fluid leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-01-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fluid leak

Let me say that I am not mechanically inclined so my question may seem stupid so please bare with me. I have an early MY99, 7.3L, F350. underneath the truck to the rear and directly behind the oil pan drain plug and to the front of the transmission pan drain is a small opening (kind of half moon shaped) that has fluid leaking from it. Can anyone tell me what this is and where the fluid may be coming from? Thanks in advance for helping a novice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-01-2018, 12:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In most cases, this is coming from up top, flowing through a hole behind the turbo, down the back of the block, and drips from where you describe.

Take a flashlight and look in the engines "valley" (under all that piping, wires, & hoses) for puddled fluid. See if you can tell if it's Oil or Fuel.

Here's an interesting video, BUT I have to warn you about this guy,,,, he makes some Good Videos, that Does NOT make him infallible. He's got some really GOOFY theories (not about this though) So, don't take him as your Guru, as many do Confirm his advice on anything else he says

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners
The Following User Says Thank You to NoRalPh For This Useful Post:
dau12 (03-01-2018)
post #3 of 5 Old 03-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1517 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Agreed. most of the time oil is traveling down from the top of the engine. It fools less than experienced people into thinking its a rear main when in fact is a $7 o ring pair.

Even for someone who isn't a mechanic replacing what is called the turbo pedestal o rings is not hard. I would look on youtube there are some very helpful and indepth videos. I would not buy the o rings just yet though.

common oil leak spots on 7.3l:

-Turbo to pedestal o rings (the o rings that allow oil from the engine into the turbo to lubricate the bearings)
-CCV O rings- some small o rings that allow oil vapor from the engine into the intake hose (the hose that has your air filter on the end)
-HPOP Lines and hpop end fittings-there are two lines and 4 end fittings that use a special tool to disconnect
-there are also 4 large bolts with an o ring one on each of the heads front/rear that can leak (most times its the rear by the hot exhaust pipes/up pipes)
-uncommon but happens-high pressure oil pump (HPOP) top cover gasket o ring, and various gaskets/o rings for the HPOP it self.
-oil dipstick tube adapter fitting- on lower pass side of engine oil pan. usually leaks ALOT and is somewhat difficult to replace with some aftermarket kits out there.
*there are probably a few more but those are the ones I see the most.

I have been buying o rings for powerstrokes from this website for years with great prices and quality OEM stuff.

DieselOrings

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustinOOO9 For This Useful Post:
dau12 (03-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-01-2018, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One further note. I just had the timing cover replaced by a local diesel shop. They had to pull the engine to do this. Now I have this other leak. Does the fact that the engine was recently pulled increase my odds that the new leak is coming from the rear main, or from any of the other suggested areas for that matter? It's not coming from the oil pan seal itself. I should still be under warranty for the timing cover replacement.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-02-2018, 08:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
My 2000 f350 has the same leak and itís the turbo. Then again my turbo impeller looks like it chewed on a bolt at some point so a little oil leak is understandable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode