• 2 Post By Jjorgis5569

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-14-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Before 4r100 fails

I have a 2000 f350 that Iíve had about 4 or 5 years now without an issue. It has 215k on the original trans and engine and runs great. I got it from my father in law who bought it new and maintained it great. Iím amazed everything has lasted this long but I feel like Iím on borrowed time given this transmissions reputation.

I know of the trans builders everyone always talks about but it seems like everyone waits till they take a crap then try and get it all fixed. Is there a normal or standard method for ďbulletproofingĒ that I can do before it fails and maybe save some money in the long run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-14-2019, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Get a new one, itíll cost nearly the same in the long run. I did what you are talking about and wish I had put my money in a BTS or Twisted diesel trans instead.

1999 F250 Supercrew LB
MBRP 4" straight pipe
S&B
PHP Hydra
Edge Insight CTS2
Sweet IH Steering knob (adds at least 1000HP)

"I have never bought anything with money. Everything I have was bought with pieces of time I sold from my life to a job that will never have paid enough when my time is up."

Spem Successus Alit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-15-2019, 03:10 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_7.3 View Post
without an issue. original trans and engine and runs great.
I got it from my father in law who bought it new and maintained it great.
I kept what I felt was pertinent, and what I based my opinion upon. Keep your fluid clean and cool. Continue the regular maintenance, and possibly think about adding an external cooler. Nothing wrong with an autozone unit off the shelf to help out. Thereís one thing that will absolutely shorten the life of the engine, transmission, diff, and even the tires-your right foot.

My ďfrom an old manĒ advice is to open a separate savings or money market account. Every paycheck or month, (whichever works for you), have x dollars direct deposited or transferred to that account. When you need repairs, tires, or whatever for the truck the money is there waiting. Iíd be willing to bet something else will happen before the trans takes a dump.
Kryptic_361 and McCannon like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jjorgis5569 For This Useful Post:
AZ_7.3 (09-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-16-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjorgis5569 View Post
I kept what I felt was pertinent, and what I based my opinion upon. Keep your fluid clean and cool. Continue the regular maintenance, and possibly think about adding an external cooler. Nothing wrong with an autozone unit off the shelf to help out. Thereís one thing that will absolutely shorten the life of the engine, transmission, diff, and even the tires-your right foot.

My ďfrom an old manĒ advice is to open a separate savings or money market account. Every paycheck or month, (whichever works for you), have x dollars direct deposited or transferred to that account. When you need repairs, tires, or whatever for the truck the money is there waiting. Iíd be willing to bet something else will happen before the trans takes a dump.
Yea the separate account is a good idea, takes some of the sting out when something needs to be replaced if I have an account already with money specifically for that
post #5 of 7 Old 09-16-2019, 06:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Before 4r100 fails

The stock trans usually fails because of lack of cooling. If youíre running a hot tune or any performance mods, the torque converter is the next weak link. Many people upgrade the valve body as well. You can do all these things, but if you arenít doing it yourself, price-wise, youíd be better off getting a different trans. Iíll be going with a Sam Wyse stage 1 shortly, which is $3100. And lightyears ahead of a stock trans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 09-17-2019, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3_TurboDiesel View Post
The stock trans usually fails because of lack of cooling. If youíre running a hot tune or any performance mods, the torque converter is the next weak link. Many people upgrade the valve body as well. You can do all these things, but if you arenít doing it yourself, price-wise, youíd be better off getting a different trans. Iíll be going with a Sam Wyse stage 1 shortly, which is $3100. And lightyears ahead of a stock trans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iím not running any tune, just stock. Stock wheels with stock tire size. Basically using the truck for what it was made for Iím its stock form.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-17-2019, 08:00 AM
Hate stupid people

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
just toss on a 6.0 trans cooler and keep trucking.
1 of our farm trucks is a f450 with original 400K+ miles, stock except exhaust and 6.0 trans cooler.

Illiana Strokers DICtator
EFI Live tuned 6.7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in