Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   99-03 7.3L General Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-general-discussion/)
-   -   Complete Truck Refurbish? (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-general-discussion/1350839-complete-truck-refurbish.html)

RichCotte 10-05-2018 11:42 AM

Complete Truck Refurbish?

I'm sure there are posts about what I'm looking for, but I haven't found them yet. I'm going to keep searching, but any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for someone that specializes in completely refurbishing Super Duties. I found a place in Houston TX, several years ago, but can't locate them anymore.

Does anyone know of any shops that can do complete, bumper to bumper refurbs? West of the Mississippi is preferred, but can be out east as well.

Lt.Dan 10-12-2018 08:04 AM

To what level are you looking to restore it to? Why are you seeking this route over buying something newer?

I basically did this to my truck (in paint as we speak), and unless you're doing the work yourself, you're in for a hell of a bill. I have about $20k into mine and 2 years worth of work taking the time to find the best deals on everything. If I had just asked a shop to take care of it, I'd estimate I'd be in the $35k range.

Powerstroke Specialty in Buford, GA will sell you fully restored trucks in the $30k range. They are near always 6.0s with high miles or salvage titles but completely gone through. This is Bill Hewitt of powerstrokehelp.com who does these - some people think he's a crackpot but I still bet he's one of the most knowledgeable guys on these trucks out there. The work he does is pretty comprehensive and I doubt you could do it yourself much cheaper

RichCotte 10-12-2018 08:33 AM

LT Dan,

I’m looking to do a complete mechanical refurb. I have the skill, but not the time. I’ll be redoing interior myself and have a good body guy for my repaint. I need a solid shop to go through the engine, drive train and frame for me.

My reasoning is I want a bomb proof 7.3L ranch work truck that will last as long as I plan to work. I can’t stand the 6.0s & 6.4s and don’t want to dump the $$$ for a 6.7 that will only be a work truck.

The truck’s already made 370k, I’d like to make Sure it’s still running at 1M or when I retire to the rocking chair. Whichever comes first 🤠.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lt.Dan (Post 16173015)
To what level are you looking to restore it to? Why are you seeking this route over buying something newer?

I basically did this to my truck (in paint as we speak), and unless you're doing the work yourself, you're in for a hell of a bill. I have about $20k into mine and 2 years worth of work taking the time to find the best deals on everything. If I had just asked a shop to take care of it, I'd estimate I'd be in the $35k range.

Powerstroke Specialty in Buford, GA will sell you fully restored trucks in the $30k range. They are near always 6.0s with high miles or salvage titles but completely gone through. This is Bill Hewitt of powerstrokehelp.com who does these - some people think he's a crackpot but I still bet he's one of the most knowledgeable guys on these trucks out there. The work he does is pretty comprehensive and I doubt you could do it yourself much cheaper

JustinOOO9 10-12-2018 08:34 AM

Honestly you'd be amazed at what a basic hand tool set and some work will do.

-You can re seal your fuel bowl and rebuild your fuel pressure regulator for about $100 bucks and a few hours (solves 90% fuel leaks)

-rebuild turbo and replace exterior o rings on pedestal for about $150 and a few hours (soles most rear engine o leaks)

-replace o rings on oil cooler $70 and couple hours

-replace leaky hpop lines $130 from cnc fav few hours and only need basic hand tools still

-replace coolant hoses $60 30 minutes

*most leaks are not related to the hpop itselt but the items above

*fuel lines don't usually leak in the engine bay but basic hand tools

anything else like water pump, belts, can be done at home.

about the only super serious repair and restoration would be the engine oil pan because most times you remove the engine. (some can undo engine mounts, cut cross memebers and replace but serious).

a couple special tools for front and rear axel oil seals to keep gear oil from hitting front/rear wheel bearings but front wheel bearings come in hub assembly units super easy to replace etc. u joints and ball joints at home unless you have a buddy with a press etc.

you can do 90% of the big stuff at home with help from a buddy and save a ton!

RichCotte 10-12-2018 01:25 PM

Couldn’t agree more. I have the tools and the skill, just lack the time. For me, it’s more valuable to pay someone a reasonable price to do the work for me. Even if it means being without the truck for a few months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 (Post 16173033)
Honestly you'd be amazed at what a basic hand tool set and some work will do.

-You can re seal your fuel bowl and rebuild your fuel pressure regulator for about $100 bucks and a few hours (solves 90% fuel leaks)

-rebuild turbo and replace exterior o rings on pedestal for about $150 and a few hours (soles most rear engine o leaks)

-replace o rings on oil cooler $70 and couple hours

-replace leaky hpop lines $130 from cnc fav few hours and only need basic hand tools still

-replace coolant hoses $60 30 minutes

*most leaks are not related to the hpop itselt but the items above

*fuel lines don't usually leak in the engine bay but basic hand tools

anything else like water pump, belts, can be done at home.

about the only super serious repair and restoration would be the engine oil pan because most times you remove the engine. (some can undo engine mounts, cut cross memebers and replace but serious).

a couple special tools for front and rear axel oil seals to keep gear oil from hitting front/rear wheel bearings but front wheel bearings come in hub assembly units super easy to replace etc. u joints and ball joints at home unless you have a buddy with a press etc.

you can do 90% of the big stuff at home with help from a buddy and save a ton!

cletusjermal 10-12-2018 03:14 PM

Baker diesel in northern Utah has a good reputation here. I wouldnít call them a Powerstroke specialty shop but just a good general diesel shop. Not sure how close you are to salt lake area

Heavy_GD 10-15-2018 05:53 AM