1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-05-2018, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do I need a FRONT sway bar?

This seems easily searchable, but I can't seem to find a concrete answer, and many threads end up referring to the rear sway bar anyway.

The truck- Stock height 2000 F-250 7.3 on 20" platinum wheels and E rated 275/65R20s. X spring/ snow plow package, it has 4 leafs in the front.

Currently there is no sway bar, links or anything. Just a dual steering stabilizer for some reason. I've read that the four leaf springs in the front end combined with the weight of a 7.3 negate any need or use for a sway bar, but I'm still torn. The truck feels fine and doesn't feel unstable, but I know I need ball joints and the shocks need to be done. The steering could definitely be tighter, but I haven't driven enough leaf spring super dutys to decide if it is fine or not. I was told by someone else that it feels tight, but it's still wandery to me.

Do I:

-Find a sway bar on craigslist or at a junkyard and go back to stock, or buy a new one etc... could be $400 total

-Spend the money on bilstein 5100s on all four corners, ball joints, and a new single steering stabilizer, ignoring the sway bar

I keep going back and forth on this one... I have to think that someone removed it for a reason right? I'd hate to spend all the time, effort, and money to put a new setup on to find that it actually does nothing for my truck.

2016 Ford F-350 Platinum 6.7
-All stock (for now)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Ford F-250 4x4 CCSB Lariat 7.3 Auto
-2013 Platinum Wheels
-CAI
-4" Downpipe, CAT Delete
-AIH delete, gutted fuel bowl
-Superchips Tow-perf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-05-2018, 08:36 AM

Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,766 Posts
Mentioned: 704 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
sway bars combat side to side sway not sloppy steering

if your happy with your truck now and the way it corners then leave it be

if you feel it leans in too much cornering then give a sway bar a go

leaf springs do not negate the need for sway bars, virtually all real trucks have rear leafs and sway bars can combat sway in those vehicles if they have a cab and chassis or haul top heavy loads in the bed

personally, I have aftermarket sway bars on both the front and rear because I haul a top-heavy camper

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-05-2018, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Short answer:
The sway bar will help with wander. Grab a junkyard bar and brackets with new bushings. Obviously fixing broken suspension parts will help.

Long answer:

The main reason folks ditch the anti-swaybar is to increase suspension travel for off road. It is a torsion spring tying the opposing ends of the axle together with the frame. When you turn the weight of the truck is put on the inside wheel, equal and opposite reaction is weight is lifted off of your outside wheel. Then when you come out of the turn than tension in the leaf springs needs to return to equilibrium and you get body roll. In @ZMANN instance the extra wight up high compounds the back and forth action of the suspension equalizing, so more sway bars more better.

The sway bar in effect pushes the opposing side of the axle down in the turn and pulls the truck body down with it. On the flip side when you hit a bump the bar transfers that energy to the other wheel. Again the bar also limits the amount of travel in the axle(rock crawling).

Shocks will help reduce the spring bounce effect, but without a sway bar they are working harder.

Personal Truck/Heavy Hauler 12 F350 XL 4x4 DRW CCLB 3.73 LSD Black
Shop built headache rack, tie downs, and knock down ladder rack, Tread plate bed mat, Airbags, Cheapo light bar, bug screen on the grill, transfer tank w/ pump and racor filter, shimmed overloads, CTS, X4 Tyrant tunes, Full Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
Durapig you win the internets today hahahaha

Just because your not paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-05-2018, 09:31 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Generally for the front sway bar to come on the 99-2003 you need the camper/tow package. My truck has front/rear sway bars, overload spring, and a taller rear block. along with factory trailer wire harness and limited slip. if your truck didn't come as a camper and or tow package more than likely your truck never had it.

I kept mine one because it helps with sway a lot when towing a cab over in bed camper or pulling the trailers. I know tons of people who never used/had one and truck handled fine. Like other said it wont help with sloppy steering just sway of the truck on corners etc.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #5 of 13 Old 04-05-2018, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Sway bar is actually an anti lean bar. When you go around curves and corners it reduced leaning of the vehicle. I highly recommend it be on there.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-05-2018, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Driving the truck down a straight level road 40-60 mph and firmly grasping the steering wheel at 10 & 2 turn your wheel back and forth so your at 9 & 1 then 11 & 3 as if your wife is trying to drink a soda or the kids are f'ing around in the back seat. You will fell the truck slow to respond to steering input, i.e. the truck will still be leaning left as you turn right and so forth. Obviously don't risk you or someone else's life doing this test.

A sway bar will get rid of this and make it feel "sportier". If this is tighter steering then a sway bar will give you that.

If your going off roading every weekend then it will get in the way.
BigRed0202 likes this.

Personal Truck/Heavy Hauler 12 F350 XL 4x4 DRW CCLB 3.73 LSD Black
Shop built headache rack, tie downs, and knock down ladder rack, Tread plate bed mat, Airbags, Cheapo light bar, bug screen on the grill, transfer tank w/ pump and racor filter, shimmed overloads, CTS, X4 Tyrant tunes, Full Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
Durapig you win the internets today hahahaha

Just because your not paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you...
post #7 of 13 Old 04-05-2018, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
I think a lot take off the sway bar because the bushings wear out and they hear a fluttering then a flopping noise when going over bumps as it gets worse. I did, kept mine and plan to put it back on with a new PST poly kit in the next couple of weeks because my shocks are getting done too. Should help with lean, some wander, and my overall ride, but it will not take "play" out of the steering wheel. For that, look at the threads on gently tightening the steering box, or replacing it.

2002 F-250 LARIAT CCSB 7.3 AUTO 4X4 28X,XXX
2018 EXPEDITION XLT 3.5 TURBO 4X2
2004 EXPLORER XLT 4.0 AUTO 2WD 15X,XXX
1966 MUSTANG COUPE 289 4 brl V8

IN-LAWS...
2018 F-150 XLT SPORT CREW 5.0 4X2
2004 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 4.0 4X2 100,XXX
2004 F-250 RCLB 6.0 AUTO 4X2 38X,XXX
2005 F-250 RCLB 6.0 AUTO 4x2 36X,XXX

SOLD... 3 RANGERS, 3 F-150s, 3 F-250s, 96 COUGAR 4.6, 99 EXPEDITION 5.4, 65 66 AND 69 MUSTANGS

RE-ASSIGNED... MULTIPLE FORD POLICE INTERCEPTORS

post #8 of 13 Old 04-05-2018, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durapig Eater View Post
Driving the truck down a straight level road 40-60 mph and firmly grasping the steering wheel at 10 & 2 turn your wheel back and forth so your at 9 & 1 then 11 & 3 as if your wife is trying to drink a soda or the kids are f'ing around in the back seat. You will fell the truck slow to respond to steering input, i.e. the truck will still be leaning left as you turn right and so forth. Obviously don't risk you or someone else's life doing this test.

A sway bar will get rid of this and make it feel "sportier". If this is tighter steering then a sway bar will give you that.

If your going off roading every weekend then it will get in the way.

Great explanation
Those true blues add disconnects for those wild weekends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 13 Old 04-05-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Thanks for the answers everyone. Honestly guys the truck feels perfectly stable... cornering and responsiveness is great, but I can’t explain just how stiff the front end is with the x springs... she’s very stout.

Unless I can find one for next to nothing, I may end up going with a redhead. I mostly am annoyed with the slight clunk on bumps (ball joints), a tiny amount of passenger side bump steer, and the “sawing” I do with the steering wheel. The 10 and 2test mentioned does absolutely nothing, because I have that much play even after cranking down the steering box a half turn

2016 Ford F-350 Platinum 6.7
-All stock (for now)

2000 Ford F-250 4x4 CCSB Lariat 7.3 Auto
-2013 Platinum Wheels
-CAI
-4" Downpipe, CAT Delete
-AIH delete, gutted fuel bowl
-Superchips Tow-perf
post #10 of 13 Old 04-06-2018, 03:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmfinley93 View Post
Thanks for the answers everyone. Honestly guys the truck feels perfectly stable... cornering and responsiveness is great, but I can’t explain just how stiff the front end is with the x springs... she’s very stout.

Unless I can find one for next to nothing, I may end up going with a redhead. I mostly am annoyed with the slight clunk on bumps (ball joints), a tiny amount of passenger side bump steer, and the “sawing” I do with the steering wheel. The 10 and 2test mentioned does absolutely nothing, because I have that much play even after cranking down the steering box a half turn

I considered buying a redhead, i had the same problem
The price was the deciding factor
I ended up going with a NAPA reman
Not awesome but a great improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode