Ford SuperDuty Diagnosis on the Cheap - Page 7 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 110 Old 04-14-2017, 09:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a question concerning getting the OBDlink LX vs the OBDlink MX. I see the additional feature seems to be it's ability to use the proprietory Ford MS CAN. I have only my 2000 7.3 6 spd man. 2wd F250 with 265K miles....Trying to figure out whether to spend the extra $30 for the MX unit and whether the MS CAN offers much to the individual owner just doing their own maintenance on an every day driver? Thanks for any information to assist in educating a novice to this area of maintenance tools.
My truck has been down for 2 weeks now and I need the ability to read codes. I'm in a little town without a competent mechanic that has a unit to read my trucks codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 110 Old 04-14-2017, 09:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
I've used the LX for a few years now. I may purchase MX in the future so I can communicate with the newer stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperchargedPSD For This Useful Post:
00t444e (04-15-2017)
post #63 of 110 Old 04-15-2017, 02:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedPSD View Post
I've used the LX for a few years now. I may purchase MX in the future so I can communicate with the newer stuff.
Newer stuff ? As in newer vehicles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 110 Old 04-16-2017, 09:59 PM

Yes. They have all the specifications of thier products on the website.
post #65 of 110 Old 05-11-2017, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Garage
I apologize if this has been asked and answered, but does anyone know if any of these will read the abs codes. My abs light came on a few weeks ago and I hate the thought of throwing parts at it.

2003 F-350, CC, LB, 285/75/16, Autometer Gages, Fox 2.0's (Thanks to Corey), Sninister Bypass Coolant Filter, 4" Turbo Back,Leece-Neville 230 Amp Alternator, 6.4 litre starter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #66 of 110 Old 06-13-2017, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey all, I have a question concerning the Bluetooth reader. Im not sure if I need to get the OBDlink LX, the OBDlink MX or does the reader that scoutcamper used, which costs around $12 on amazon? What is the difference between the $12, $50, and $80 Bluetooth OBD readers? Will the $12 reader do the same as the more expensive OBDlink LX and the OBDlink MX?

Thanks in advance...
post #67 of 110 Old 06-13-2017, 01:05 PM

You kind of get what you pay for. I use the OBDlink LX. The MX is needed if you are trying to communicate to the newer vehicles that use CAN communication. The difference between the cheap adapters and expensive is communication speed, quality, and warranty. For example OBDlink has 3 year factory warranty. Does the cheap adapters even have technical support? Most do not. You can view all the adapters and specs of OBDlinks product line on thier website. To what systems they will communicate with and speed etc etc. That being said if you just using it to pull codes you can use a cheaper adapter but make sure it will communicate to the J1850 Ford Protocol. I have another cheap adapter that will talk too imports but will not communicate with some of the domestic J1850 protos

Last edited by SuperchargedPSD; 06-13-2017 at 01:09 PM.
post #68 of 110 Old 06-14-2017, 08:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedPSD View Post
You kind of get what you pay for. I use the OBDlink LX. The MX is needed if you are trying to communicate to the newer vehicles that use CAN communication. The difference between the cheap adapters and expensive is communication speed, quality, and warranty. For example OBDlink has 3 year factory warranty. Does the cheap adapters even have technical support? Most do not. You can view all the adapters and specs of OBDlinks product line on thier website. To what systems they will communicate with and speed etc etc. That being said if you just using it to pull codes you can use a cheaper adapter but make sure it will communicate to the J1850 Ford Protocol. I have another cheap adapter that will talk too imports but will not communicate with some of the domestic J1850 protos
I agree you get what you pay for, and I don't mind paying the extra $$ for the better scan tool OBDlink LX, BUT when I read the reviews the guys with a 2000 F250 7.3 (like I have) say it doesn't work on the 2000. I tried calling scan tool but they do not provide a contact number. So can anyone confirm or deny if the OBDlink LX will work with a 2000 F250 7.3?
post #69 of 110 Old 06-15-2017, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I couldn't get anyone from OBDlink to answer my questions, but I did get a lot of information from someone with BAFX, they even gave me the step and step instruction if my 2000 is one that has the issue with the ECU reading the scan reader. I went ahead and bought one today. I'll see what happens. Keep everyone posted.
post #70 of 110 Old 06-15-2017, 06:39 PM

All trucks with a 7.3 will be using the J1850 PWM protocol to communicate. I have used the OBDlink LX on my 97 a E99, 2000 and a 05 6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode