15*vs17* - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-05-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
15*vs17*

Let me start by saying im new to diesels and im try to learn as i work on my 99 f350, so please bare with me.

Is there a way to tell if I have a 15* or 17* hpop by looking? I was told by the previous owner that the motor was out of a 98 truck (truck was running and driving after swap). The fuel bowl isn't bolted down and the hpop reservoir doesn't have the holes in it for the fuel bowl bolt to go through. But the truck won't start right now and someone has been in it messing with a bunch of stuff and I'm wondering if they didn't put a older style 94-97 reservoir on a 99 hpop and if that could be part of my issue, which is I'm not showing any icp pressure,

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-06-2018, 05:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Have you tried disconnecting the ICP sensor connector. Check if their is oil in it? The PCM will then default to 725 HPOP psi. It should start with that. Have you checked how much oil is in the reservoir? All superdutyies had a 17 degree HPOP. That being said, it will run fine if someone put a 15 degree unit on it. At this point I would suspect the IPR; get one from a salvage yard or rebuild it. If it starts then? I would buy a motorcraft IPR to install and keep the salvage unit for an emergency spare.

If it dosen't start after all this? I would crack open the easiest line to get at on the HPOP and have someone turn it over. Watch if oil squirts out?

97 F350 XL std cab, zf5, srw (converted), 4wd, 3.55s, stock wheels/tires & rebuilt 9.18
2 Donaldsons, 3" dp, ACs, T500, HV LPOP, Hydra w/PHP, DIY 60 gl tank w/6 gl sump, eFuel/Cat filters, Aeromotive RR, Auber instruments, 140v IDM, KC 300X 63/70/84, boost fooler, RiffRaff bellowed up pipes, 6.0 IC, 3" plenums w/RiffRaff inserts & SB 425HD
post #3 of 5 Old 03-06-2018, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTo View Post
Have you tried disconnecting the ICP sensor connector. Check if their is oil in it? The PCM will then default to 725 HPOP psi. It should start with that. Have you checked how much oil is in the reservoir? All superdutyies had a 17 degree HPOP. That being said, it will run fine if someone put a 15 degree unit on it. At this point I would suspect the IPR; get one from a salvage yard or rebuild it. If it starts then? I would buy a motorcraft IPR to install and keep the salvage unit for an emergency spare.

If it dosen't start after all this? I would crack open the easiest line to get at on the HPOP and have someone turn it over. Watch if oil squirts out?
Thanks for the reply I looked last night and it appears to be 17* but it has a older style reservoir on it could that cause a issue? I have already tried everything you mentioned to no avail except pulling a line.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-10-2018, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I'm not sure about the reservoir? I would hook up a hydraulic pressure gauge; test the pump (dead headed) and then test each head. Years back when I had an issue, I found one of my injectors leaking bad.

97 F350 XL std cab, zf5, srw (converted), 4wd, 3.55s, stock wheels/tires & rebuilt 9.18
2 Donaldsons, 3" dp, ACs, T500, HV LPOP, Hydra w/PHP, DIY 60 gl tank w/6 gl sump, eFuel/Cat filters, Aeromotive RR, Auber instruments, 140v IDM, KC 300X 63/70/84, boost fooler, RiffRaff bellowed up pipes, 6.0 IC, 3" plenums w/RiffRaff inserts & SB 425HD
post #5 of 5 Old 03-10-2018, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
The early 99s had the 15*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KC38R, CNC Fab stage 1 HPOP, PHP Hydra, (1023, Gearhead & PHP tunes), AFE stage 2, 4" turbo back exhaust, gutted cat, ford reman trans, JW valve body, 6.0 trans cooler, EGT trans temp boost gauges, Hutch and Harpoon mod, riffraf FRx, Pro Comp leveling kit, 1" zone shackels, 08 rear diff cover, 315 Toyo AT2,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode