Noticed I needed ball joints again while doing power steering fluid flush - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 02-19-2018, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noticed I needed ball joints again while doing power steering fluid flush

If you haven't even done a power steering fluid (Dex/Merc ATF) flush in your truck - do it now!!! It was really easy, the existing fluid was really dirty and wow now my steering is very smooth and my brake pedal is way harder. While I had the wheels in the air I decided to check the ball joints - and guess what? I need new ones. I had a Ford tech do them as a side job when I first bought the truck and it had 105,000 miles on it and they were pretty sloppy. Now it's 90,000 miles later and the job needs to be done again. Seems to be par for the course with a 1,500 lb engine.

I'll probably do the job this time, it was easy to pay someone last time but I don't have him as a resource any longer and there aren't many folks I trust working on my truck.

Anyone have a favorite source for a kit with all the seals, o rings and joints all included? I used Motorcraft last time, I'll probably go with Moog this time. While I am in there, should I proactively replace the wheel hub bearing on the side that hasn't already been done? Truck is coming up on 200k miles. Anything else I should proactively replace while I am in there? I plan to keep the truck for a while. I will probably replace the brakes with high performance pads now that I haul a travel trailer regularly - anyone have a recommendation? Rotors too?

Boy this maintenance job has turned into quite a project. So far this winter - EGT, boost and trans temp gauges, trans flush, power steering flush, turbo rebuild, fuel filters, oil change, glow plugs, UVC harnesses, wicked wheel 2, bellowed up pipes, all U joints, deleted pedestal, high flow turbo outlet, aux backup lights.... and now coming up next - ball joints. lol

Thanks!
Scott

2000 XLT F-250 7.3 Crew Cab Auto w/Transgo shift kit 193K mi
4" MBRP turbo back exhaust w/muffler
PHP TS chip - 65 tow/80DD/120 race
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stancor relay
Wicked wheel 2 + non EBPV pedestal + bellowed up pipes
Broken-into door lock mod
6637 filter
285/75/16 Hankook ATM's
2" Rough Country add a leafs all around
In the Driveway:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, chipped! (For the wife) SOLD!
1995 Ford Mustang 3.8 (
)
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 gasser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-19-2018, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
My truck ended up need wheel bearings and ball joints all around the same time. I ended up going with Timken unit bearings and dynatrac prosteer ball joints. As for seal I ordered Ford brand from amazon. I broke one of the front axle shafts and went with an aftermarket set that get rid of the dust seals on the end of the axle tube.

2001 F350 ec,4x4 warn manual hubs, Dynatrac Prosteer ball joints, AFE Magnum Stage 2 intake, Dieselsite coolant filter, NUC motorsports bypass oil filter, sinister coated and wrapped up pipes, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust, Autometer pyro and boost, php hydra, ebpv delete, aih delete, stancor relay, Duraflap mud flaps, Barder 360 thrust bearing, Barder 4/4 compressor wheel, nitro 4340 front axles, Yukon limited slip front differential, cncfab 4 line fuel kit, adrenaline hpop.
post #3 of 26 Old 02-19-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Right on, I just ordered a wheel hub- I found the $700 bill from when I had to have the stealership do it when I was in a pinch. That was motivation enough to buy the $300 hub.

I also bought the yellow o rings, dust and axle seals from rockauto.

Ordered Moog ball joints top and bottom. I'll have a local drive shaft shop swap in some U joints in the front axles while they are out.

What about the needle bearings? Anything I should do to the 4x4 hubs while I am in there? Other o rings to buy?

Last thing I am considering getting some good rotors and Hawk LTS pads for up front and resurfacing the rears and getting Hawk pads for back there too. Are the powerslot cryos the way to go or what??

Thanks -
Scott

Stancor relay
6637 filter
285/75/16 Hankook ATM's
In the Driveway:
1995 Ford Mustang 3.8 (
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 02-19-2018, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP5947 View Post
That was motivation enough to buy the $300 hub.
Did you pay $300 for one hub?!? The O-rings you got from RockAuto they have Timken hubs for around $150-175ea, alot cheaper then Motorcraft. There are a lot of parts that you should stick with Motorcraft on, but you can go aftermarket on some things that are still good quality and don't have the proud Motorcraft prices, wheel bearing hubs are one of those items. To each their own I guess

Quote:
What about the needle bearings? Anything I should do to the 4x4 hubs while I am in there? Other o rings to buy?
The needle bearing is part of the wheel hub assembly. The new one should come greased from the factory, but you can put a little more in them if you like. Don't go to crazy with it. If the manual hubs work good I wouldn't mess with them. Not sure if you have OEM hubs or not, but I know Warn offers service kits for alot of their hubs.

-2001 F250 Extended Cab SWB 4x4 : ZF-6 speed, TS 6 pos chip, ISSPRO EV2 gauges, Adrenaline HPOP. STOLEN RIP

Current-1999 F250 Extended Cab LWB 4x4: ZF-6 speed, Hydra w/ PHP Tunes, ISSPRO EV2 Gauges, 5in exhaust, BD Performance turbo, AIS Intake.

Last edited by sullir23; 02-19-2018 at 02:26 PM.
post #5 of 26 Old 02-19-2018, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
I wonder how the Dana 60 (2005 and later) stand up to the front weight? Any you guys know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 26 Old 02-19-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

I know, I admit it's a bit crazy but I just have been bitten in the butt too many times buying replacement parts. I go for value and end up replacing it 30,000 miles later. I can't stand that. I know that Timken probably would have been fine but ah well I have it on the way.

Ended up picking up hawk pads and slotted rotors front and rear. Not a ton of money to invest in better braking, IMO.

Scott

Stancor relay
6637 filter
285/75/16 Hankook ATM's
In the Driveway:
1995 Ford Mustang 3.8 (
)
post #7 of 26 Old 02-21-2018, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

I'm on the fence as to whether or not to buy or rent the ball joints press to do this job. Which of the harbor freight kits will work with our trucks?
Scott

Stancor relay
6637 filter
285/75/16 Hankook ATM's
In the Driveway:
1995 Ford Mustang 3.8 (
)
post #8 of 26 Old 02-21-2018, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
When I did my wheel bearings I serviced my auto hubs like this - Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page

I didnt want to have any issues when I really need 4wd so I cut and plugged the vacuum lines for my hubs to make them manual

Also, here is a write up on the brake caliper pins. I replaced mine with so called "upgraded" ones from Ford.
Welcome to guzzle's Front Caliper Slide Pin Upgrade Web

2001 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke
Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, LB, AT
AIS intake
3/9/17 - bought used 194k miles
3/15/17- New stock radiator
3/15/17- New 6.0 OEM 26 row trans cooler
4/15/17- Edge Insight ( with EGT)
6/9/17 - Hydra with stock PHP tunes

2004 32' Sandpiper 5th wheel by Forest River - 11,000# fully loaded
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch

post #9 of 26 Old 02-21-2018, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm on the fence as to whether or not to buy or rent the ball joints press to do this job. Which of the harbor freight kits will work with our trucks?
Scott
I would just go rent the kit, unless you planning on changing ball joints on a regular basis no need to spend the coin. The ones the auto part stores rent tend to work pretty as long as you have a good pneumatic impact and air supply to work the press.

-2001 F250 Extended Cab SWB 4x4 : ZF-6 speed, TS 6 pos chip, ISSPRO EV2 gauges, Adrenaline HPOP. STOLEN RIP

Current-1999 F250 Extended Cab LWB 4x4: ZF-6 speed, Hydra w/ PHP Tunes, ISSPRO EV2 Gauges, 5in exhaust, BD Performance turbo, AIS Intake.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-21-2018, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Maybe go to AutoZone, buy Moog joints from them, I don't think you don't have to "rent" anything...

https://www.autozone.com/landing/pag...me=loan-a-tool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode