• 1 Post By RichCotte

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-05-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Complete Truck Refurbish?

I'm sure there are posts about what I'm looking for, but I haven't found them yet. I'm going to keep searching, but any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for someone that specializes in completely refurbishing Super Duties. I found a place in Houston TX, several years ago, but can't locate them anymore.

Does anyone know of any shops that can do complete, bumper to bumper refurbs? West of the Mississippi is preferred, but can be out east as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-12-2018, 08:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
To what level are you looking to restore it to? Why are you seeking this route over buying something newer?

I basically did this to my truck (in paint as we speak), and unless you're doing the work yourself, you're in for a hell of a bill. I have about $20k into mine and 2 years worth of work taking the time to find the best deals on everything. If I had just asked a shop to take care of it, I'd estimate I'd be in the $35k range.

Powerstroke Specialty in Buford, GA will sell you fully restored trucks in the $30k range. They are near always 6.0s with high miles or salvage titles but completely gone through. This is Bill Hewitt of powerstrokehelp.com who does these - some people think he's a crackpot but I still bet he's one of the most knowledgeable guys on these trucks out there. The work he does is pretty comprehensive and I doubt you could do it yourself much cheaper
7.3_TurboDiesel likes this.

2000 ECLB 4x4 7.3L PSD - Converted from a beat up XL farm truck and frame off restored thanks to New England road salt
Cosmetic: 05 Harley front end, 11 tailgate, black sport full power interior, 05 dash with aux switches and brake controller
Performance: AFE intake, SPX billet compressor wheel, Turbomaster wastegate, blank pedestal & exhaust housing, MBRP 5" exhaust, PHP Hydra, gauges and CTS2
Audio: Sony XAV-AX5000, JBL Club speakers, fully sound deadened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 10-12-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

LT Dan,

I’m looking to do a complete mechanical refurb. I have the skill, but not the time. I’ll be redoing interior myself and have a good body guy for my repaint. I need a solid shop to go through the engine, drive train and frame for me.

My reasoning is I want a bomb proof 7.3L ranch work truck that will last as long as I plan to work. I can’t stand the 6.0s & 6.4s and don’t want to dump the $$$ for a 6.7 that will only be a work truck.

The truck’s already made 370k, I’d like to make Sure it’s still running at 1M or when I retire to the rocking chair. Whichever comes first 🤠.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
To what level are you looking to restore it to? Why are you seeking this route over buying something newer?

I basically did this to my truck (in paint as we speak), and unless you're doing the work yourself, you're in for a hell of a bill. I have about $20k into mine and 2 years worth of work taking the time to find the best deals on everything. If I had just asked a shop to take care of it, I'd estimate I'd be in the $35k range.

Powerstroke Specialty in Buford, GA will sell you fully restored trucks in the $30k range. They are near always 6.0s with high miles or salvage titles but completely gone through. This is Bill Hewitt of powerstrokehelp.com who does these - some people think he's a crackpot but I still bet he's one of the most knowledgeable guys on these trucks out there. The work he does is pretty comprehensive and I doubt you could do it yourself much cheaper
7.3_TurboDiesel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-12-2018, 08:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Honestly you'd be amazed at what a basic hand tool set and some work will do.

-You can re seal your fuel bowl and rebuild your fuel pressure regulator for about $100 bucks and a few hours (solves 90% fuel leaks)

-rebuild turbo and replace exterior o rings on pedestal for about $150 and a few hours (soles most rear engine o leaks)

-replace o rings on oil cooler $70 and couple hours

-replace leaky hpop lines $130 from cnc fav few hours and only need basic hand tools still

-replace coolant hoses $60 30 minutes

*most leaks are not related to the hpop itselt but the items above

*fuel lines don't usually leak in the engine bay but basic hand tools

anything else like water pump, belts, can be done at home.

about the only super serious repair and restoration would be the engine oil pan because most times you remove the engine. (some can undo engine mounts, cut cross memebers and replace but serious).

a couple special tools for front and rear axel oil seals to keep gear oil from hitting front/rear wheel bearings but front wheel bearings come in hub assembly units super easy to replace etc. u joints and ball joints at home unless you have a buddy with a press etc.

you can do 90% of the big stuff at home with help from a buddy and save a ton!

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #5 of 7 Old 10-12-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Couldn’t agree more. I have the tools and the skill, just lack the time. For me, it’s more valuable to pay someone a reasonable price to do the work for me. Even if it means being without the truck for a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
Honestly you'd be amazed at what a basic hand tool set and some work will do.

-You can re seal your fuel bowl and rebuild your fuel pressure regulator for about $100 bucks and a few hours (solves 90% fuel leaks)

-rebuild turbo and replace exterior o rings on pedestal for about $150 and a few hours (soles most rear engine o leaks)

-replace o rings on oil cooler $70 and couple hours

-replace leaky hpop lines $130 from cnc fav few hours and only need basic hand tools still

-replace coolant hoses $60 30 minutes

*most leaks are not related to the hpop itselt but the items above

*fuel lines don't usually leak in the engine bay but basic hand tools

anything else like water pump, belts, can be done at home.

about the only super serious repair and restoration would be the engine oil pan because most times you remove the engine. (some can undo engine mounts, cut cross memebers and replace but serious).

a couple special tools for front and rear axel oil seals to keep gear oil from hitting front/rear wheel bearings but front wheel bearings come in hub assembly units super easy to replace etc. u joints and ball joints at home unless you have a buddy with a press etc.

you can do 90% of the big stuff at home with help from a buddy and save a ton!
post #6 of 7 Old 10-12-2018, 03:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Baker diesel in northern Utah has a good reputation here. I wouldn’t call them a Powerstroke specialty shop but just a good general diesel shop. Not sure how close you are to salt lake area

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Sold—2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

post #7 of 7 Old 10-15-2018, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,125 Times in 2,033 Posts
Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Quoted: 3138 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Call PSE houston.

Welcome to Power Stroke Enginuities

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode