PLEASE HELP... F250 7.3 stalls (only) after a complete tank fill - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 Old 06-12-2017, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Yea, it's time to take some sensor readings when this happens. At one time getting even basic sensor readings and a complete code retrieval was expensive, but no more ->

Because it's a pre-'01 the first thing I would pay attention to is the Tach Needle when it won't restart. You should see it bounce-up to show cranking rpm (shows the CPS is doing its job).

This is sounding like a sensor that is failing as it heats up. Most often we think of the CPS or the IPR. Once you have one of those inexpensive apps you can monitor many things that will help you determine where the problem is I'm sure.

Just "out of left field", how's the Oil? Full & Fresh? Could it be Long overdue for a change? (foaming of really tired oil can do stuff like you describe)
Sorry for the delay In response... just spent 4 days in the hospital. Had to be rush in for a cardiac Cath after experiencing chest pain. They found an 80% blockage on the "widow maker"! Man glad I didn't ignore the chest pain!

Back to the truck (lol) as for my oil ALWAYS changed at 5k, full synthetic oil. I'm going to look into the advised app to scan it and see what's the sensor readings.

I did have the ICP and IPR replaced in February 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 06-12-2017, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

FYI... I used my phone to record the last time my truck stalled. I reviewed it and my RPM needle is bouncing up when I turn the key to crank it to start.

Not sure how to post videos here or I would post the videos I took of it...
post #23 of 38 Old 06-12-2017, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletusjermal View Post
They have the torque app now where you get a Bluetooth doggle and use your phone. I think it is about 30 for the Bluetooth doggle and I think 5 for the app. It will let you see all the parameters the computer is reading and see if something is bad.

If you want a full up scanner they have auto enginuity that is about 300
Can you give me more detail on how to use a Bluetooth dongle and my phone? I have an iPhone so which app would be best to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 Old 06-12-2017, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
That I can't help you with. I ended up getting auto enginuity so I have never used the phone and doggle set up personally. I just know they have them. Someone on here should be able to help you with it though.

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Soldó2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 38 Old 06-13-2017, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firzout View Post
Can you give me more detail on how to use a Bluetooth dongle and my phone? I have an iPhone so which app would be best to use?
It's all here -> https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-...sis-cheap.html
post #26 of 38 Old 06-13-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I spoke with a friend who has the same year and model superduty. He said his truck stalled once while driving and it took a few weeks for a diesel mechanic to find the problem. It ended up being his camshaft sensor (CPS).

What do you guys think?

If it's the CPS would it only cause the truck to stall randomly?

It's only a $30 item, I feel like replacing it, but if it doesn't resolve the issue... I'll have ChESt PAIN again! 😂
post #27 of 38 Old 06-13-2017, 11:21 AM

Because it's a 2000, you can quickly tell if the CPS is causing it not to restart (not the "quitting" part though). Look at the Tach Needle as you're cranking on the starter, you should signs of movement, it should bounce-up to show you the cranking rpm.

IF you see that movement And it doesn't Start, it's not gonna be because of the CPS sensor (that rpm reading is from the CPS)

That being said, Everybody should at least carry a spare CPS so, even if this didn't fix anything, your old one would become your spare. But, Only buy a Ford or IH sensors. No Aftermarket!
post #28 of 38 Old 06-13-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Because it's a 2000, you can quickly tell if the CPS is causing it not to restart (not the "quitting" part though). Look at the Tach Needle as you're cranking on the starter, you should signs of movement, it should bounce-up to show you the cranking rpm.
IF you see that movement And it doesn't Start, it's not gonna be because of the CPS sensor (that rpm reading is from the CPS)

That being said, Everybody should at least carry a spare CPS so, even if this didn't fix anything, your old one would become your spare. But, Only buy a Ford or IH sensors. No Aftermarket!
Thanks for the quick reply. So to clarify... if I crank and my rpm needle moves up, it's NOT my CPS?
post #29 of 38 Old 06-13-2017, 12:02 PM

That's right, if you can see that then that means CPS is doing its "job" by telling the PCM where the cam is moving and giving the rpm signal for the Tach to work at the same time...
post #30 of 38 Old 06-13-2017, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firzout View Post
Sorry for the delay In response... just spent 4 days in the hospital. Had to be rush in for a cardiac Cath after experiencing chest pain. They found an 80% blockage on the "widow maker"! Man glad I didn't ignore the chest pain!

Back to the truck (lol) as for my oil ALWAYS changed at 5k, full synthetic oil. I'm going to look into the advised app to scan it and see what's the sensor readings.

I did have the ICP and IPR replaced in February 2017
I didn't even see this post. Glad you didn't ignore it and you are ok. I'm surprised it was only a few days that you were out.

But as NoRalPh was saying it is not a bad idea to get a spare CPS and put it in the glove box. Only get ford or international as he mentioned. As a general rule of thumb for any sensors or electrical components you only want ford or international. They are more but worth the price.

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Soldó2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cletusjermal; 06-13-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode