LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-27-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Windshield wiper woes

I try to use my wipers as little as possible because they don't quite work like they should. I've googled it to death and see a lot of similar problems but no solutions that don't involve a rabbit hole of replaced parts with no results. If I turn on intermittent they will stop halfway and stay there till I turn them off. If I use the washer fluid then they don't turn off for 10-20 minutes, sometimes they won't turn off till truck is keyed off. High/low work fine.
I'm leaning towards the multi switch on the column but wanted to solicit some wisdom from the org before I do a lot of potentially unnecessary work. I have seen recall for this in 2k's but nothing for e99's

1999 F250 Supercrew LB
MBRP 4" straight pipe
S&B
PHP Hydra
Edge Insight CTS2
Sweet IH Steering knob (adds at least 1000HP)

"I have never bought anything with money. Everything I have was bought with pieces of time I sold from my life to a job that will never have paid enough when my time is up."

Spem Successus Alit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-27-2018, 11:46 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
most of the time its the mechanism inside the rotating switch on the column. I would just start with basics, check the fuse(s) related to wipers and washer pump, check relays if they are on the same wire, check the wires on everything. Usually just replacing the switch/column assembly works. Im heading that way myself. one a rare occasion I get my wipers not turning off until I rotate the switch back and fourth couple times etc.

verify the part is the same for yours but for my 1999 this is the part im most likely getting if it acts up one more time.

https://www.1aauto.com/1999-ford-f25...c/1999-2162-74

It may not be OEM but a few others had good luck with that particular dorman part. I had terrible luck with the dorman vacuum pump on my ac but that was the past. I actually have some Dorman parts on comutter cars for 7 years plus with no issues etc.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."

Last edited by JustinOOO9; 07-27-2018 at 11:51 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustinOOO9 For This Useful Post:
Buckhornmike (07-27-2018)
post #3 of 18 Old 07-27-2018, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
The switch is worn. Only replaced one set of motors. Rest were switches and wiring issues etc.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...
The Following User Says Thank You to DieselDC For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-27-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the replies fellas! I'll put some due diligence in with checking associated relays wiring and such. Thanks for the part link! I'll post up on the fix so there will be more content for people to search with same problem.

1999 F250 Supercrew LB
MBRP 4" straight pipe
S&B
PHP Hydra
Edge Insight CTS2

"I have never bought anything with money. Everything I have was bought with pieces of time I sold from my life to a job that will never have paid enough when my time is up."

Spem Successus Alit

post #5 of 18 Old 07-27-2018, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
There are three relays for the wipers. One of them is "Park/Run" and would be the one that would not allow the motor to stop. All three are in the under hood fuse box. Substitute the Park/Run relay with one of the others.

The relays are controlled by the GEM, which is on the back of the under dash fuse box. If there is corrosion on terminals and connections causing resistive connections, this would be a good place for it to crop up.

The stalk switch is an input to the GEM. Very low current circuit. Again, any corrosion on the GEM or under dash fuse box connections may affect operation.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP. For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 18 Old 07-27-2018, 03:20 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP. View Post
There are three relays for the wipers. One of them is "Park/Run" and would be the one that would not allow the motor to stop. All three are in the under hood fuse box. Substitute the Park/Run relay with one of the others.

The relays are controlled by the GEM, which is on the back of the under dash fuse box. If there is corrosion on terminals and connections causing resistive connections, this would be a good place for it to crop up.

The stalk switch is an input to the GEM. Very low current circuit. Again, any corrosion on the GEM or under dash fuse box connections may affect operation.
never mind I got confused.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #7 of 18 Old 07-27-2018, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
never mind I got confused.

Gem 99-01
Vsm 02-03

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DieselDC For This Useful Post:
JustinOOO9 (07-27-2018)
post #8 of 18 Old 07-27-2018, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDC View Post
Gem 99-01 vsm 02-03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhornmike View Post
I have seen recall for this in 2k's but nothing for e99's
I read the guy's post and responded with info for a 99.

I don't think the wipers are in the VSM in a VSM truck. I don't have a VSM, so I don't know or care. Neither does the OP in this thread. (It wouldn't surprise me if the wipers are in the cluster in a VSM truck. Many of the other GEM functions are.)
post #9 of 18 Old 07-27-2018, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dang! Plethora of knowledge here, I like learning. I appreciate everyone's info. I'll give it a good going through tomorrow and let y'all know what I come up with

1999 F250 Supercrew LB
MBRP 4" straight pipe
S&B
PHP Hydra
Edge Insight CTS2

Spem Successus Alit

post #10 of 18 Old 07-28-2018, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So I started under the hood with relays and swapped 33 with 35, no change in operation. Looked behind fuse panel and found something interesting covering the 2 connection blocks

So I removed the fuse panel, 2 10 mm bolts, 2 10mm nuts for mounting and 2 10mm bolts holding fuse panel blocks (removed blocks first).

Removed two connectors on left side of panel/ module, remove top first then move panel to where you can reach the bottom one easier

This is what I found

For the fuse blocks I plan to gently clean the connections and very lightly apply dielectric grease with a small acid brush to the top half of the blades. The circuit board looked pretty good I think showing no dark/burned spots or corrosion. Will reinstall and moved on.

1999 F250 Supercrew LB
MBRP 4" straight pipe
S&B
PHP Hydra
Edge Insight CTS2

Spem Successus Alit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode