post #11 of 55 Old 03-30-2018, 03:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The way i see it is
2 batteries connected parallel
12-14V system voltage
If the starter draws 200A to get moving, then that load is split between the 2 batteries. The only difference would be the DC resistance of the positive cable that connects the passenger side battery
That gives that battery less available current to apply to the load itself. That equates to more current applied to the load via the drivers battery. Keep in mind the current lost in the resistance mentioned still flows, itís just lost to heat
I agree thereís no need for rotation, and definitely not a need to replace cabling for maintenance.
I personally swapped my cables because, like the previous post mentioned, the connections were boogered up by the previous owner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
doubleslottedflaps and DaveP. like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 55 Old 03-30-2018, 06:14 AM

Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,743 Posts
Mentioned: 674 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post

My last suggestion with these trucks is: get yourself a 190 amp minimum alternator for your truck. Its never a bad thing.
and if you talk to your other "neighbors "they will say that larger alternator will burn up your glowplugs

i don't talk to my neighbors anymore
SparkyF250, BigRed0202 and v8deuce like this.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 55 Old 03-30-2018, 06:19 AM
DieselDC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
and if you talk to your other "neighbors "they will say that larger alternator will burn up your glowplugs

Lol this had me going in the AM

SparkyF250 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 55 Old 03-30-2018, 11:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed0202 View Post
That equates to more current applied to the load via the drivers battery. Keep in mind the current lost in the resistance mentioned still flows, itís just lost to heat.
Thank you for this post. It made me think. The obvious is that the Passenger battery supplies more of the load, but you are 100% correct: The DRIVER battery supplies 1/2 the starter current PLUS the losses from the interconnecting cable.

I don't worry about rotation or cabling, or anything else. The batteries will equalize when either the charging or starter current decreases. When one begins to die, the other will take up the slack until the two of them can no longer supply the load. I AM a believer in replacing batteries that are connected in parallel as a pair. Never individually except temporarily.

My biggest consideration to battery life is dealing with the parasitic draws that all these trucks seem to have. My 99 is not driven for weeks, sometimes months at a time. After dead batteries and replacing them on 18 month intervals because they didn't live very long lives being dead all the time, I installed an on-board 5-amp battery charger. I keep it plugged in if I don't anticipate driving it for at least a week. Battery life is now 4+ years. And it ALWAYS starts when I need it to.
five0merc and BigRed0202 like this.
post #15 of 55 Old 03-30-2018, 11:34 AM
DieselDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP. View Post
Thank you for this post. It made me think. The obvious is that the Passenger battery supplies more of the load, but you are 100% correct: The DRIVER battery supplies 1/2 the starter current PLUS the losses from the interconnecting cable.

I don't worry about rotation or cabling, or anything else. The batteries will equalize when either the charging or starter current decreases. When one begins to die, the other will take up the slack until the two of them can no longer supply the load. I AM a believer in replacing batteries that are connected in parallel as a pair. Never individually except temporarily.

My biggest consideration to battery life is dealing with the parasitic draws that all these trucks seem to have. My 99 is not driven for weeks, sometimes months at a time. After dead batteries and replacing them on 18 month intervals because they didn't live very long lives being dead all the time, I installed an on-board 5-amp battery charger. I keep it plugged in if I don't anticipate driving it for at least a week. Battery life is now 4+ years. And it ALWAYS starts when I need it to.

While weíre off subject here a little...

Iíve saved a few batteries with my noco G15000 15amp charger. Most recent was a 2013 e350 battery and a Maserati that the neighbor was going to chuck the battery.

I use nothing but yellow tops. All the top tier batteries never service longer than 2-2.5yrs for me. I have a set since 2011 and itís still strong. Another is since 2008 still in use.

I bought another exact one to pair it up to the old one and will be installing them in my 4x4 when I get a chance (thatís if Iím not ripping it apart for a project). I try to replace in pairs but sometimes the dice falls as they will and I take it as what it is.

mhatlen likes this.
post #16 of 55 Old 03-30-2018, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
My neighbor asked me why I would ever buy a diesel
post #17 of 55 Old 03-30-2018, 02:10 PM
DieselDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmfinley93 View Post
My neighbor asked me why I would ever buy a diesel

B/c your left nut says so. Same with all the useless upgrades we do - same answer.

post #18 of 55 Old 03-30-2018, 03:23 PM
Fuel it up again Dummy

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post

I remember the post very well but I do not recall the name. Only that its a shame the fella got so cross about that. Was all for not being hes no longer with us after the poor guy was crushed by the sky falling the next day.

Or was it a exploding glow plug........either way hes bye bye. Fricken Yahoo Potsy anyways

Dammit I must have missed my Geritol again this morning.
SparkyF250 likes this.

2006 F250 LARIAT CCSB 4X4
6.0 Diesel w/80K 6/19

ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads
Stage I KC Turbo 10V
DC Power 270XP Die Hards
6.4 Starter, BPD Waterpump
FASS 125 Titanium w/Adj. Press Reg
3Ē CAC Pipes & CSF 7106 I.C.
4Ē Diamond Eye SS Exh System
W/ Magnaflow & Diamond Eye mufflers.
IPR Coolant filter w/ Manifold
CAT EC-1 coolant
SCT X4 ECM Rollback & PHP Tunes
100HP Hercules & 65HP Tow Tune
Icon/Deaver Suspension
Toyo M/T 38/15.50/18
1,000lbs or more other crap too
post #19 of 55 Old 03-30-2018, 04:34 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP. View Post
This is my cure to those parasitic draws:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/pow...our-truck.html

My truck sits for a week or two at a time. With solar, I installed my mentioned system and haven't touched it ever since. Flawless. Stretched my old lead acid batteries for a few more years. Just switched to AGMs last year. Curious to see how many years I get with this mod.
five0merc likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 7.3L
Pro Comp 6.5" Lift
Pro Comp 16x10 Alloys
35x12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Sky Jacker Hydro 7000 Steering Stabilizers
K&N CAI JUNKED For A 6637
Straight Piped Dual 4"
Jasper 4R100 (Rebuilt in '05)
Tru-Cool Max
Dieselsite Coolant/Trans Filters
ISSPRO EV2 (Boost, EGT, Trans)
Centramatics
EBPV Switch
'07 Headlight Conversion
Foil Delete
Zoodad
Monitoring with Torque
post #20 of 55 Old 03-30-2018, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
I've thought about solar. When it's in the yard, (where I normally store it) it is in the sun, and close to an outlet so I can plug it in. When it's in the street in front of my house (keeps the hood-rats from parking there, and the teenies from bangin' at night and throwing their condems in the gutter), but alas each house has a 75 year old Italian Stone Pine that canopies the entire block. So there's always shade over the street. So solar won't work. And it's why our street is so attractive to the teenies at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode