LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 Old 12-07-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00t444e View Post
Like I have said before it is all in the tuning, most tuning companies now days like to tune it so it doesn't start fueling hard until you hit a certain rpm or boost psi, they do that to keep the smoke down, but the problem is it kills the low end and turns the truck into a turd below 2,000 rpm, like many of you are experiencing. With my tuning it will start building boost at 1,200 rpm and I can hit 30 psi by 1,800 rpm. Yes it will smoke if I let it, but I would rather have all the fuel available throughout the rpm range, and control smoke with my right foot, than have a tune that pulls fuel in the low end.
I think thatís a lot of it. My DP tuner is smokey...if I want it to be. I can definitely tell that my PHP tunes are all about keeping the smoke down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Early 99 F250 with a bunch of extra junk...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 12-07-2018, 03:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heavy fueling down low and high timing is what throws rods.

That’s why tuners aren’t as aggressive down low and why DP tuner is not recommended anymore.

His tunes have a history of windowing blocks

I will say dan at sdk has a good medium ground between these two.

I still daily drive my php tune though with 160/30’s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
99.5 f250 7.3 4x4 279k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B, 4" Exhaust, Van Turbo w/Riffraff Billet Wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built trans, 08 Tow Mirrors, Trucool Max.

Dad- 2000 F250 7.3 4x4 124k Autometer Gauges, Superchips 1705 (Tow Safe), K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, BD Billet Wheel, Trucool Max, Modified VB, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #13 of 22 Old 12-07-2018, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I've been running PHP tunes on 2 different trucks for almost 5 years now and they've been excellent to me. I believe they have 2 factors contributing to your issues, but are more of a feature than a problem. Their tunes are meant to run clean which means limiting fuel until needed in the top end. About the only time I see any significant smoke is lugging it in 4th on the highway until the boost catches up. Second, they have excellent EGT management which has earned them one of the best reputations in tuner for the 7.3. Many other tuners out there are able to make the same power (and even exceed the "seat of the pants" feel) but their tunes create dangerous heat and shorten transmission life significantly.

Others recommend SDK and 1023 tunes these days, however I have no experience. They claim to be better than the "20 year old" tunes from PHP, DP, Gearhead, etc. Just because 20 years have past, doesn't mean the engines changed... For what it's worth, PHP wrote the software that most people are using to tune. I tried SDK tunes but could never get them to run correctly - the truck would crank but not start. After 2 reflashes, purchasing a Hydra, and over 6 months, I could start and PHP tune and switch to SDK but still couldn't get it to start on one. I'm sure I'm an isolated case and have an odd truck configuration (2000 California non-emissions model) but just made me wonder.

2000 ECLB 4x4 7.3L PSD - Converted from a beat up XL farm truck and frame off restored thanks to New England road salt
Cosmetic: 05 Harley front end, 11 tailgate, black sport full power interior, 05 dash with aux switches and brake controller
Performance: AFE intake, SPX billet compressor wheel, Turbomaster wastegate, blank pedestal & exhaust housing, MBRP 5" exhaust, PHP Hydra, gauges and CTS2
Audio: Sony XAV-AX5000, JBL Club speakers, fully sound deadened

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 Old 12-11-2018, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
I'm stoked to hear that PHP tunes are good on EGTs. My Hydra arrives from Corey on Friday and I'm stoked to get it put in. My truck came with the 'Game Controller' tuner from Edge but the tunes run pretty hot. Our camper is only about 4000# but I end up driving to the EGT gauge in all but the coldest weather. Would be super happy to have tunes that have useable power without getting so hot.
I'll probably put a smokey max power tune in there somewhere just for fun, but mostly just want good MPG empty and cool power when loaded.

2002 F350, 7.3l, CCLB, WW2, HPOP crossover, Coolant bypass filter, ATF inline filter, 4" exhaust, afe intake with AIS, 4" lift, 35's, Hellwig Big Wig F/R, Rancho900XLs, Firestone bags, PHP Hydra.
post #15 of 22 Old 12-11-2018, 07:44 PM

Garage
When I had stock injectors I could only only hit 1250 with php 140 extreme with zero smoke

Billet compressor wheel really helps as well

Bill at php wrote those edge tunes circa 2003-2004. They are old

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4 279k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B, 4" Exhaust, Van Turbo w/Riffraff Billet Wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built trans, 08 Tow Mirrors, Trucool Max.

Dad- 2000 F250 7.3 4x4 124k Autometer Gauges, Superchips 1705 (Tow Safe), K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, BD Billet Wheel, Trucool Max, Modified VB, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #16 of 22 Old 12-14-2018, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Got my hydra installed today. The tunes drive nice but definitely not 'zero smoke'. The 100 and 120 tunes smoke pretty good if I mash the pedal. Have not had a chance to haul the camper yet.
doubleslottedflaps likes this.

2002 F350, 7.3l, CCLB, WW2, HPOP crossover, Coolant bypass filter, ATF inline filter, 4" exhaust, afe intake with AIS, 4" lift, 35's, Hellwig Big Wig F/R, Rancho900XLs, Firestone bags, PHP Hydra.
post #17 of 22 Old 12-15-2018, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
When I had stock injectors I could only only hit 1250 with php 140 extreme with zero smoke

Billet compressor wheel really helps as well

Bill at php wrote those edge tunes circa 2003-2004. They are old
The tunes are old but so is the engine. Nothing's changed on the engines in the last 16 years so I don't buy the argument from the new tuners that the PHP tunes are "old". Nothing against the newer tuners -I'm sure their tunes are fine- but I see this more as marketing than a true benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-Surfer View Post
Got my hydra installed today. The tunes drive nice but definitely not 'zero smoke'. The 100 and 120 tunes smoke pretty good if I mash the pedal. Have not had a chance to haul the camper yet.
Zero smoke is definitely and exaggeration and is asking for a lot for a diesel from this era. But driving normally around town, I have never seen smoke. I do get soot on my bedside (stupid white trucks) but nothing visible. My friend with a Cummins is throwing smoke with light throttle from a stop light. But smoke when mashing the pedal is pretty much unavoidable.

2000 ECLB 4x4 7.3L PSD - Converted from a beat up XL farm truck and frame off restored thanks to New England road salt
Cosmetic: 05 Harley front end, 11 tailgate, black sport full power interior, 05 dash with aux switches and brake controller
Performance: AFE intake, SPX billet compressor wheel, Turbomaster wastegate, blank pedestal & exhaust housing, MBRP 5" exhaust, PHP Hydra, gauges and CTS2
Audio: Sony XAV-AX5000, JBL Club speakers, fully sound deadened

post #18 of 22 Old 12-15-2018, 08:19 AM

Garage
You misunderstood me Dan

The edge tunes are quite old. The php tunes you get on a hydra are much newer. Even the old super chips my dad uses has bills tunes from the early 2000’s

It’s all about airflow. With all the little mods I would get zero smoke out the tailpipe once the turbo lit.

She would spin to 30 psi in a heartbeat and be smoke free. It does help having an auto
Lt.Dan likes this.

post #19 of 22 Old 12-15-2018, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Good to know that smoke is normal. I mean, I can drive the 120hp tune without smoke just fine, but if I mash the pedal....well...thereís old dinosaurs coming out the tailpipe. Iíll save that for the Prius drivers and the little thugs with the rice burners. :-)
Have not had it out on the open road yet to see how boost reacts and how she goes under load. Going over the hill today so will get a chance to see how it does on a steep grade.

What are you all seeing for boost? Before I was seeing max 15 on the tune I had. Iíll be curious to see what I get now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
doubleslottedflaps likes this.

post #20 of 22 Old 12-15-2018, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Garage
With my old PHP Tunes(Only 2016 but i changed the injectors since then) in my 140 i could throw my share of smoke. I had a "Van Turbo" so it was more of a top end turbo but before 2k-2,200 i was over 25 PSI. Fast forward to now with my 180s, under 2k is a dooooooog. i have tunes from 1*23 and not to bad mouth him but i hate them. the power is lower than stock injectors in a 100hp until 2k. Once at 2,000 RPMs you can see it now has fuel and will puff and then spool. The bottom end fueling is absolutely non existent on the "street shredder". Granted, i have PMR's and tuners try to be safe with that but PHP tunes and stock injectors would defiantly beat me off the line every time.

Thats just my .02 but i know others that agree 100% so thats my story and i'm sticking to it.

180/30s,KC38R, CNC Fab Stg 2 HPOP, Sump, Walbro, Donaldson 6637, Leveled, 4'' straight to 7'' tip, 08 mirrors, 6.0 front end ect...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode