed Heads, 6.4 pushrods, DieselSite HPOP, BPD remote mount oil cooler (Removed), Sinister Coolant Filter
post #149 of 248 Old 01-26-2019, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Man I wouldn't get a new one. If my 7.3 goes down...rebuilt engine or someone's 7.3! Just bought mine yesterday. 1999 387,000 miles. Still running great.
post #150 of 248 Old 01-26-2019, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
You've only owned a old powerstroke for one day, come back in a few years and we'll see if that opinion changes.....
Tells us how those injectors are, the front end, all the bushings, cab mounts, etc.
Don't get me wrong, I'm DD-ING a 03 6.0, with a 96 7.3 sitting right behind it. But you haven't exactly had one long enough to give a opinion. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode