4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 01-04-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 F350 Loose Axle

I am replacing a wheel hub bearing in this 4x4 truck. When the wheel hub assembly is OFF the truck, there is a HUGE amount of slop in the axle shaft. Like it slams from one edge of the axle tube to the other. Is there nothing supporting the axle in its tube other than the wheel hub bearing and the axle u-joint or do I have another issue here?

Thanks...did not expect this and need to get this buttoned up. :/

This is exactly what mine looks like:

What seals do I need or whatever?

Last edited by brazosdog02; 01-04-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-04-2019, 08:21 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02 View Post
I am replacing a wheel hub bearing in this 4x4 truck. When the wheel hub assembly is OFF the truck, there is a HUGE amount of slop in the axle shaft. Like it slams from one edge of the axle tube to the other. Is there nothing supporting the axle in its tube other than the wheel hub bearing and the axle u-joint or do I have another issue here?

Thanks...did not expect this and need to get this buttoned up. :/
the wheel hubs are unique to the superduties they are called wheel hub bearing assembly units and they support the axel shaft when installed. When you remove the hub bearing unit the axel shaft has nothing supporting it. *Be careful because the inner axel seal requires a $$ special tool to replace so don't wiggle that thing like a fence post and destroy the seal.
ZMANN likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #3 of 23 Old 01-04-2019, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
*Be careful because the inner axle seal requires a $$ special tool to replace so don't wiggle that thing like a fence post and destroy the seal.
I'd be surprised if that were a real concern though...

If you think about it, there's very little room between the axle and tube (<3/4"?) there at the end and if you figured the defection a couple of feet away (the length of the axle) it might be >1/8". PLUS it's in the side gear that, I'm sure, is resisting movement some. I don't see there being enough deflection inside the rubber there to cause a potential issue.

Has anybody felt they had damaged to the inner seal from that?

Also, I replaced my inner seals a couple of years ago ('cause I was in there anyway installing an E-Locker) and I didn't buy any tools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 01-04-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

The seal and the dust seal is TRASHED.

There are only two seals that I can see. I do not know what the 'inner seal' is. Is that the dust shield attached to the axle itself? A dust shield in the axle and a vacuum seal comglomeration inside the hub. Neither of these look like they require anything special to install.

Can you please elaborate on what special tool would be needed and for what?
post #5 of 23 Old 01-04-2019, 10:36 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The seal and the dust seal is TRASHED.

There are only two seals that I can see. I do not know what the 'inner seal' is. Is that the dust shield attached to the axle itself? A dust shield in the axle and a vacuum seal comglomeration inside the hub. Neither of these look like they require anything special to install.

Can you please elaborate on what special tool would be needed and for what?

seal installer tool with instructions. the 4wd is air actuated so the big yellow ring helps seal the system so when the hubs are in auto the vacuum system can engage 4wd hubs without the driver leaving. if the 4x4 doesn't work with vacuum system you can still turn the hubs to lock to use them like manual hubs.

auto= normal driving and allows hubs to engage without getting out.
lock= get out and manually turn the hubs to lock to use 4x4 then turn them back to auto to ESSENTIALLY unlock the 4x4 hub operation.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #6 of 23 Old 01-04-2019, 12:14 PM

Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,750 Posts
Mentioned: 697 Post(s)
Quoted: 3908 Post(s)
you can get away with the DIY tool for the vacuum seal on the 04 under IMO but the 05 up not so much

look up Guzzles ford page he has this procedure and you can google a DIY vacuum seal tool

these vacuum seals are unitized and they rotate within themselves so any drama or depth issues when pounding the seal in can lead to a vacuum leak and lack of auto hub function it can also let water migrate inside the cavity

the proper tool sets the seal to depth inside the knuckle it also makes getting the seal square on the axle much easier

6.0 flush pdf
post #7 of 23 Old 01-04-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

I thought the seal pressed onto the axle and the whole thing slid into the knuckle? No? Ill have to DIY it. May have to just pound it home and hope for the best. I am on Guzzle page now, can someone link the part I need? I see nothing at all related to the vacuum hub seal removal or installation or related DIY tools.

Last edited by brazosdog02; 01-04-2019 at 12:53 PM.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-04-2019, 12:57 PM

Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,750 Posts
Mentioned: 697 Post(s)
Quoted: 3908 Post(s)
the seal does press on to the axle but it does not slide into the knuckle it is a press fit and if you just beat it in without care you will likely create friction when the two-part seal spins and it will fail

maybe Guzzle does not have this info but it is very searchable info

6.0 flush pdf
post #9 of 23 Old 01-04-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

I didn't know that. The old seal pulled out of the knuckle pretty easily.

http://www.superdutypsd.com/axle_seal_tool.php

Why won't this work? This will allow you to drive the part on the axle and then push it into the knuckle?

There is a shoulder inside the knuckle that the back of the seal rests against. There is no need to index anything. bang the seal on the axle, put everything in the knuckle and drive it home. Seems pretty straightforward.

Last edited by brazosdog02; 01-04-2019 at 01:22 PM.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-04-2019, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Quote:

Ford Super Duty Knuckle Seal Tool - AKA OTC 6695 - Superdutypsd.com

Why won't this work? This will allow you to drive the part on the axle and then push it into the knuckle?
That tool works fine. The issue with the installation is not that it's hard to press on the axle, but rather keeping it going in straight into the Hub (and with what that stupid seal costs, you don't want to deform in going in).

The dust seal is a joke, they're all "trashed" pretty quickly because of all the movement that axle has out there (really more to keep rocks out of the tube rather than "dust")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode