My 99 to 2005 Front End Conversion Write Up with lots of Pics. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 99 Old 05-05-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 99 to 2005 Front End Conversion Write Up with lots of Pics.

Ok I finally finished my 05 Conversion today. I took several pictures and decided to do a write up to hopefully clear up some people's questions. I love it. Let me know what you think guys.

Pictures are all thumbs. Click to see full size.

Before.

Here is a picture of the new parts required for 05 conversion. I also bought a box of body bolts, and clips. Some of the bolts and clips from the old parts were reused as well, so try and save as much as you can.

First, Remove the old Grille by taking out the 4 phillips screws in the top. The bottom is held in with clips, and can be popped out.

Now remove the bumper by taking out the 4 18mm bolts beside the tow hooks in the front bumper. There is also air ducting, block heater wiring, and fog light wiring, that will be connected to the bumper with plastic push connectors. You will reuse these bolts, and the bolts holding the brackets to the old bumper.

Now remove the old corner lights by removing the screws pictured below the corner lights. Then pry out on the lights gently until it pops out. Then unplug the wires, and remove the lights.

Next unplug the headlight wiring, and remove the entire header panel with the headlights included. There are 4 or 6 bolts holding it on, can't remember for sure. There is also air ducting connected to the header panel with push in connectors that must be removed too. Your truck should now look like this.

Put the new 05 header panel in place. It's pretty straight forward, just reverse the removal process of the old header panel. All the holes for the original header panel should line up, and the original bolts will be reused. The new header panel is not necessary. You can modify your existing header by cutting the header around the headlights as outlined in several other posts here.

Now begin installing the new headlights. I used body bolts and clips as pictured. You can also reuse the screws from the bottom of your corner lights if you want. My bottom signal light wire harness would not plug into the new light socket pre-installed in the new light. I simply pulled out the old light socket from the original corner light, switched the yellow bulb from new light socket to the old light socket, and put it in the new housing. Not easy to explain, but incredibly easy to do. Everything else went together easily.

Wiring with adapters from Stealth Automotive.

Wire connections for new lights.

Top.

Bottom.

Now begin putting the bumper assembly together. First attach the new 05 bumper brackets to the new bumper using bolts, and clips from the old bumper. It will look like this.

Once both bumper brackets are installed, attach the bumper cover to the bumper assembly. There are clips molded into the new bumper cover which snap into place with firm pressure. There are also 4 body bolts that hold the bumper cover in place.

The completed bumper assembly should look like this.

Now install the new bumper using the 18mm bolts taken from the old bumper. I held up the bumper, and started the bolts, and nuts. Then I used a floor jack, and a pry bar to raise, and align the bumper with the headlights, and fenders.

Bolts.

Installed.

After lining up and tightening the bumper, it's time to install the new grille. Push in on the bottom of the grill to engage the metal clips that hold the bottom, to the header panel. You will hear them click in place. Then reuse the 4 screws you took from the top of the old grille.

Check that all your air ducts are reconnected, and inspect to see that you haven't forgotten anything.

And now the finished product. Let me know what you think guys.

My helper.

I didn't cover the fog lights, because my truck didn't have them.

I also had an issue with the bumper corners sticking out. I fixed this by making simple brackets that connect the bumper to the inner fender, and pulling the corners of the bumper in. If you have this problem, let me know. And can add some pictures of the brackets I made. My bumper was used, and the bumper brackets were after market. I think that might have been some of the alignment problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 Old 05-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Very nice job
post #3 of 99 Old 05-05-2009, 08:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
great write up!..hopefully this will stop our 1000 threads a week about 05+ conversions..

i wonder if a mod can make this a sticky!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 99 Old 05-05-2009, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Most of the 05 bumpers stick out past the fenders and do not align with the profile of the wheel well. I would like to see your bracket.. Nice write up..
post #5 of 99 Old 05-07-2009, 06:29 PM

Great write up thank you! I'll be useing this in the near future. MUST BE A STICKY.
post #6 of 99 Old 05-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks great but those excursion rims gotta go!

Project Frankenstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1997 Ford F-350, Dually conversion, Cobra 29 LX CB, 12000 watt converter, All LED lights, PHP Hydra, 4" DP, Napa Intake, coolant filter, 140cc AD Injectors and lots of running lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLOSIV View Post
Thanks. I'll give er a good wackin in the morning.
post #7 of 99 Old 05-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
Most of the 05 bumpers stick out past the fenders and do not align with the profile of the wheel well. I would like to see your bracket.. Nice write up..
When I got done with mine, I thought for sure that I screwed something up since the bumper was sticking out on both sides. I looked at a friend of mine's 05 and then rode around town and found a couple of parked 05+ trucks and the trim pieces on all of them stuck out past the fenders so that made me feel better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Early 99 F250 with a bunch of extra junk...
post #8 of 99 Old 05-08-2009, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just bought everything to do mine, do I need to buy the '05 bumper brackets or will my '01 brackets work? Where is the bumper sticking out? Does it look bad?
post #9 of 99 Old 05-08-2009, 06:16 AM
Emergency Services

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
looks good man

post #10 of 99 Old 05-08-2009, 06:27 AM

looks good and nice write up. now get some tow mirrors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode