which winch wires: quick disconnect kit or diy - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 Old 12-15-2018, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
quick disconnect winch wires anyone have a brand they like or do most folks diy them? i.e. buy the wire and the quick connect ends etc. doesn't seem to be much price difference so looking for personal experience good/bad. I'll have the appropriate safety's wired in etc.
(snip)
some complete kits by superwinch, roughcountry, bulldog, tuff stuff, some no name amazon brands.
if you do go to commercially produced one, make sure they are comparable. I've got a Superwinch and Ramsey kit. The Superwinch does not have long black cable to run back to the front, just a shorter one to go to the frame. At least when I bought mine they did.
Hemlar Parts has good prices on Anderson style connectors.

2005 F-250 supercab longbed 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 12-15-2018, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Garage
I checked into this before deciding to make my own. SmittyBilt, for example, uses 3ga wire. When you run the calculation for amp draw (422A at full pull for the x20 15.5k) of them, then calculate the maximum amps through 3ga wire then calculate the length needed, there is no way that 3ga wire can handle that many Amps, not even close. Granted, you would only ever be pulling 422A in bursts.

But I didnt want to take the chance of the cable heating up and catching fire. So I made mine using 2/0 (00) Audio Cable which is actually about 3/0 (000).

If you look at my bumper build thread, you will also see that I placed some battery disconnects to use as a port for jumper cables or another power item. I daisy chained the connection off the winch for those, this way I did not have to run another wire to the front and back for those. This is good also, because now I can turn the power off to the quick disconnects, as I do the winches via the solenoids, so I do not always have a live wire going from the front, under the body along the frame, to the winch/disconnect in the rear of truck.

I just personally would not trust the Warn or SmittyBilt power cables. 3ga is not enough. Maybe for a 8k or 9k winch, certainly not any larger.
JustinOOO9 likes this.

2007 F250 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4. Lots of upgrades, but not enough. It's tall, too tall. Yes, I'm obviously compensating for something.

UPGRADES:
EGR Delete, RedHead Steering Gear, Blue Spring Upgrade, ARP Studs, (Let's not mention this manufacturers name) Coolant Filter, (Let's not mention this manufacturers name) Blue Intercooler Pipe and Elbow Upgrade, Cold Air Intake, One-Up Offroad Traction Bars, XD Wheels and Nitto Ridge Grappler 37" Tires, LED Lights all around, 2013 Tailgate, 2008+ Power Mirrors, Pro-Comp XXX Dual Front Coilover Suspension, Custom Bedliner Sprayed Rocker Panels and Fender Flares, Amerihood Tpe E-Style Ram Air/Heat Extraction Hood, CompuStar Alarm with Remote Windows, Remote Start, and much more!
More upgrades to come, including Singer Alternator, and other engine upgrades.

NEW Custom Bumpers with Tire Carrier! Dual Winches!

Last edited by -Falcon-; 12-15-2018 at 08:40 PM.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-15-2018, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
use at least 1/0. 2/0 is better. put a fuse or circuit breaker within 1 foot of the battery. i use a 175a circuit breaker/disconnect made by Buss i got at ozone(autozone)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 Old 12-15-2018, 10:07 PM

Garage
No. Do not use fuse or circuit breaker. Only manual emergency cut-off or high amp solenoid. A circuit breaker or fuse can melt closed instead of open.

2007 F250 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4. Lots of upgrades, but not enough. It's tall, too tall. Yes, I'm obviously compensating for something.

UPGRADES:
EGR Delete, RedHead Steering Gear, Blue Spring Upgrade, ARP Studs, (Let's not mention this manufacturers name) Coolant Filter, (Let's not mention this manufacturers name) Blue Intercooler Pipe and Elbow Upgrade, Cold Air Intake, One-Up Offroad Traction Bars, XD Wheels and Nitto Ridge Grappler 37" Tires, LED Lights all around, 2013 Tailgate, 2008+ Power Mirrors, Pro-Comp XXX Dual Front Coilover Suspension, Custom Bedliner Sprayed Rocker Panels and Fender Flares, Amerihood Tpe E-Style Ram Air/Heat Extraction Hood, CompuStar Alarm with Remote Windows, Remote Start, and much more!

post #15 of 16 Old 12-15-2018, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Falcon- View Post
No. Do not use fuse or circuit breaker. Only manual emergency cut-off or high amp solenoid. A circuit breaker or fuse can melt closed instead of open.
not true. i was a commercial electrician/foreman for 20 years and am retired now. I was also an auto mechanic for 10 years. Circuit breakers are used to protect the wire. Circuit breakers and fuses are designed to trip or blow. A quick disconnect will not blow or trip. A solenoid will not blow or trip. Neither will protect the wire. The info you posted is wrong and misleading. I know for a fact you are not an electrician, I am.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-15-2018, 10:50 PM

Garage
I have personally seen fuses and circuit breakers that have fused themselves closed and the wire heated up and caught fire. Just sayin.

The idea behind the manual cut-off switch and the solenoid, is so that you only have the cable to the winches live......when you are using them only. Turn power off to the winches when you are not.

UPGRADES:

Last edited by -Falcon-; 12-15-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode