Rock Krawler Hauler Build - 99 CCSB 7.3 4wd - Pic Heavy - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 92 Old 12-12-2016, 05:48 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice Man! the trucks coming along!!! nice Jeep, I'm huge into Crawling too but more of a yota man

but the biggest thing like some of the other guys mentions is a bigger Transcooler!!!

then ya gauges are nice, its always reassuring when you can monitor the truck when towing

01 F250 7.3 CC SB 4X4 THE MOST BADASS 7.3L AROUND!!! too many parts to to list!! wont fit in the Sig. Block!!! but check out the build thread, well worth the time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUILD THREAD^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 92 Old 12-12-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Never trust a man in flip flops!!

Is your grill an Ebay one or you cut it yourself?

What axles you running in your TJ?
Hey now, it was the middle of summer! haha

I got the grille on eBay from seller fordtruckgrill - it was the second one I've ordered from him and it is very nice. Definitely professionally done. I tried to include the link to one of his listings but it won't let me post the link.

After breaking the dana 30 twice in the jeep, I swapped in a 2015 JK Rubicon Dana 44, trussed, sleeved, gusseted, LCA skids, & regeared to 5.13. In the rear I swapped in a Ford 8.8 with a Yukon Ultimate 88 kit & a Detroit locker. It's been rock solid on my 38" Falken stickies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackMicF View Post
Nice Man! the trucks coming along!!! nice Jeep, I'm huge into Crawling too but more of a yota man

but the biggest thing like some of the other guys mentions is a bigger Transcooler!!!

then ya gauges are nice, its always reassuring when you can monitor the truck when towing
Thank you! Those yotas can get it done for sure. I'm right with you on trans cooler & gauges, definitely what I want to address next. Any advice on which cooler to go with?

&
@mattgraham79
post #13 of 92 Old 12-12-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yesterday I did some work to the front bumper where the previous owner hit a deer. It's not perfect but much better than before. Also installed some tow hooks since those were missing when I got it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapseed_1481581690293.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	583289  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 92 Old 12-12-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
While I was working on the front bumper I got to see the damage from the previous owner hitting that deer. I'm thinking honestly it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace both of those parts. No leaks in any of those places thankfully. Is the bottom cooler down there what most people replace with a better cooler, or do most folks add a cooler in addition to that?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0003_1481581849960.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	583297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004_1481581870224.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	583305  
post #15 of 92 Old 12-12-2016, 10:25 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The big black cooler is your AC and The bottom cooler way smaller and grey in your picture is the power steering fluid cooler. The trans cooler is above the small Cooler and behind the ac concensor

The two most popular trans cooler
Upgrades are: 1. 6.0 trans cooler. I would advice the 26 row vs the larger 31 row. It's cheaper, no real difference in cooling and easier to install.

2. The tru cool unit. ( I wish I did this one) I did it in a friends truck it's easier to install, fits way better but it's not hidden behind the ac condenser.

But both would net you 20-30plia degree cooler. I towed my 84 4runner from CA to ID Barley saw over 130 degrees hahaha.

But again I'd go with the tru cool unit and get the extra $8 superduty install kit.

The 6.0 cooler forces your trans cooler lines to route funky without extra work and you need some 1/2 to 3/8 barbed fittings which are hard to find in one piece units. While the tru cool isn't super pretty it's way easier to install and allows your trans cooler lines to be protected by the truck etc.
john galt and mattgraham79 like this.

Last edited by JustinOOO9; 12-12-2016 at 10:31 PM.
post #16 of 92 Old 12-12-2016, 10:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

Garage
My oem cooler on the bottom. The Dorman 6.0, 31 row trans cooler on top.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2137_1481610393229.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	583433  
post #17 of 92 Old 12-14-2016, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
The big black cooler is your AC and The bottom cooler way smaller and grey in your picture is the power steering fluid cooler. The trans cooler is above the small Cooler and behind the ac concensor

The two most popular trans cooler
Upgrades are: 1. 6.0 trans cooler. I would advice the 26 row vs the larger 31 row. It's cheaper, no real difference in cooling and easier to install.

2. The tru cool unit. ( I wish I did this one) I did it in a friends truck it's easier to install, fits way better but it's not hidden behind the ac condenser.

But both would net you 20-30plia degree cooler. I towed my 84 4runner from CA to ID Barley saw over 130 degrees hahaha.

But again I'd go with the tru cool unit and get the extra $8 superduty install kit.

The 6.0 cooler forces your trans cooler lines to route funky without extra work and you need some 1/2 to 3/8 barbed fittings which are hard to find in one piece units. While the tru cool isn't super pretty it's way easier to install and allows your trans cooler lines to be protected by the truck etc.
Thanks! I spent a lot of time reading after I posted this and that's the exact game plan I came up with. I think I'm going to start with the trucool unit and a trans temp gauge, and then, if needed, look at swapping out the factory trans cooler. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
My oem cooler on the bottom. The Dorman 6.0, 31 row trans cooler on top.
That's what I was looking at. As far as money goes it seems like the no-brainer way to go over buying the Ford unit. Saw it on Amazon prime for $157 shipped.

&
@mattgraham79
post #18 of 92 Old 12-14-2016, 07:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

Garage
ya the factory 6.0 motorcraft cooler is over $300 for the 26 row and the 31 row and don't get me wrong are great but ton of people have had the dorman unit just fine.

but your doing the right thing with the tru cool unit... Its just so much easier for installation, easier on your arms not getting cut up, and cleaner for the new lines etc.

Its not required to remove the bumper but dang does it make it easier lol...
john galt and mattgraham79 like this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #19 of 92 Old 12-15-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Dropped the truck off yesterday at the shop to get the foot in the fuel tank replaced, also did the screens in there. Didn't fool with the hutch mod but did do the harpoon mod thing.

I also told them to check the glow plug relay because it's been wanting to be plugged up to crank at around 40-45 degrees. He said he grabbed one of the wires and the relay broke apart. Thought about doing the new upgraded heavy duty gpr but I'm sure the stock replacement will do me just fine.

This morning it was about 40 degrees and it fired right up : )
(had a video but it won't let me post the link....not enough posts yet?)

So I did a lot of reading on gauges yesterday. My main priority right now is preparing for that trip from GA to TN towing the jeep on New Years weekend. I'd love to go ahead & install the tru-cool trans cooler and a way to monitor the trans temp. I believe I've decided I want to avoid the glowshift gauges and do the Isspro's or Autometer. I looked at the Edge displays but I'm thinking I'd prefer the a-pillar pods. Don't have the funds to go ahead & order the whole kit for the 3 or 4 pod setup, so I was thinking I might could get the pod setup that holds 3 or 4, & just get the trans temp gauge for now, then add the others later. I know I'd want the trans temp, EGT, & boost. Not sure if I really need the fuel or not. I'm not trying to sink a fortune into this truck or turn it into a monster, just want it to be reliable and tow well. Any thoughts?

&
@mattgraham79
post #20 of 92 Old 12-15-2016, 08:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

Garage
you are gonna pay $3-400 plus time to get the traditional pillar pod and its a lot more work then most people realize.

Yes the edge might be $50-100 more but you can do SO MUVH MORE. you can read and clear codes, you can monitor your hpop, ipr,icp, and about a 100 other sensors. You can also set alerts so lets say you are monitoring trans temp, egt, and boost, and then you get a hpop leak you can set limits high/low and even if you're not monitoring that on your screen it will alert you. You can also set up your miles and set maintenance reminders and you can get the older edge insight cs and a egt probe for under $450 shipped... the newer edge cs/cts has a larger screen but you are tyring to save money and make this a great long lasting rig with simple investments....

the edge uses your obd2 port and one extra wire for the egt probe. verse the 3+hours or hacking and splicing a pod and you wont save any money if you value your worth per hour in time or even paying someone to install it will be $$$

I use the older edge unit and paid $125 on craigslist. I had one on my prior rig but then didn't have trucks for a couple years. best investment hands down... you don't need fuel I feel personally and the edge can monitor all you need with a simple egt probe

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3 diesel f250 , f-250 , f-250 crewcab , powerstroke 7.3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode