1999 f250 cruise control won't work - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-10-2018, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1999 f250 cruise control won't work

New to the forums, I hope this is in the right place.

I have a 1999 f250 7.3l 4r100 4x4 with a ts 6 position tuner. I have been fighting my cruise control since I bought this truck (almost 4 years). I have cleaned and checked the speed sensor and the speedometer reads fine on the dash and at the edge monitor. The brake lights work fine, on/off when they are supposed to. I have replaced the pressure switch on the master cylinder. I have also replaced the cruise control switches on the steering wheel and the clock spring. Still nothing at all, cruise does not even attempt to work. the only other thing I found is the connector on the parking brake switch is loose and doesn't stay connected. I am completely stumped. The only thing that I could find in the schematics that I haven't tried is the PCM. I am sure there is something I have missed. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-10-2018, 05:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
There was a recall for this year for the cruise control. Do you know if it was completed on your vehicle?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-10-2018, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you are talking about the wiring issue that was causing fires, then yes it has been done. Is there another recall besides that one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-10-2018, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Yes that was the recall i was referring to.
Possible sources of speed control not working;
Actuator cable not attached to throttle
Fuse
Circuitry
Deactivator switch
Brake pedal position switch
Speed control activator switch
GEM/CTM if vehicle has rear antilock
Or Anti lock brake module if 4 wheel abs
Speed control servo
Clutch pedal position switch or jumper
post #5 of 7 Old 09-10-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, that's a pretty good list. I wish I had asked before the weekend, it will be about two weeks before I get a chance to look at it again. So, if I have a problem with anti lock brakes, would I necessarily get an ABS light or would that fault not activate the light.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-10-2018, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
I've never seen anyone mention this, nor have I had trouble with it on my 99 but the "recall fix" was an add-on harness at the brake cyl switch that contains two very low amperage fuses. If one of those fuses is blown, the cruise won't engage. Check the add-on harness with a VOM for continuity. Unplug it from the main, original harness. Check the two pins for 0-Ohms with brake pedal up, Infinite Ohms with pedal pressed.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-10-2018, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimadams91268 View Post
So, if I have a problem with anti lock brakes, would I necessarily get an ABS light or would that fault not activate the light.
The ABS module processes the speed signal from the rear differential, and sends the signal on to the Speedometer, GEM, PCM. If the PCM is not receiving VSS from the ABS it will set P0500, and the Overdrive Indicator will flash. If the raw signal from the diff is not reaching the ABS, the ABS light will come on, and the cruise will drop out if it was engaged. (I went through this two years ago on a cross country trip. The last 500 miles were with a jankey diff sensor. Cruise would quit and ABS light come on. When ABS light went out, I could re engage cruise for another 10-15 miles until it did it again).

Keep in mind that the PCM does NOT use the VSS signal from the ABS for transmission control. It uses the transmission mounted speed sensors. So VSS problems that may be affecting cruise, won't show up as transmission shift-timing problems. Even with P0500 set, transmission operation is normal. Had this happen to me too.

And don't look for the "cruise actuator" or "throttle cable" on the list above. Diesels don't have that stuff. Only the gassers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode